Places to eat in Connecticut

chocolate covered cake pops
    by moiraistyx
  • Truffles and other chocolate yummy things
    Truffles and other chocolate yummy...
    by moiraistyx
  • Restaurants
    by LadyRVG

Most Viewed Restaurants in Connecticut

Super Duper Weenie: The Home of the New Englander Dog

by cjg1 Written Dec 13, 2011

We had seen the sign for Super uper Weenie along the I-95 interstate for years but never stopped in until we saw it featured on the Food Network show:Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Now Super Duper Weenie is the place we frequent regularly for one of their delicious hotdogs. The place is right off of the highway so it's an easy on/off if your just pasing by on the highway. The place itself is on the small side with some counter top stools and some back area seating. The menu is posted on the left side wall by the soda coolers and has a variety of hot dogs, burgers, grilled cheese, sandwiches and french fies.

My favorite hot dog is called the New Englander. It's hot dog covered in Sauerkraut, Bacon, Mustard, Sweet Relish & Raw Onion seved on a hot dog bun. It is incredibly good...that says alot since I'm not a big hot dog fan. Liz likes her hotdog with just mustard and sauerkraut. The fries here are very good and crisy. A large order though is enough for two people to share. SDW also carries a nice selection of Boylans sodas which are some of our favorites especially the Root Beer, Black Cherry and Birch beer. It's a nice local place with good food and a nice casual atmosphere. ...that's why we love going to Super Duper Weenie.

Favorite Dish: The New Englander Hot Dog is my favorite with a side of fires and a diet Boylan's Root Beer. It totally hits the spot!

Panda Pavilion: Good Chinese in Greenwich

by cjg1 Written Dec 12, 2011

Panda Pavillion is right over the border from Portchester on Route 1(Putnam Avenue) so it's very easy to get here. The place is small with tables scattered throughout the dining room. In the summer there is an outdoor patio for dining. When you are seated there is a nice basket of crunchy noodles with duck sauce and spicy mustard for dipping. The potions are good and come with the expected rice, tea and fortune cookies. Then menu has the usual Chinese dishes and a large assortment of sushi plates. I tend to be a creature of habit and order the Orange Chicken every time we are here. Liz goes back and forth between the Beef Lo Mein and the Shrimp and Cashews. Their spare ribs, egg rolls and fried puffy shrimp are good appetizers to start the meal. The service here is always friendly and attentive.

Favorite Dish: The Orange Chicken here is very good. It's a large portion and comes with white rice. The Puffy fried shrimp are very good and come with a sweet and sour red sauce for dipping. I also enjoy their egg rolls; nice and crisp with a good filling. The ribs are very tasty and nicely cooked. Liz enjoys their beef Lo Mein and the Shrimp with Cashews.

I recently tried their Singapore Noodles (I love Singapore Noodles) they were just okay; not the best I have had but I had to try them when I saw them on the menu.

Coromandel (Orange Location): Delicious Indian Food

by cjg1 Written Dec 12, 2011

My wife and I are huge fans of Indian food and often find ourselves in Milford shopping, visiting friends or just passing through. Coromandel is a wonderful Indian restuarnt that we very much enjoy for their delicious food and attentive service.

Locate in a strip mall on Route 1; it can be easy to miss this place. It's tucked away in a corner of the strip mall so it's pretty much hidden if it is dark out. The inside of the restaurant is very spacious with plenty of seating. The interior is decorated in vibrant colors, wall murals and interesting lighting fixtures. Liz and I have our favorite booth; which we are often seated.

The menu has a nice variety of meat, lamb, chicken, fish and vegetarian dishes. They also have a nice assortment of cocktails and beer. Daily specials are in the menu and they are very accomodating if you want an appetizer turned into an entree sized portion.

Portion size here is quite large; so expect to have a doggie bag (we always do). The food here is incredibly fresh, delicious and flavorful. The service here is spot on and very friendly; it makes me miss my favorite Indian joint in Herndon Virginia.

They also have daily lunch specials as well as weekend buffets on Saturday and Sunday. The buffet is quite good with a nice mix of veg and non veg items.

This place is also an AA I-dine(except Saturday); which is a bonus.

Favorite Dish: Liz and I love their Vegetable Samosa as an appetizer. The triangle pastry with spiced potatoes and green peas is perfectly cooked and flavorful. I like that the peas and potatoes are more mashed together than some other Samosas I have had before. I also like the lamb Samosa which has recently become a favorite. To drink I love the Kingfisher or Taj Mahal lagers; quite nice with the meal. My wife likes a lime soda that they make for her with fresh limes, juice and club soda; it is very refreshing and I thought it was very good.

