West Hartford Travel Guide

West Hartford Things to Do

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Blue Back Square

by cjg1 Updated May 18, 2015

Blue Back Square is a shopping/entertainment center that reminds me of the Ridge Hill Cneter in Yonkers. The center has a variety of shops, restaurants and a movie theatre. Everything is located outside so you can enjoy the fresh air while going from shop to shop. Their are sevral parking garages throughout the plaza; paid parking though.

They have some of our favorite shops here such as Crate & Barrel, Munson's, White House Black Market, Whole Foods, Charming Charlie,REI, and Giftology. There are sevreal restaurant options and we enjoy having a nice meal at Rizzuto's and the Cheesecake Factory; both never dissapoint.

Our most recent visit was in May 2015 for some brunch at Rizzuto's followed by some shopping.

• johncudw's Profile Photo

Go to Elizabeth Park in June

by johncudw Updated Sep 19, 2008

In mid-June is when most of the roses
    come out. Off Prospect Avenue - the
    border between West Hartford and Hartford.
    A wonderful place for a picnic or just to
    sit around in a field in the sun.

June Roses
    • School Holidays

• johncudw's Profile Photo

Ride around town

by johncudw Updated Jun 2, 2008

This town is fairly flat and has neighborhoods
    that are good for bicycle riding.
    This is me with my new Motobecane bicycle.
    and shirt, getting ready to ride
    in 1977 - after 12th grade.

Riding up upper Bentwood

West Hartford Restaurants

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Rizzuto's: Great Italian Lunch

by cjg1 Updated Mar 31, 2015

My wife and I were doing a bit of shopping at Blue Back Square and decided to grab a bit to eat. We had passed Rizzuto's before but never ventured inside. This time we decided to give it a try for brunch/lunch.

When we entered the restaurant the place was packed. The hostess gave us a choice of tables and we chose a cozy table in the corner away from the cold entrance. Our waiter came over promptly and handed us menus; a lunch/brunch menu and a drink menu. My wife instantly knew what she wanted to drink after a glance at the menu; a Maui Mimosa(passion, orange and pineapple juices with champagne). I chose an unsweetened iced tea as I was doing the driving.

After persuing both the lunch and brunch menus we decided on some lunch items. As an appetizer we chose the fried calamari;which is always a favorite for us. For entrees my wife chose the penne vodka and I chose the cavatelli. Our calamari arrived rather quickly after placing our order and looked amazing. The calamari came with two dipping sauces; a marinara and a garlic aioli. The calamari was incredibly fresh and the breading was so crisp. There were also fried peppers with the calamari which I enjoyed thoroughly.

While we waited for our entrees our waiter brough fresh baked bread from the oven with a portion of fresh ricotta and olive oil. The bread was so warm and delicious. The fresh ricotta was amazing; we finished it all with the bread. Our entrees were so delicious and nice sized portions. My wife's penne vodka was so good; the best we have had in Connecticut so far. My cavatelli was very good; a little heavy on the pesto but the chicken and roasted tomatoes made the dish. Needless to say there was no room for dessert.

I really enjoyed this meal and the friendly service. I would definitely come back here for another. meal.

Favorite Dish: I loved the freshness of the food; the bread, the calamari, the pasta and the chicken. The flavors were amazing that I think I'd be hard pressed to find something that wasn't good here.

Penne Vodka(March 2015) Cavatelli Fried Calamari Fresh bread with Ricotta and Olive Oil Maui Mimosa

West Hartford Off The Beaten Path

• redhat333's Profile Photo

Heublein Tower

by redhat333 Written Jul 26, 2004

The familiar Farmington River Valley landmark of Heublein Tower sits atop Talcott Mountain, a long, precipitous wooded ledge named after Revolutionary War hero John Talcott. The 165-foot structure was built as a summer home in 1914 by Gilbert Heublein. In the early fifties, two future presidents were guests of the Hartford Times, then General Dwight D. Eisenhower (who was asked to run for office there) and Ronald Reagan, then president of the Screen Actors' Guild. Following a period of ownership of the property by the Hartford Times during WWII and the early 1950's, it was slated for residential development by a private corporation when the 557 acres of Talcott Mountain came under public ownership in 1965 through the cooperative efforts of private conservationists and state and federal governments.
    The 1,000-foot high promontory provides a splendid view of the Connecticut landscape. On the horizon, Mount Monadnock, eighty miles away in New Hampshire, is discernible. To the northwest, the Berkshires dominate the horizon. Long Island Sound is revealed as a thin blue streak to the south. Those with sharp vision can see an area estimated to be 1,200 square miles.
    Hikers may encounter a variety of wildlife including deer, fox and rabbits in this natural sanctuary. Bird watchers enjoy occasional sightings of the turkey vulture, bald eagle, and pileated woodpecker. During May, visitors find wildflowers such as trillium, trout lily, wood anemone, and Dutchman's breeches among the damp, craggy rocks. Tables, grills, and toilets are available for picnickers.

Heublein Tower