Places to eat in Connecticut

chocolate covered cake pops
    by moiraistyx
  • Truffles and other chocolate yummy things
    Truffles and other chocolate yummy...
    by moiraistyx
  • Restaurants
    by LadyRVG

Most Viewed Restaurants in Connecticut

Toshi japanese Restaurant: True Japanese

by Bilimari Written Jan 20, 2006

I believe that this is the only Japanese restaurant in Hartford county that's actually owned by Japanese person. I like to go there because the dishes are not Americanized.

The reservation is recommended for dinner.

Favorite Dish: Sushi and tempura. Have Sake or Kirin/Sapporo with your meal.

Lunch boxes are good and inexpensive. ($6.50-$8.50)

You can order sushi to go, or pre-order party size sushi tray to go, too.

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

Lenny & Joe's Fish Tale: Fish & Chips, and "Chowduh"!

by Bilimari Written Mar 9, 2006

This is a very casual family restaurant, always packed with people no matter what time of the day it is.
    We go to the one in Westbrook. Inside the restaurant is decorated with ocean/boat theme. There is a patio area for sunny day.

They also sell T-shirts with restaurant logo, and salt water taffy.

Favorite Dish: Clam chowder!!!
    Maryland Style Crab Cakes
    Lobster meat sub
    and of course, fish & chips : )

Fish Tale

Mayor Mike's Restaurant: Meet the Mayor

by Bilimari Written Mar 8, 2006

Casual, yet very nice place with a great meal.
    Good wine collection, and serves several locally brewed beer as well as imports.

Mike was once a mayor of the city, and while you are eating, he would stop by at your table to see if everything is ok.

Reservation is recommended for weekends.

Favorite Dish: I had Eggplant Parmesan, which was really good, but couldn't finish after appetizer and beer. They made the left over to go for me, but I forgot to bring it home. :(

Mayor Mike's

Max's Oyster Bar: One of many Max's

by Bilimari Written Mar 8, 2006

There are several Max's in Hartford area, and I like every one of them. :)

This one is in the West Hartford, and serves great seafood.

Lunch:
    Dinner:
    Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
    Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
    Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm

* Definitely make a reservation for dinner.

Favorite Dish: Shrimp menu and sermon menu are good as well as oyster appetizer menu.

Max's Oyster Bar

GRANTS: My favorite place in West Hartford

by Bilimari Written Mar 8, 2006

This is a perfect place for special occasion and nice meal with friends. It's casual, but the place is nicely decorated, so dress up if you want.
    The meal portion is big, so you could share it with friend or take a half to go. You want to make sure that you have a room for a dessert, too, right? : )

Hours:
    ? Mon-Thu 11:30am-3pm, 5pm-10pm
    ? Fri-Sat 11:30am-3pm, 5pm-11pm;
    ? Sun 5pm-9pm

Favorite Dish: I like everything they serve there! Gnocchi, risotto, filet mignon, and ten-layer chocolate cake.

ARUGULA: Mediterranean Bistro

by Bilimari Updated Mar 9, 2006

They serve unique dishes which are mix of French, Italian, and Mediterranean. Place is very small with only about 10 tables. Reservation is a must for dinner even on the weekday.

Lunch: Tue-Fri 11:30-2:30, Sat 12:00-3:00
    Dinner: Tue-Sat 5:30-close
    Brunch: Sun 11-3:30

Favorite Dish: I had Seafood pasta, which was very good.
    My friend's seafood salad looked delicious, too.

Paisans: Gross Italian

by moiraistyx Written Nov 30, 2006

We ended up in Connecticut in search of a decent place to have lunch. Well we did not find it here. Patrick ordered Nachos, which I know aren't Italian, but it was the only thing he would eat, but he didn't. They brought them out and all they were was tortilla chips with mozzerella cheese. I wasn't very hungry so I order a hot turkey sandwhich. The gravy was so salty I couldn't eat it. Cheri go a BLT on toast and the toast was so hard she couldn't bite it. The french fries were very tastey. I don't recommend this "restaurant" to anyone. The only nice thing about this place were the salt-n-pepper shakers. Each table had a different set and all over the room were set of different shakers.

