Southport Travel Guide

Southport Restaurants

• cjg1's Profile Photo

by cjg1 Updated Apr 23, 2012

Coromandel is one of several restaurants in a chain with locations in Connecticut and New York. I hate to say “chain” because it gives off that air of bad processed food and this is not the case here.

We have dined in the Milford location and the South Norwalk location before deciding to try the Southport restaurant back in 2011. Two of my wife’s co-workers rave about this location and their opinion matters since they are both incredible Indian cooks themselves.

We decided to come here for a nice Saturday dinner for two. The restaurant is located in what I would call a small strip mall with one other store. Inside the décor is colorful without being loud with an inviting vibe. There is a separate bar area on the left with tables as well as the main dining area. We were seated at a cozy table for two and handed our menus.

The menu has an assortment of dishes: lamb, fish, chicken, vegetarian along with a variety of appetizers, soup and bread. As we perused the menu we decided on some drinks. I chose a Taj Mahal (my beer of choice when eating Indian food) and my wife ordered one of their delicious fresh lime sodas. The Lime soda is incredibly good and made to order with a choice of sweet or salty. My wife loves the fresh lime flavor and I must say it is quite refreshing (I always steal a few sips). On the table was a crisp spicy bread with an assortment of dips: one sweet, one a spicy cilantro and the other a tart red pepper. I love the cilantro dip the best; just the right amount of spice.

We decided to start by sharing the Vegetable Platter as an appetizer; which is one of our favorites. I ordered my favorite Sagwala Gosht as my main entrée. My wife couldn’t find her all time favorite the Aloo Gobi Palek but asked the waiter if there was something close to it on the menu. He said it was not on the menu but the chef would happily make the dish for her; needless to say she was thrilled. We also ordered some Garlic Naan to complete our meal.

As we waited for our appetizer we were able to simply relax, sit back and enjoy the place. The background music was quite nice with a mix of traditional Indian sitar music and some more modern sounding dance music. Our appetizer arrived about ten minutes later and piping hot. The vegetable platter was a large potion of eggplant, potato, cauliflower, spinach & onion fritters along with a vegetable Samosa. The vegetables were incredible good especially the onion and spinach but it was just too much food for us to finish.

Our main dishes arrived in large white bowls along with a heaping portion of rice and a large basket of Garlic Naan. Just from looking at the food we knew we’d have plenty of leftovers. My Lamb was so tender and spiced perfectly; it is one of the top three Lamb dishes I have had in an Indian restaurant. After a few spoonfuls of my Lamb along with a piece of Naan; I surrendered and decided to take the remained home. My wife was thrilled with her meal especially the large chunks of potato in her dish. After she ate a few bites more then me; she finally surrendered herself to taking the rest home.

Our food was wrapped up in containers and placed in a paper shopping bag. Warm towels were brought out to the table for us to clean our hands. After a glance at the dessert menu we knew there was no way we could possible eat any more so we asked for the check.

I have to say this place blows our favorite Coromandel in Milford awayand we have dined her many times since. We loved the décor and overall vibe here so much better. The service was phenomenal and the food was delicious.

We recently tried their weekend lunch buffet; which was incredibly good. The variety was excellent and the food delicious. Yet again, they knocked this one out of the park.

Favorite Dish: The lamb was incredible; perfectly tender and spiced.

Garlic Naan Rice Aloo Gobi Palek Lime Soda Vegetable Platter

Instant Answers: Southport

Comments

Southport Travel Guide
Map of Southport