Norwalk Restaurants

chocolate covered cake pops
    by moiraistyx
  • Truffles and other chocolate yummy things
    Truffles and other chocolate yummy...
  • Patrick on the right, Gryphon middle and Thaddeus
    Patrick on the right, Gryphon middle and...

Most Recent Restaurants in Norwalk

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

Chocopologie Cafe: A Chocolate Lovers Dream

by moiraistyx Written Aug 30, 2013
    Patrick on the right, Gryphon middle and Thaddeus

While walking around Norwalk, the boys and I came across Chocopologie. Of course we had to check it out, just because it had the word chocolate in it. We were not disappointed that we stopped in for a snack. We shared a fondue pot which was so yummy. It came with chunks of bananas, sliced strawberries and pieces of chocolate cake for dipping. The was the boys first experience with fondue and I am glad I got to share it with them. Chocopologie also has a small menu of other food items beyond it's award winning chocolate fare, but we didn't get to check that out. From what I saw on the menu it seemed a bit on the pricey side with most items starting in the $15-$20 range. I also enjoyed a cup of coffee which was a bit on the bitter side, hinting that maybe they need to give their coffee machine a good cleaning. The cup of coffee was $3, honestly skip the coffee and run on down to McDonald's, the coffee is much better and way more cost effective. Their beverage selection is very limited. On the day we were there they only had diet coke, iced tea, coffee and lemonade to choose from. There is limited seating at this cafe, with a few tables for 4 in the front of the cafe and a long counter with stools and chairs along a thin corridor next to the food prep area.

Favorite Dish: The chocolate fondue was very yummy and perfect for sharing with the boys.

• Women's Travel

Sono Seaport Seafood Inc.: Fresh and tasty seafood and land choices

by Gypsystravels Updated Sep 24, 2012
    Yum, my whole lobster

We enjoy coming to this restaurant, especially during the off season when we don't have to wait too long for a table.

The restuarant is located at the end of a dock with views of the river. It's a bit on the small size with the bar to the right and the dining area to the left, there is also an outdoor patio where you can enjoy a nice meal during the warmer months. In the dining area there are a couple of tables scattered throughout. The kitchen is in view where they also have the daily specials listed.

The menu is quite nice with the usual fish and meat dishes.

We were seated and handed our menus and some water brought to the table. We decided to order the fried mozzarella as our appetizer, which was quite good. I looked at the menu and knew exactly what I wanted. I had the Maine Lobster with a baked potato and mixed vegatables. Ferni can't have seafood, so he ordered the NY Stip Steak with a baked potato. We ordered a side of onion rings to share.

The food was excellent, very fresh and tasty. The prices were quite reasonable and we will continue to come here as long as that is consistent.

Favorite Dish: I have had the Maine Lobster with baked potato and steamed veggies as well as sauteed tender bay scallops, yum! Ferni always orders the same, NY Strip Steak with fries or baked potatoe. The onion rings and mozzarella rings are awesome too!

• Wine Tasting

Ginger Man: Good place to grab some food

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 16, 2011
    Maine Lump Crab Cakes

This is a restaurant that has a really nice size bar which is located to the left as you enter the place. There are plenty of booths and tables where you can enjoy good food as well as some decent drinks. The menu is nice and diverse. The appetizer menu has a nice selection of fish/seafood bites and there is a nice salad selection as well as the usual burger and chicken dishes. The restaurant is quite roomy and when Ferni and I are here we always choose to sit at the bar.

We've ordered a number of items from the menu like the Steamed Prince Edward Mussels the yummy pretzel as well as the Maine Lump Crab Cakes which are served with grilled sweet potato bacon salad & cherry pepper sauce. Quite good.

I like the nice selection of beers, and on occassion they'll have my Leffe Blonde (not often enough), but when they don't I will usually order a Blue Moon.

Favorite Dish: The Steamed Prince Edward Island Mussels, the Maine Lump Crab Cakes and the hot soft pretzels are all very good.

Pair that with a nice beer and you have a yummy meal.

Coromandel Cuisine of India: Tasty Indian Food

by cjg1 Updated Nov 5, 2010
    Tasty Vegetable Platter

Coromandel is a chain of Indian restaurants with locations all over Connecticut as well as in New Rochelle, New York. This particular location is located right on Washington Street in the heart of the SoNo section of Norwalk.

