Rocky Hill Travel Guide

• Rocky Hill
    by Gypsystravels
  • Rocky Hill
    by cjg1
    Really like these beds :)
    by Gypsystravels

Rocky Hill Things to Do

by turbinelover Written Sep 28, 2006

Ferry Park is a good place to go if you want to relax by the Connecticut river. It has the oldest operating ferry in the US (the Cumberland), and a little place to eat (The Pilot House). It's not too exciting, but there are some hiking trails nearby, and some other activities across the river in Glastonbury. If you have a boat or jet ski, there is a good launching pad, and you can go north toward Hartford or south toward Middletown on the river.

• Sailing and Boating

by turbinelover Written Sep 28, 2006

Upon digging in a construction site, workers found a bunch of dinosaur bones and preserved tracks. The constructions stopped immediately and a museum was built to display the findings. It's an educational outing that is interesting for a short stay. It's only a few dollars to get in (less if you're young enough to pretend you're 17 or under). The hiking trails around the park are also great. My favorite thing is the dinosaur tracks, though, because they have a walkway over them, and never actually removed them from the ground. This is definitely worth seeing if you're an archaeology fan with some spare time in CT, or just want to take the kids on a short, educational trip.

• Archeology
    • Museum Visits

• Rocky Hill Hotels

5 Hotels in Rocky Hill

Rocky Hill Hotels

Rocky Hill Restaurants

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

by Gypsystravels Updated May 17, 2010

We attempted to come to this restuarant during our first visit to Rocky Hill, but it was too crowded and we needed to get to our next location so we skipped it and decided to come back during another visit. I am glad we decided to, we really enjoyed our meal.

We decided that we would do lan early lunch and skip the crowds although they do take reservations, we weren't sure what time we'd be back to the hotel from exploring the area.

We arrived early on a Saturday and we were seated promptly. The restaurant is a decent size and reminds me of a "dinner" in its layout. As you enter, there is a bar to the back and right and the dinning area is to the left. We were handed our menus and a basket assorted bread and breadsticks along with a nice pitcher of water was brought over.

I had previously checked out the menu on-line and had a good idea of what I was going to order, Ferni can't have seafood, so he ordered steak.

We usually do a preliminary search on places to eat prior to going to any new location so we have an idea of choices, and this particular restuarant is listed as one of the best in the area with very good reviews with the locals. Not to mention this is also an AA I-Dine restaurant.

Favorite Dish: We started with appetizers, we ordered the Thai Sea Scallops, sea scallops with Thai peanut sauce served with cole slaw, an order of mozzarella sticks, they were huge, served with marinara sauce.

For our meals Ferni had the NY Strip steak, it was so yummy, with fries and I ordered the shrimp scampi with linguini which was good.

The food was quite good, next time I think I will definitely try the fish!!

They do give you plenty of food and although I did finish off the scallops, we took a doggie bag with 3 of the mozzarella sticks, and half of Ferni's steak, I left almost all of my pasta, too much food.

Yummy Thai Sea Scallops Huge Mozzarella sticks Shrimp scampi w/linguini Ferni's steak Ferni deciding what to order
    • Wine Tasting

by cjg1 Updated Apr 30, 2010

The Saybrook Fish House was a place that was recomended to us through various entities: our friend Carrie eats here with her family, Trip Advisor, and the hotel has listed this restuarant as a dining option. We came here for dinner after checking in to the Hampton In down the road. The restaurant looked rather small from the outside but inside it was quite large. There was a large bar area to the right upon entering. To the left were two large dining rooms. the restaurant looks like it has seen betetr days decor wise but it didn't matter to me as long as the food was good.

The hostess sat us proptly at a nice table for two in the corner by the window; got to love the people watching factor. There were several diners already enjoying dinner when we were seated. Our waiter Jim came over with water, bread and menus. He explained the specials and that all entrees come with salad,choice of fries, rice or baked potato and fruit bowl for dessert. The bread bowl was filled with rye, pumpernickel, whole wheat, white and bread sticks with buter. The bread was toasty warm and very fresh. hile we perused the menu, Jim brought us ver two carafes of unsweetened iced tea. That made my day; since we always drink plenty of tea with our dinner.

The menu has a nice selction of seafood, fish, salad, appetizers, pasta and even chcicken and meat dishes. We decided to start with the crab stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer. For my main dish I selected the fish and chips. Liz selected the shrimp and scallops scampi over linguine. After our order was placed a large salad bowl was brough to the table with lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, mushrooms and cheese. Two dressings a creamy garlic and a champagne Vinaigrette were put on the table. I chose the champagne vinaigrette on my salad which was delicious. Liz went with the creamy garlic which she loved.