Favorite Dish: nothing, it was all gross

One of the tables

Cancun Charlie's: STOP ONE ON THE DINES CRAWL THROUGH MILFORD

by moiraistyx Written Jun 25, 2006

This cute little mexican restaurant/bar was our first stop on our AA Dines crawl. When we arrived there was a Mariachi band playing. For me the music was too loud for the small bar area. The musicians were very talented though. I had my signature drink, a margarita on the rocks with salt. Yes this is my favorite drink. There was a play gambling machine on the bar with a variety of activities to choose from. I can't say much about this bar staff. They weren't very friendly and they were very slow. This restuarant offer inside and patio dining.

Favorite Dish: Margarita on the rocks with salt.

Benningans: STOP THREE ON THE DINES CRAWL THROUGH MILFORD

by moiraistyx Written Jun 25, 2006

Okay, this is a chain restaurant, serves the usual burgers and chicken like many of the chain restaurants in the United States. This was our final stop on the AA dines crawl through Milford. The food was average. It was very quiet her since we got there near ten. My travel buddie got an interesting sanwhich, a burger in a pita. The pic is below.

Favorite Dish: I got the blue cheese burger which is a favorite of mine. I love the flavor combination of blue cheese and beef. My buddy got a burger pita dish that he devoured.

Texas Roadhouse: Good Ol' Texas BBQ

by Bilimari Updated Aug 13, 2006

Texas Roadhouse is a chain restaurant, perfect for a casual dining with your friends and family. Good place for a b-day party, etc. (Translation: The place can get quite loud with party group.) The entire place is decorated in Texas/Southern theme. Most tables are booth style.

When you are seated, they give you a bucket of roasted peanuts still in shell, and an empty bucket for you to put shells in. My daughter is a fan of their fresh baked hot rolls with honey butter.

If you'd like to order steaks, go up to the meat counter and choose your steak meat from the display. They'll cook it to your order.

The place is always busy, especially during the weekend dinner time. They don't take a reservation, but you can call in to put your name on the waiting list before you head out there.

Hours:
    Mon-Thur. 4-10:30
    Fri. 4-11
    Sat. 11:30-11
    Sun. 11:30-9:30

Favorite Dish: Killer Ribs with Chili and Baked Sweet Potato on the side. mmmmmm

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Educated Burgher: Not your typical burger joint

by karenincalifornia Written May 26, 2006

I have not misspelled the name of this place. It is the "Educated Burgher" - a play on words. It is located just outside Yale University in New Haven and is a favorite of the Yalies. It's not your typical burger joint. For one thing, the walls are lined with books. Second, it has a great vegetarian menu.

Favorite Dish: When my friends suggested this as a place to eat lunch, I dutifully agreed, since I don't like to be a pain in the butt, just because I'm a vegetarian. However, I was surprised to see there was a wide variety of vegetarian items. I had a veggie burger - don't knock it until you've tried it here. It was really delicious!

Educated Burgher, New Haven, Connecticut
    • Study Abroad

SBC Restaurant and Brewery: STOP TWO ON THE DINES CRAWL THROUGH MILFORD

by moiraistyx Written Jun 25, 2006

We didn't eat here, this was the second stop on our AA Dines tour of Milford. I got my usual, a margarita on the rocks with salt. The atmosphere was about average. The usual yuppies and college crowd. I have to admit they had some of the better looking bartenders around, all men. I would like to make one note, the bathroom here was nasty. It was very dirty and it smelled. Might have just been an off day, but still it was gross. This restuarant sits directly across from the Stonbridge Restaurant.

Favorite Dish: A magarita on the rocks with salt.

Super Duper Weenie: The Home of the New Englander Dog

by cjg1 Written Dec 13, 2011

We had seen the sign for Super uper Weenie along the I-95 interstate for years but never stopped in until we saw it featured on the Food Network show:Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Now Super Duper Weenie is the place we frequent regularly for one of their delicious hotdogs. The place is right off of the highway so it's an easy on/off if your just pasing by on the highway. The place itself is on the small side with some counter top stools and some back area seating. The menu is posted on the left side wall by the soda coolers and has a variety of hot dogs, burgers, grilled cheese, sandwiches and french fies.