My wife and I have frequented the location in Orange Connecticut and thought we'd give this one a try since we are frequently in this area. The restaurant is very nice with cozy tables and booths along with a large bar. The decor was colorful and warm with Indian themed painting and pictures adorning the walls.

The menu has a variety of Indian dishes to suit every level of spice from mild to very spicy. They also have a nice selction of domestic and imported beers, along with soft drinks, milkshakes and fruit juice drinks.

My wife and I came to dine here on a Thursday. We arrived a little after 5pm (they open at 5pm) and we were the first and only customers. They seated us a a cozy table for two with a window view. We decided to each have a Kingfisher as our drink choice. After perusing the menu we decided to split a vegetable platter. The vegetable platter has eggplant, cauliflower, spinach and onion fritters along with vegetable samosas. For our entrees Liz went with her favorite: Aloo Gobi and I decided to try the Aadu Ulathiyathu.

The vegetable platter was incredibly good and we ate every last morsel. It paired well with the crisp Kingfisher. By the time our entrees arrived we were reaching full capacity in the stomach area. Our entrees came with a large portion of Basmati rice and a side of Garlic Naan. My dish was quite nice but not as spicy as I wanted it to be. Liz's was a totally different style of Aloo Gobi than she is accustomed to and it was spicy instead of mild. She didn't mind the spice but it wasn't a big hit with her.

The service here is very good and attentive without "hovering". The food is obviously very fresh and cooked well. As much as we liked the atmosphere and lcoationof the place we prefer the food at the Orange location.

Favorite Dish: The Vegetable Platter was our favorite part of the meal. Tasty fritters of eggplant, cauliflower, spinach and onion were very tasty and good. The samosas were also very good.

My Aadu Ulathiyathu is Lamb with coconut, red onions, curry leaves & freshly ground spices. It was a good dish but not the spice level I had expected. The Garlic Naan was very good and we both left the restaurant stinking of garlic.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Swanky Frank's: Hot Dogs of course :)

by Gypsystravels Updated Nov 4, 2010
    Swanky Frank's sign

We first heard of Swanky Frank's in a book titled "Drive I-95 Exit by Exit" which has some really great off the beaten places to stay, eat and visit.

Swanky Frank's is a small road side "diner-style" place to grab a quick bite which happens to specialize in yummy hot dogs. As soon as you enter the location there is a large bar-like counter where you can see a menu board, to the left of the entrance is a small dining area with another menu board, some picnic like tables and pictures of people who have eaten at this place.

The hot dogs a quite yummy as they are not boiled but "deep fried" which give it that nice seared taste, just how I like mine. Ferni isn't much of a hot dog fan and orderd a steak sandwich and we each washed our grub with a soda. I'd definitely stop here again as its an excellent place to grab a quick and cheap roadside meal!

Favorite Dish: I ordered a regular dog with onions which I totally enjoyed. Ferni had the steak sandwich on a roll with a side of fries. He said he very much liked his sandwich.

Barcelona Restuarant and Wine Bar: Delicious Tapas

by cjg1 Updated Oct 25, 2010

Roasted Head of Garlic with sea salt

Barcelona is actually a chain of restuarant sin Connecticut with locations in Sono, Greenwich, Stamford, Fairfield, Hartford and New Haven. Liz and I usualy frequent the Greenwich location (it's closer to home) but enjoy the outside seating at the Sono location in the summer months as well as the more laid back vibe.

Our last visit to Barcelona was a pre-Birthday celebration before we were off to celebrate on our trip. We had made reservations since it was a weekend and the place does get jammed. We were seated at a nice table for two and handed menus. Warm; fresh bread was brought to the table along with some incredible olive oil for dipping ( I love the bread here). After ordering drinks; a beer for me and a white wine sangria for Liz we debated what to order. We decided to order a variety of tapas to share: Roasted Garlic Bulbs, Patatas Bravas, Albondigas, Gambas al Ajillo, Crispy Calamari, Grilled Hangar Steak, Lamb Croquetas and Shrimp with Pesto and sea Salt. This was a case of the eyes being bigger than the stomach. We tasted a bit of everything before surrendering and asking for doggie bags. We saved room for dessert and shared a portion of the Churros Y Chocolate. As always here the service was excellent and the food was incredible. We loved every bite and enjoyed every momemnt of our meal.

