Ridgefield Travel Guide

Ridgefield Commons
    by ciaobellamici

Ridgefield Things to Do

by msbrandysue Updated Oct 5, 2010

This was a very fun stop in Ridgefield. It's actually just about a mile from the downtown shopping area and on the way in/out of town. I went on a Tuesday so I actually got in for free!

When I walked in I signed my name to the guest book and talked with the friendly people at the desk who kind of explained the different areas. It was really fun exploring the different exhibits but it wasn't too big. Yes, there's PLENTY to see, especially for a small Connecticut town museum but it won't take a whole day, like the Dallas and Houston museums I'm used to can do.

Now, the art is all contemporary so you're not going to see still pictures and things of the

sort. The media used is very technologically driven and all sorts of different materials. Upstairs there is this room you go into that is COMPLETELY black and eventually your eyes will start getting adjusted and you'll begin seeing some images...nothing scary but still kinda nerve-wrecking.

Also, there's a very nice sculpture garden in the back with VERY big scale items. It was nice to walk around outside on the warm summer day I visited.

And, one last great addition...they have a GREAT gift shop. :) They had lots of children's books on art, which I like to take back to my classroom. I think I found two...very neat. The jewelry was dangerous too but I made it out of there without spending a fortune. Plus, with free admission I felt like I deserved at least a little something!

Hours
    Tuesday - Sunday, 12 noon to 5 pm
    Closed on Mondays and New Year's Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day
    Special Holidays: The Museum is open on the Fourth of July, Memorial Day, and Labor Day.

Admission
    Adults $7, seniors & college students $4
    Members, K-12 teachers and children 18 & under FREE
    FREE admission on Tuesdays
    FREE admission to shop at the Museum Store every day during Museum hours

• Photography
    • Museum Visits

by msbrandysue Written Oct 3, 2010

One of the things that was featured about the area was Ridgefield's cute downtown. Although it's only half a mile of lil shops and businesses it's worth the drive. It's very quiet, but has a buzz and the shops are really great. Another treat was Chez Lenard, the fancy hot dog cart. Even if you don't enjoy shopping I still think you'd like wandering up and down the street on a nice, cool summer day.

• Ridgefield Hotels

2 Hotels in Ridgefield

63 Reviews and Opinions

Ridgefield Hotels

Ridgefield Restaurants

by msbrandysue Written Oct 4, 2010

Chez Lenard was featured in the book 1000 Things to See Before You Die. The gourmet hot dogs are quite the experience. The vendor, who bought the business a few years ago, was very friendly and helped me pick a good hotdog for my tastes. He recommended the "Le Hot Dog Garniture Suisse" which is a hot dog topped with imported Cheese Fondue in White Whine and Kirsch. I was a bit hesitant so I also got a plain hotdog. Then I got a can of Mountain Dew and found a bench across the street and enjoyed my hot dogs while watching the city of Ridgefield pass right by me. It was a definite highlight of my trip. I love those quiet moments of just observing a new place.

The Hot Dog Suisse was absolutely delicious. I was very surprised because I have to admit I was pretty skeptical. But I loved it. It was different but a good different.

I'm not the only one who thinks this, though. The Suisse was featured on Martha Stewart and many other fine dining/gourmet food magazines.

Favorite Dish: Ok, so since I described the food already I wanted to just take a moment and say how impressed I was with the lineage of owners. I have a heart for supporting local small businesses and this Chez Lenard cart is just one of love and appreciation of customers and Ridgefield. I just had to put this quote of the current owner of the stand, Mike Principi

Eh, I tried to copy/paste but the site won't allow. Follow the link to the last paragraph. So refreshing!

Letter to Customers

Ridgefield Shopping

by msbrandysue Written Oct 4, 2010

The Orange Elephant is a true treasure of Ridgefield. I've always loved children's book stores and often wanted my own. If you've never seen the movie You've Got Mail, you may want to check it out. Great flick about an owner of a children's book store. LOVE IT.

Ok, back to the task at hand, though... This was a charming place to stop. I'm used to discounted books so I didn't find anything on sale. However, I was about to have a super hero theme in my classroom and found two capes here! The kids adored them all year.

The staff was very friendly and it was fun to talk with them about current children's literature. It's definitely a passion of mine. Overall, I think this is a fun place to stop on your Ridgefield downtown visit.

*They also have author signings and book celebrations when popular books become available to the public. Storytime is around noon on Tuesdays and you can even have a birthday party here!! :)

What to buy: Childrens books, games, and super hero capes :) and other small costume add-ons.

What to pay: Plan to pay the publisher price, with no discounts.

by msbrandysue Written Oct 3, 2010

I enjoyed shopping downtown on Main Street. There are no big shopping centers in the area so most is speciality items anyways. Although not too familiar with the area I would imagine this downtown area is some of the best around for quite a few miles.

My favorite shops were the independently owned children's book store The Orange Elephant and the children's toy/learning store The Toy Chest. The local store owners were very nice and gracious for the support.

What to buy: The shops I strolled into were toys and books. But shoes, jewelry and clothes were also very prevalent.

What to pay: Manufacturer prices on toys and books.

by msbrandysue Updated Sep 29, 2010

I wandered into the Toy Chest while roaming Ridgefield's downtown shopping street. It's pretty small but has a wide selection of mainstream toys like stuffed animals and common board games. But I really enjoyed their selection of educational games and toys. I don't have children of my own but I do teach second and third graders and I picked up a lot of great learning games here.

The store is really packed full. But the people who run it are very nice. I felt good shopping here, supporting to local community.

What to buy: Educational games were a great surprise to find here. I think I purchased 3 or 4. :)

What to pay: Prices alike Toys R Us or any other toy store.

Ridgefield Local Customs

• by rastaman1 Written Oct 4, 2002

When you come to ridgefield make sure you greet the rasta's properly. Open up your hearts to love and fill your souls with hapiness. Let the mellow mood get you and let the music rock you. The people of ridgefield have love for all visitors.

Ridgefield What to Pack

• by rastaman1 Written Oct 4, 2002

Miscellaneous: all you must bring to ridgefield is your love and open heart. You must let love some running in that open heart. love sweet love. Do not forget to pack your happiness, love, open heart and a few good marley records. I would bring natty dread and exodus.

Ridgefield Favorites

• by rastaman1 Written Oct 4, 2002

Favorite thing: Visit the many beautiful shops and resteraunts. Make sure you eat at the Elms Inn where Brad works. He is the ultimate rasta cook.

Fondest memory: Marching down main street with the beatiful rastas who have made this wonderful town there home.

Instant Answers: Ridgefield

Comments

Ridgefield Travel Guide
Map of Ridgefield