Niantic Travel Guide

Niantic Things to Do

• leics's Profile Photo
    The main bookbarn 4 more images

by leics Written Aug 2, 2013

I was very restrained. I did not buy any books because I had domestic flights to make and knew that I'd have to carry them with me.

So I didn't look much at the books at all. But this is a truly wonderful place....

The Bookbarn has hundreds of thousands of secondhand books on every subject you can imagine, from children's picture books to rare-and-unusual academic tomes, from bodice-ripping romances to philosophy, economics, the sciences...

The main Bookbarn is stuffed with books (and complimentary coffee, tea and snacks) and there are booths, tents and structures throughout the garden with even more books. The garden itself is lovely, with flowers and streams, paths and places to picnic. There are ride-on toys for littlies and larger play equipment for larger children....and a 'Hobbit-house' under construction. And at least 12 resident cats (see their names and descriptions on the Bookbarn website), and a goat..and I spotted a terrapin too.

The website tells you books on which topics you will find in which location...there are a heck of a lot of topics!

A really super place and one for which it is most *definitely* worth making a detour to Niantic!

• Seniors

by cjg1 Updated Jul 15, 2009

Main Street Niantic has some nice shops, restaurants and even a movie theatre. I liked that they had a nice old bookstore as well that had a nice selection of books.

by cjg1 Updated Jul 13, 2009

Right under the drawbridge is Cini Park. This park is a great spot for fishing, picnics, and just enjoying the Niantic River. It also provides access to the Niantic Bay Boardwalk. Many commercial and recreational boats are docked here.

While walking around Cini Park there are nice benches to have a seat and watch the river. Many people were picnicing at the tables, swimming, fishing and boating. It was a great place to relax and enjoy each other's company in the beautiful weather.

Niantic Hotels

Niantic Restaurants

• leics's Profile Photo
    The menu...... 3 more images

by leics Written Aug 2, 2013

Just an ordinary bakery really....lots of cakes, some very ...erm..vibrantly-iced cookies, sandwiches and so on and so forth.

They hold a 'monster breakfast sandwich' eating contest every year, entrance fees donated to charity. This year the winner ate 6 sandwiches in 20 minutes.. The sandwiches? Two eggs, steak, four slices of bacon, one slice of Canadian bacon, one sausage patty and two slices of cheese in a fresh baked bun.

Not sure what to say about that!

But Giuliano's is a perfectly ok place to get some food and something to drink if you wandering along Niantic's main street. Especially on a sunday.

• Singles
    • Seniors

Niantic Shopping

Storefront 3 more images

by cjg1 Updated Jul 13, 2009

This shop caught my eye when a sundress that was hanging on an outdoor rack began blowing in the wind...... THis peaked my interest and we decided to check out what they had inside. The shop was small but had a large variety of women's clothing from casual to dressy. I automatically spotted two sundresses hanging by a mirror and pointed them out to Liz. She oved them and tried on the pink one right away. It was a knee lenth pink sundress with shoulder ties. After seeing the first dress on her; I told the owner we'll take them both. She said that was an easy sale and that they were her last two sundresses of that style.

So we walked out of there with two sundresses (a pink and an aqua) for Liz. The prices were a little more than what I would normally expect for such as small thing but I thought they were worth it.

What to buy: Anything from a top to a dress.

What to pay: Each sundress was $38 each

Niantic Warnings and Dangers

by cjg1 Written Jul 13, 2009

Summertime for Coastal Connecticut means traffic. Traffic on I-95 to get here and traffic through the town to get to various points of interest. Fortunately we don't get "stressed" in traffic so we just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Niantic Sports & Outdoors

by cjg1 Updated Jul 15, 2009

Niantic is a perfect spot for boating, jetskiing and swimming. There were plenty of people on fishing boats, pleasure boats and jet skiinng in the water during our visit. I can' say I blame them with the beautiful water and sunny weather.

Instant Answers: Niantic

Comments

Niantic Travel Guide
Map of Niantic