Favorite Dish: The Paella here is insanely good and some of the best Paella I have had. The rice was perfectly cooked with just the right amount of Saffron. The chicken, chorizo, shrimp, mussels and clams were very good and fresh. The Albondigas are some of the best I have had anywhere; hands down. The sauce is incredibly good and the meat is so tender. The Papas Bravas were nicely seasoned and crisp. The Roasted Garlic bulbs were delicious spread on their warm pieces of bread. The Lamb Croquetas were my favorite of all the tapas items; perfectly cooked and seasoned.

The churros I could have left; not the best I have had and my wife agreed. Next time we skip dessert.

• Wine Tasting

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Chocopologie: More than Just Chocolate.......

by cjg1 Updated Jun 21, 2010

Mussels with a White Wine Herb Sauce

Chocopologie is one of the reasons I agree to come to Norwalk...the food is that good. Chocopologie is a small restaurant/chocolate store created by the famous master chocolatier Fritz Knipschildt. The location is tiny but the dining room is warm and cozy with tiny tables and booths. The decor is dimly lit with candles throughout for a romantic and calm feeling. The display cases and shelves have a multitude of loose and boxed chocolates as well and pastries, cakes, cookies and tarts.

The menu has a nice selection of salads, soups, entrees, brunch items, teas, coffees, dessert drinks and of course dessert. The service here is on the slow side but we never seem to mind. Liz and I love coming here and sitting at our favorite window seat while enjoying some incredibly good food.

Favorite Dish: The food here is incredible and I really enjoy their sandwiches especially the grilled chicken sandwich with a cup of mushroom soup. The BLT is also an excellent choice. Their French toast makes for an incredible brunch with a side strawberry salad. Liz loves their mussels which are a nice sized portion in a cream sauce with herbs and shallots. The belgian waffle with apples is her favorite brunch item and is a rather large portion.

You can't come here and not get dessert so make sure to check out the dessert case as well as the menu before making a selection. The molten chocolate cake is a favorite of mine with it's oozing center of chocolate and berry topping. Liz like their sugar crepes and the chocolate beignets. The frozen hot chocolate is incredible good but very rich. The frozen hot chocolate comes in a large milkshake glass with a large topping of fresh whipped cream. The drink is too much for one person so Liz and I split it between us.

It's hard to resist the chocolate here so it's not unusual that we leave with some "Hannah" chocolates....delicious caramels covered in chocolate and topped with Hawaiian Sea Salt. The white chocolate cheese cake here is also very good but not always available in the display case due to its popularity.

Black Bear Saloon: Nice Pub in a Dead Town

by cjg1 Updated Jun 21, 2010

Spinach Dip

The Black Bear is a bar/resturant with various locations in CT and in White Plains. The Black Bear is our old standby when we are in SoNo and want a snack. The bar/restaurant is a nice size with plenty of dining room seating as well as room at the bar. They serve the typical pub grub fare which is actually pretty good and ranges from nachos, burgers and more substantial entrees. They also have a good beer and cocktail list.

The atmosphere here is pretty laid back and usually quiet unless you happpen to wander in on a Friday or Saturday night. We like to sit at the bar when we are here and there is always a sporting event on the TV (Baseball, football, tennis, golf, hockey, etc). Our favorite snack here at the Black Bear is their Spinach & Artichoke dip. It's a nice portion of bubbly hot dip served in a crock and surrounded by pita chips, garlic bread and tortilla chips for dipping. It is very good and we love it here.

The service here has always been good and unobtrusive; I like good service without the element of hovering.

Favorite Dish: Spinach & Artichoke Dip is very good here. It's warm spinach and artichoke hearts baked with cheddar jack cheese served with warm tortilla chips and pita bread. Everytime we find ourselves here it's usually for a snack so we have our dip and some drinks.

Black Bear Saloon: Black Bear Saloon

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 10, 2010

Bear Bites

Located in SONO on Washington Street is this pub/restaurant. It's a staple on every single one of our visits. No matter what time of day you arrive in Norwalk, you'll find this place open with a few patrons enjoying a few drinks and something to eat.

The booths (see pic) each have their own tv screen which is a nice touch. Throughout the bar there are tv's and aparently a good place to catch a football game. We usually seat at the bar. The bartenders are usually quite nice and quick to get your order.

We've eaten here a couple of times and their food is good. They do have a pretty extensive menu with your usual pub grub like burgers, sandwichs, soups, quesadillas, and a host of other items you would find in a pub. Ferni and I usually will find ourselves here for a few drinks and depending on time of day, we may even order some appetizers.