My favorite hot dog is called the New Englander. It's hot dog covered in Sauerkraut, Bacon, Mustard, Sweet Relish & Raw Onion seved on a hot dog bun. It is incredibly good...that says alot since I'm not a big hot dog fan. Liz likes her hotdog with just mustard and sauerkraut. The fries here are very good and crisy. A large order though is enough for two people to share. SDW also carries a nice selection of Boylans sodas which are some of our favorites especially the Root Beer, Black Cherry and Birch beer. It's a nice local place with good food and a nice casual atmosphere. ...that's why we love going to Super Duper Weenie.

Favorite Dish: The New Englander Hot Dog is my favorite with a side of fires and a diet Boylan's Root Beer. It totally hits the spot!

Sundown Saloon: Great Happy Hour Food

by cjg1 Written Dec 15, 2011

Sundown Saloon to me is the kind of place I wish were my local, at least when I wanted to have a local.

A very relaxed and comfortable bar in the center of the room with tables around the edges you will always feel at home here.

The highlight though is their happy hour. Monday to Friday from 4pm until 7pm some drafts are $2 and most appetizers are only $5. The drink prices are nice but the apps are out of this world. I truly love the nachos here and can say the spinach dip is also quite nice.

Liz and I often find ourselves here for happy hour and a snack either together or with friends.

Favorite Dish: The nachos here are excellent. They are served piping hot on a metal tray and smothered with cheese, scallions and beans. Chili, salsa and sour cream are in bowls on the side to dip the chips in. I am a big fan of the chili dip; it's very good and quite tasty. The spinach dip is also quite nice. It's served warm and cheesey with crispy tortilla triangles for dipping. We just tried the fried calamari here and Wow it is good. Perfectly crispy with a spicy aioli dipping sauce. The burgers here are also very good and juicy but we usually prefer just to grab some appetizers.

**The Margaritas here are very good**

Planet Pizza: Loving the Grandma Pizza

by cjg1 Written Dec 15, 2011

Planet Pizza is a typical pizza joint with some tables. They serve a variety of sandwiches, salads, calzones, pastas, italian dishes and pizza of course. The menu has a variety of classic pizzas such as pepperoni, mushroom and sausage as well as specialty pizza like baked ziti pizza, sicilian pizza and buffalo chicken pizza. We often find ourseleves here for a slice of pizza before catching a movie or Liz will pick up a pie on her way home from work.

There are several locations of Planet Pizza (Greenwich, Stamford and White Plains) but we like this location the best. The food here is always good and I've never been dissapointed by the freshness or quality.

Favorite Dish: The Grandma's pizza is our favorite. It resembles a sicilian pizza but is thinner like focacia bread. It is topped with garlic, plum tomatoes, basil and frsh mozzarella. The crust is perfect and crisp, the mozarella is fresh and creamy and the tomatos and basil are so good. It really is an awesome pizza. Liz enjoys it because it reminds her of her Great Granmother's pizza. So it's not unusual for me to come home to a Grandma's Pizza waiting for me.

The garlic knots are also very good here but you will stink of garlic for a day despite brushing your teeeth and showering. The white pizza here is very good and not soggy. The gorgonzola salad is very good and piled high with gorgonzola pieces. The meatball parm sandwich is very good and too big to finish...I barely make it through a half. They also have a Chicken Marsala Pizz which is out of thei world. I never tjought it would be good but it's phenomenal.

Connecticut Hotels

• Colony New Haven

1157 Chapel Street, (Hotel Currently Under Renovation), New Haven, Connecticut, 06511, United States

Good for: Families

34 Reviews - 113 Photos
Kent Hotels
11 Reviews - 12 Photos

Instant Answers: Connecticut

Comments

Connecticut Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Connecticut restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Connecticut sightseeing.
Map of Connecticut