The Lamb Sagwala is my favorite dish. the meat is perfectly cooked and seasoned. I love dipping my Garlic Naan in the spinach gravy. By the way their nann is incredibly good; we love to split an order of the garlic.

My wife leans more towards the vegetarian items and loves their Aloo Gobhi Palak. She has raved about the flavor and after tasting I can agree it is a very nice taste.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Rosy Tomorrow's: And the Appeal Is?

by cjg1 Written Dec 12, 2011

This is a place Liz used to frequent with her friend. So after hearing so much about it and our current plans of the day busted, we headed up here.

Its an interesting place with 3 levels. The bar is on the middle level and half a floor down is the lower seating area and half a floor up is the upper one. So those on the lower level where we were get a view of everyone's feet at the bar. NICE! (Kidding)

The service here was horrible. It seemed like as soon as I decided I wasn't going to drink we ceased to exist. Our drinks were refilled when our food arrived and we NEVER saw our waiter again. We had to flag down another girl there to give us our check and then she disappeared and we had to give the money to the hostess on our way out the door.

I hope she put it in her pocket.

Favorite Dish: The food was no better. Liz's burger even though asked medium was a hockey puck. Super well done and although the best part of the meal came on her plate in the fries, we were disappointed.

My meal was to be the Nachos. I'd been wanting some for a while now and was happy to hear great things about them on the ride up here. At least I'm glad she'd had good nachos here previously because the ones I got should have been dumped in the garbage. I ate about half of them anyway because I was so hungry but that was it. They were badly burned and as Liz says in her tip, cremated.

All drinks but sodas are limited to only one refill. Seems like a NAD (nickel and dime) policy to me but what ever. Some place as bad as this should not be thinking they can mess around with customers in such a way.

Will I come back? No way, No chance, No how

• ZiOOlek's Profile Photo

Redfin in Stratford: Redfin in Stratford

by ZiOOlek Updated Apr 4, 2011

I have no special memories from a visit in this restaurant. Probably the best is the location and the view from this place. The food was ok but I would say that it is rather place for some drinks not a place to eat. And my friends said that there were more dishes in menu in previous years and the atmosphere was much nicer.

• floche2001's Profile Photo

Apricots Restaurant: Dont'miss the Apricot !

by floche2001 Written Jul 31, 2008

What a nice suprise that this Apricots ! In Europe the speaking about gastronomy and American equals to speak about your last vacation in the Sahara Desert with a white bear !

The with wooden exterior of the building gives already an image of good taste. The ambience of the restaurant is cosy and invites to discuss around a good glass of californian wine proposed on the menu.

The prepartion of the dishes is of high level. I loved it !

• domenicococozza's Profile Photo

louis's lunch: home of the hamburger

by domenicococozza Updated Oct 24, 2007

Perhaps the word 'restaurant' isn't quite right. Louis's Lunch in Newhaven is reputed to be the home of the American hamburger. A cross between a roadside shack and a diner.
    One thing is for sure, you won't get a better hamburger anywhere

Favorite Dish: 4 oz cheeseburger with pickles, tomato and lettuce

• Kristin's Profile Photo

The Berkshire Cafe: Salad dressing and pizza

by Kristin Written Jan 26, 2007

The Berkshire Cafe has been a staple throughout my life. At many family gatherings, we would have the pizza taken out; just as frequently, we went down to the restaurant where everyone knew all my family and the food was always delicious. The Berkshire is essentially a bar, and it still smells like cigarette smoke even though there has been a smoking ban in Connecticut since April 2004. The beer is always cheap and the bar is always crowded. They only serve grinders (deli sandwiches) and salads during lunchtime, and they switch to pizzas and salads at night. During the day, a cheeseburger grinder is in order.

Order the salad at any time. Its composition has been the same for as long as I can remember: iceberg lettuce, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, ham, pepperoni and olives. The Berkshire serves a creamy house dressing that is my all-time favorite salad dressing. I couldn't begin to tell you what it tastes like, though. It is well worth it.

Favorite Dish: Okay, so, I know this sounds kind of gross, but: save some of your salad dressing and dip your pizza crust in it. Ask for extra if you'd like.

I never said this was a healthy tip!

Paisans: Gross Italian

by moiraistyx Written Nov 30, 2006

We ended up in Connecticut in search of a decent place to have lunch. Well we did not find it here. Patrick ordered Nachos, which I know aren't Italian, but it was the only thing he would eat, but he didn't. They brought them out and all they were was tortilla chips with mozzerella cheese. I wasn't very hungry so I order a hot turkey sandwhich. The gravy was so salty I couldn't eat it. Cheri go a BLT on toast and the toast was so hard she couldn't bite it. The french fries were very tastey. I don't recommend this "restaurant" to anyone. The only nice thing about this place were the salt-n-pepper shakers. Each table had a different set and all over the room were set of different shakers.