I've had their chicken sliders with cheese (the cheese was quite bad, not melted) with tator totes, as well as their nachos, a cheese burger and their bear bites which are a big hit with Ferni.

Favorite Dish: We usually come here for a few drinks and have eaten here as well. Ferni finds their bear bites, small bite size pieces of chicken which are accompanied with a choice of Buffalo (Mild, Medium or Hot), BBQ or Teriyaki sauce and served with bleu cheese and celery sticks. I've had their nachos which are just okay, their chicken sliders and the cheeseburger on various occassions.

Burger Bar and Bistro: Chimi Burgers

by cjg1 Updated Dec 23, 2009

My Chimi Burger with Fries

Burger Bar and Bistro is one of our favorite places to grab a burger in SONO. Liz and I are often in the area so when the craving for a good burger hits; we come here. The place has two seating areas; one with the bar area and tables and the other a small dining room. In the warmer months they have outdoor seating which I rather enjoy. The menu has a nice selection of burgers, salads,sandwiches, pizza, hot dogs, fries, appetizers and milkshakes. The specials board in the dining room advertizes the daily specials available.

The burgers here are very good. The "Innovative Burgers" on the menu are delicious and have names such as: The Ultimate, Boomer, Baja, Chimi Burger, Soprano, Tijuana, Rob, Anna, Surfer Dude and BEC Burger. Any of the burers on the menu can be "upgraded" to Kobe for an additional cost of $7. Fries are extra but occasionally they have nights where they throw the fries in for free.

We usually sit in the dining room unless the weather is warm outside. The tables are covered in simple brown paper with cups of crayons on the table (for the kids; but we usually take a crayon in hand to decorate our spot). A bucket with utensils, napkins, ketchup and mustard are in the center of the table. The service here can be slow depending on how crowded the place is but the food makes up for the slow service; so we avoid weekends. Weekdays the place has a lighter crowd and less families with "screaming kids".

Favorite Dish: My favorite burger here is the Chimi Burger. The burger comes with the Argentinian cilantro sauce, garlic, avocado and mixed greens on a bun. The buns here are very good and the meat is very juicy. The fries here are okay; nothing to rave home about. I love their adult milkshakes with a bit of liquor. I get the strawberry banana shake that has banan liquor and strawberry ice cream. It come in a large glass with a metal cup full of milkshake refill. The shake is delicious and thick but I can never finish it all.

Liz always orders a cheeseburger with fried onions. She loves the simple burgers and this one always makes her happy. The bun is a big hit with Liz since she likes a soft bun and not one that's overly toasted. We usually fogo the fires here since neither of us are thrilled with their fries; they are on the mushy side most nights. A vanilla milkshake or a diet coke is her drink of choice when she has a burger here and I must admit thevanilla shake is quite good.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Burger Bar & Bistro: Yummy burger selections and so much more!

by Gypsystravels Updated Dec 14, 2009

My Cowboy Burger and fries with gravy!

This is a really nice restaurant/bar located in SONO which has a nice twist on burgers with intersting names.

They have a large selection of other items like pizza, sandwiches, hot dogs, fries, salads and sides. The restaurant has two sections, the much nicer and cozier bar area, or the dinning area.

This is a very kid's friendly restaurant and as soon as Ferni and I walked in we headed straight to the bar area. You can grab a bar-table, like what we did, or eat at the bar. The decor is quite nice at the bar which feels more "grown-up" with dark lighting, dark tables and some nice decoration. The main dinning area is an open space with plenty of tables. The restaurant has open seating, so you grab a seat wherever there is one.

We've been here a few times and we usually come on a Saturday night and depending on time, can be quite crowded with families and couples enjoying some good inexpensive food. You have never had to wait for a table but a few minutes after we are seated, we always notice people waiting to be seated. I would say the best time to come here is before 8:30 pm.

We definitely like the atmosphere and anytime after 8:30 pm you will see less children. The burgers have always been quite good, very juicy and cooked to our liking. I still think the buns can use a bit of "grille-time". I totally love their fries, shoe-string, not over cooked. I always order my fries with gravy, yum!

I've had a few different variations of the burger, the Cowboy, and variations of the classic!

The restaurant also has a full service bar with good selections of well drinks, beers and wines.

Favorite Dish: I've had the Cowboy, a burger with pepper jack cheese, BBQ sauce, bacon and fried onions, I've also had the classic with cheddar bacon with grilled onions and the classic cheddar. I love their fries with gravy.