Our mushroom appetizer arrived piping hot in a bowl along with two small plates. The mushrooms were stuffed with a tasty crab meat stuffing and simmered in a buttery sauce. They were delicious and we finished every one. This is when we noticed that the place went from having six tables full to being jam packed with people waiting for tables. rom the conversations around us we gathered this was a big place with the locals and we could see why.

Our entrees arived about ten minutes after our appetizer was cleared by Jim. My plate of fish and chips was a huge portion. I knew just by looking at it I would need a doggie bag. Liz's plate was piled high with pasta, shrimp and scallops. I have to say my fish & chips are the best I have had in the US. The fish was flakey and the breading was perfect. Liz loved her shrimp and scallops; raving about their sweetness.

We left more than half of our meals on the plates and asked Jim to wrap them for us. We saved room to have some cheescake for me and creme brulee for Liz. My cheese cake was ok; nothing to rave about but Liz's creme brulee was too runny that she left it alone. After asking for the check Jim brought our doggie bags and our fruit baskets wrapped up to go.

This was an excellent meal except for the dessert. I will definitely return here for another meal when we are visiting Carie. I can understand why her parents are so fond of the place. We also found the music in the place amusing...they played "light" versions of The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, AC/DC and other bands which we found hysterically funny in a place filled with an older crowd.

Favorite Dish: The fish and chips were insanely good. The fish was tender and sweet. The breading was crisp and not too heavy. I will definitely order them again.

Scalop & Shrimp scampi Fish & Chips Big Bowl of Salad Crab Stuffed Mushrooms Cheesecake with Strawberries

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

by Gypsystravels Updated Apr 26, 2010

We were heading out early to our next destination and a good breakfast was in order, unfortunately, my breakfast didn't fall into that category. The diner is open 24 hours a day and is located in the Town Line Shopping Center just off the exit on 1-91.

The diner is quite large, with your typical diner decor, large booths, pastry display cabinet and a pretty large counter. We were seated immediately since it was early and there weren't that many people in the restaurant. The waitress came over all bubbly and took our drink order and left the menus.

The diner has your usual breakfast items but I wanted pancakes and ordered a short stack with bacon. The pancakes were a bit under cooked (yuk) and so, so dry that I barely took two bites. The bacon was okay, and the only part of my breakfast I ate. Ferni order the Challah French Toast with bacon and a side of fries and said his French Toast was okay so were the fries, he wasn't too happy about the bacon since he likes it extra crispy and it wasn't to his liking.

Not sure I'd come here again, but if I did, would probably order something else.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the pancakes which I was quite dissappointed with, Ferni had the Challah French Toast with bacon and fries and said his breakfast was okay.

Getting ready to be disappointed :( My undercooked pancakes Ferni's Challah French Toast Exterior of the diner

Rocky Hill Transportation

by cjg1 Updated Apr 30, 2010

Rocky Hill is easily accesible by car via I-91. We stayed at the Hampton Inn right off of exit 24 during our recent roadtrip. We visited Wethersfield which is very close by to visit a friend.

I'm at the helm.....

Rocky Hill What to Pack

by cjg1 Updated Apr 26, 2010

Luggage and bags: A small rollaboard since this was our last stop on a long weekend roadtrip.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: We always pack well prepared and brought both warm and cold er weatehr clothing with heavier jackets. It is Spring time and weather can be very warm or chilly.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Contacts, contact lens solution, hair gel, brush, toothpaste, tooth brush, deodorant and body wash.

Photo Equipment: My digital camera, memory card reader and charger.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: An umbrella

Miscellaneous: My lap top and cell phone charger

Rocky Hill Off The Beaten Path

by turbinelover Written Sep 28, 2006

Quarry Park is a great place to hike in Rocky Hill. It's a small park, but is good for picnics or for something to do near the Ferry. You can come in through numerous entrances, including the Rail Trail down by Ferry Park and a path from a small parking lot off of Old Main St. Some of the trails have gravel, but don't be afraid to walk on the wild side. Make sure to do some exploring and try to find the old mine shaft. There is another cement building too, but I'm not sure of its origin. They are both pretty much covered in graffiti - which highlights the suburban angst of the town's youth. There are a few large overlooks from which you can see Glastonbury and Hartford. Just explore.

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Rocky Hill

Comments

Rocky Hill Travel Guide
Map of Rocky Hill