Favorite Dish: nothing, it was all gross

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

Texas Roadhouse: Good Ol' Texas BBQ

by Bilimari Updated Aug 13, 2006

Texas Roadhouse is a chain restaurant, perfect for a casual dining with your friends and family. Good place for a b-day party, etc. (Translation: The place can get quite loud with party group.) The entire place is decorated in Texas/Southern theme. Most tables are booth style.

When you are seated, they give you a bucket of roasted peanuts still in shell, and an empty bucket for you to put shells in. My daughter is a fan of their fresh baked hot rolls with honey butter.

If you'd like to order steaks, go up to the meat counter and choose your steak meat from the display. They'll cook it to your order.

The place is always busy, especially during the weekend dinner time. They don't take a reservation, but you can call in to put your name on the waiting list before you head out there.

Hours:
    Mon-Thur. 4-10:30
    Fri. 4-11
    Sat. 11:30-11
    Sun. 11:30-9:30

Favorite Dish: Killer Ribs with Chili and Baked Sweet Potato on the side. mmmmmm

Benningans: STOP THREE ON THE DINES CRAWL THROUGH MILFORD

by moiraistyx Written Jun 25, 2006

Okay, this is a chain restaurant, serves the usual burgers and chicken like many of the chain restaurants in the United States. This was our final stop on the AA dines crawl through Milford. The food was average. It was very quiet her since we got there near ten. My travel buddie got an interesting sanwhich, a burger in a pita. The pic is below.

Favorite Dish: I got the blue cheese burger which is a favorite of mine. I love the flavor combination of blue cheese and beef. My buddy got a burger pita dish that he devoured.

Cancun Charlie's: STOP ONE ON THE DINES CRAWL THROUGH MILFORD

by moiraistyx Written Jun 25, 2006

This cute little mexican restaurant/bar was our first stop on our AA Dines crawl. When we arrived there was a Mariachi band playing. For me the music was too loud for the small bar area. The musicians were very talented though. I had my signature drink, a margarita on the rocks with salt. Yes this is my favorite drink. There was a play gambling machine on the bar with a variety of activities to choose from. I can't say much about this bar staff. They weren't very friendly and they were very slow. This restuarant offer inside and patio dining.

Favorite Dish: Margarita on the rocks with salt.

SBC Restaurant and Brewery: STOP TWO ON THE DINES CRAWL THROUGH MILFORD

by moiraistyx Written Jun 25, 2006

We didn't eat here, this was the second stop on our AA Dines tour of Milford. I got my usual, a margarita on the rocks with salt. The atmosphere was about average. The usual yuppies and college crowd. I have to admit they had some of the better looking bartenders around, all men. I would like to make one note, the bathroom here was nasty. It was very dirty and it smelled. Might have just been an off day, but still it was gross. This restuarant sits directly across from the Stonbridge Restaurant.

Favorite Dish: A magarita on the rocks with salt.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Educated Burgher: Not your typical burger joint

by karenincalifornia Written May 26, 2006

I have not misspelled the name of this place. It is the "Educated Burgher" - a play on words. It is located just outside Yale University in New Haven and is a favorite of the Yalies. It's not your typical burger joint. For one thing, the walls are lined with books. Second, it has a great vegetarian menu.

Favorite Dish: When my friends suggested this as a place to eat lunch, I dutifully agreed, since I don't like to be a pain in the butt, just because I'm a vegetarian. However, I was surprised to see there was a wide variety of vegetarian items. I had a veggie burger - don't knock it until you've tried it here. It was really delicious!

• Study Abroad

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

Lenny & Joe's Fish Tale: Fish & Chips, and "Chowduh"!

by Bilimari Written Mar 9, 2006

This is a very casual family restaurant, always packed with people no matter what time of the day it is.
    We go to the one in Westbrook. Inside the restaurant is decorated with ocean/boat theme. There is a patio area for sunny day.

They also sell T-shirts with restaurant logo, and salt water taffy.

Favorite Dish: Clam chowder!!!
    Maryland Style Crab Cakes
    Lobster meat sub
    and of course, fish & chips : )

Connecticut Hotels

• Colony New Haven

1157 Chapel Street, (Hotel Currently Under Renovation), New Haven, Connecticut, 06511, United States

Good for: Families

• Hyatt Place Hotel Mystic

224 Greenmanville Ave., (formerly AmeriSuites Mystic), Mystic, Connecticut, 06355, United States

Good for: Solo

85 Reviews - 223 Photos
Old Saybrook Hotels
6 Reviews - 6 Photos

Instant Answers: Connecticut

Comments

Connecticut Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Connecticut restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Connecticut sightseeing.
Map of Connecticut