The burgers are moist, juicy and quite flavorful, but the bun wasn't a hit with me. Fernie actually decided to have a plan cheeseburger (he doesn't care for all that other stuff). He enjoyed a Heinekin will I decided to have coke with lemon.

The prices a quite reasonable for the burgers, ranging from $7 for the classic (additional charge for add ons) and $11 - $15 for the innovative burgers. The sides start at $3.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Chocopologie: Decadent and tasty!

by Gypsystravels Updated Nov 20, 2009

Display case

This is a small "French-like" bistro with a pretty large selection of your typical French inspired dishes. They have a nice selection of sandwiches, appetizers, cheese plates, quiches, soups, burgers, crepes, yum, and their "all day breakfast items" as well as salads and of course their heavenly chocolate cakes and truffles (which incidently, they have a very expensive truffle, at $250)! They also have chocolate fondue as well as a large selection of chocolate drinks.

The resturant is cute, with a "communal" table as you enter with a few little booths on the right with a few tables to the left. The display case with the decadent chocolate selections is at the end of the communal table where you will also find the counter. There is a few tables to the right hand side past the cashier where you can grab a little table as well.

During this visit Ferni and I weren't here to eat. Ferni has a chocolate sweet tooth and wanted to grab one of chocolate creations to enjoy back home. We perused the display case trying to figure out exactly what we wanted.

Favorite Dish: We decided on the opera cake and a chocolate mouse cake, YUM!!

The Ginger Man: Tasty Fish & Chips

by cjg1 Updated Nov 18, 2009

The Ginger Man is our prefered bar in SONO. It's also a reatsurant that has a nice dining area but we prefer to sit at the bar for a meal. The atmosphere here is very laid back; which I enjoy. We are often in Sono for a movie or to meet up with friends; so this is a nice place to unwind with a few drinks and grab some grub.

The menu has a variety of appetizers, burgers, entrees, soups and salads. The Ginger Man has over 52 draught beers and several varities of bottled beers, hard liquor, wine and mixed drinks; so there is something for everyone. I usually get a Stella Artois or a Johnnie Walker Blue.

Favorite Dish: Liz and I like the warm pretzels with mustard. They are soft pretzels served warm with dijon and honey mustard dipping sauces. It's a nice snack especially in the cooler weather months. When we are heare for a meal Liz usualy orders her favorite: Steamed Prince Edward Mussels with garlic bread; she finished the whole portion. I am a fan of their fish and chips which is quite nice; espcially with their fries and cole slaw. Their sliders are also good especially for a snack.

It's not often that we have had dessert here but we have had the Fudge Brownie Sundae twice. It's very good with vanilla ice cream on top and chocolate sauce (it's usually served with walnuts but we ask for them to be left off since Liz cannot eat nuts).

• TropicanaHana's Profile Photo

Chocopologie: Exotic, innovative chocolates and delicious food

by TropicanaHana Written Jun 16, 2008

The inside is small, cozy, and beautiful. They have an antique look but not overdone at all. The first thing you notice is the display of beautiful desserts, and chocolates which are for the daring, at 1.50 there are kinds like lavander, red chilli and corn flakes in white chocolate, hawaiian sea salt and caramel, rose water ganache (my favorite), mint (really minty! With a leafe inside!) and many others.

They have fabulous hot chocolate for those who like their hot chocolate to be real and not some powdered sugar mix. (And it's dark, smooth, unsweetened) also amazing lemonaide (tart and lemony!!!).

This place is the ultimate try for drinks and to satisfy your sweet-tooth, but they also have a breakfast menu I'm highly fond of.

Favorite Dish: Poached egg on corn cake is good because the corn cakes and the corn relish go so well with the egg, it's a flavor combination that was just meant to be.

• KARLPORTER56's Profile Photo

Balducci's: Nice Gourmet Grocery store in Greenwich

by KARLPORTER56 Written Feb 21, 2006

Great Gourmet style grocery/deli store.. Fresh fruits,vegetables& a wide assortment of gourmet food. .. Trendy but very comfortable and friendly.. This guy in the deli was extremely nice and helpful. Balducci's has great food and great people like this guy who really care about their customers.. I think we had some sandwiches from this deli which really hit the spot.

Instant Answers: Norwalk

Comments

Norwalk Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Norwalk restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Norwalk sightseeing.