Putnam Travel Guide

LIVELY AND INTERESTING INTERSECTION
  • Things to Do

Putnam Things to Do

by Pawtuxet Updated Oct 26, 2008

I think the train station is now available as well. Part of it seems to be an upscale deli in a small building on the far side of it. Now what could we do with the train station? The tracks are still there, but I don't think the trains stop in Putnam anymore. Hmmm gotta think about that some more.
    It's a handsome building. Must have been a very busy place when the manufacturing was in full swing.

by Pawtuxet Written Oct 26, 2008

The handsome granite building which housed the Cargill Trust Company is now for sale. It's certainly large enough to make an interesting restaurant...or develop it as an antique shop with a coffee bar. (One clever restauranteur in Providence came up with the name of "Banker's Quarters" for his 1/4 pounder restaurant in the city...housed in a grand old bank bldg.) I'm sure you could come up with lots of ideas. Not sure about a liquor license, tho. It's right next door to a handsome old church and with the "blue laws" of the northeast, they may not issue liquor licenses within 50 or 100 feet of a church or school. Truly.. that is the way our laws read.

Cargill Trust Company

by Pawtuxet Written Oct 26, 2008

The waterfalls reminded me a little bit of our Pawtuxet Falls, but the Cargill Falls are much larger than ours. It's quite a roar of water tumbling over these falls. I'm not surprised they chose this location for their mills. Evidentally the largest was the Cargill Falls Mill. It's a delightful walk on either side or from up on the hill near the main interesection of town.

• Eco-Tourism

Good for: Couples

Putnam Restaurants

• JNoller's Profile Photo

by JNoller Updated Nov 30, 2004

Sunflowers is a unique restaurant/health food store located in Danielson, CT, which is 5 miles south of Putnam. They offer freshly made meals each day with board specials. We enjoy their daily soups (usually vegan), my daughter enjoys their Tuna melts, great salads, and I enjoy their mock chicken salad, and tofu salad. They also make a nice tempeh fake bacon sandwich with excellent trimmings. Their smoothies are varied and excellent. I really miss Maya- she works the cash register and kitchen. She is the lovliest woman I have ever met, and I wish I could have dated her- but I am sure a beautiful woman like her already has a man in her life.
    If I had one wish it would be that she was my soulmate and girlfriend. Sometimes we do not always get what we want in life though. I have not been to Sunflowers since July 2004.
    I was severely injured in a fall off my roof and almost died. Someday I want to see Maya again and talk to her.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish: A crisp salad with one of their house dressings and I love their varied veggie burgers!

Vanilla Bean is a good second choice but is very expensive. The food there is fair, and very pricey but a nice atmosphere.

• gcmm's Profile Photo

by gcmm Written May 11, 2004

part of the kings inn hotel is chances resturant, it is a good place to eat, they have a variety of dishes to choose from...

Favorite Dish: Fish and chips

chances

• Putnam Hotels

2 Hotels in Putnam

Putnam Off The Beaten Path

by Pawtuxet Written Jul 30, 2009

Rudy is an older Polish man who has had a farm out in Connecticut for a lot of years. He had an opportunity to buy the land across the street from his farm ... filled with old chicken coops.. so he bought it.
    He stripped the buildings, re-wired everything adding lots of lights.. and installed an old wood stove in his "command center". Well, you could hardly call it an office! :-)
    Today Rudy's is known across about 4 states as the place to go when you need old pieces and parts for building restoration. Now there are containers shipped from China bringing him old mill stones, and truck loads of building parts arrive regularly. He has the reputation of being a buyer as well as a seller... and he moves a heck of a lot of materials in and out of the old farm yard.

Our latest trip was to buy another 100 cobblestones for finishing our driveway and walkways. Time before that we sold him some old doors from the 1800's cause we were putting back the 1700's doors in our front hallway. Always a good deal at Rudy's.

By chance or appointment.... 18th and 19th Century Architectural Materials

Chicken coops with new life

Putnam Sports & Outdoors

• gcmm's Profile Photo

by gcmm Written May 11, 2004

We have a lot of golf courses in our area...this is our home course of putnam..
    Putnam country club is only about 5 years or so old and they have done alot of work on it..
    It has a very nice lay out through the woods....
    It is a challenging course and you have to play your shots well...
    the views are great, if your in the area give it a try..

Equipment: Golf clubs and shoes, only soft spikes

The first hole

Instant Answers: Putnam

Comments

Putnam Travel Guide
Map of Putnam