Westport Travel Guide

Westport Things to Do

• by gtrplyr1234 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Compo is one the most well maintained beaches in the state. It features both volleyball and basketball courts, a baseball field, and a large playground for youngsters. It also is a great place to lay down a towel and enjoy the summer while your kids have fun as well. This is a sight you must see in Westport!

A beautiful sunset at Compo
    • Travel with Pets

by msbrandysue Updated Oct 21, 2010

When in Westport you have to check out the Westport County Playhouse. I came here because it's featured in 1000 Things to See Before You Die: USA Edition. The tickets are a bit higher than most other community playhouses but this is a great theater. It's very elegant and rather impressive. I didn't expect anything quite as nice. However, I can understand why my tickets were somewhat high because I went in the busy summer season for the big musical that starred New York City movie actors. No one MAJOR but men I've recognized from smaller roles. I saw "Tick, Tick...Boom!" from the same guy who did Rent. Not quite as inspirational but quite good. Really enjoyed the experience here!

They also offer a dinner next door called Dressing Room where you can get a glass of wine and a nice, locally grown meal. I tried it and loved it. Plus, I got the best parking spot I could get arriving so much earlier than the show.

Hours during performances:
    Closed on Mondays
    Tuesday – Friday 12noon to 8:30pm
    Saturdays 11am to 8:30pm
    Sundays 11am to 3:30pm

Non-performance days
    Closed on Mondays
    Tuesday – Friday 12noon to 6pm

From my seat Great seats close to the front Lol wooden decorations make it seem very country
    • Theater Travel

260 South Compo Road, Westport, Connecticut, 06880, United States

Satisfaction: Average

Good for: Families

• Inn At National Hall

My last research found that the Inn at National Hall shut down after much local support. I'm hoping...

Westport Restaurants

• cjg1's Profile Photo

by cjg1 Updated Nov 8, 2010

We had heard rave reviews of this place from several of Liz's co-workers as well as this joint being on Food Network's; Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. We were headed North anyway and decided to stop here for an early lunch.

This place is definitely a "dive". The building is a rickety looking shack that looks as if it is about to fall over into the water. Inside is no better; a mish mosh of tables surrounding a cramped bar. My immediate turn off here was the amount of screaming kids running all over the place without any parental supervision...it was a free for all.

After being seated at a tiny table for two not far from the door (which by the way was constantly being opened by kids and letting a cold wind whip through). Our waitress handed us menus which were more like leaflets of stained paper (stained with food residue; quite gross). I decided I would have the nachos and a Miller Lite. Liz chose the hotdog with kraut with a side of Cajun curly fries. Our drinks arrived promptly and then another server brought us our food.

Liz liked her hot dog and fries; but how bad can you really screw that up. My nachos had potential; they looked visually good. Upon further inspection my nachos has actually slices of unmelted cheese(looked like Kraft singles) throughout the layers; that was enough for me to stop eating.

Getting the check proved to be difficult; we waited over twenty minutes to get someone's attention. Not that I can blam them; the place was a zoo of screaming, crying and running wild kids. I don't blame the staff for hiding. Needless to say the food was cheap at uner $20 for our tab but I don't think we will come here again.

Liz's hot dog and Cajun Curly Fries Waiting for my food My Miller Lite and Liz's Pepsi Liz waiting for her meal (November 2010) My nachos

by msbrandysue Written Oct 23, 2010

Since I was going to see a show at Westport County Playhouse I thought I'd try something around the same area. When I heard about their restaurant right next door called the Dressing Room, I was intrigued.

It was actually more fancy than I was expecting. It's dimly lit like a formal restaurant. The waiters are dressed very nicely with long, pressed aprons and treat their customers of the highest quality.

There are about 5-10 spots at a small bar to get a glass of wine or cocktail and the rest of the restaurant are smaller tables for pairs. The tables have a dimly lit candle and everything.

If you're seeing a night show at Westport I think you'll really love coming here earlier. It's also a great way to get a good parking spot before the rest of the audience shows up. And, you can't really be late to the show since you just have to walk down a ramp to get into the theater doors.

Hours:
    Brunch= Saturday & Sunday 11 am – 3 pm

Lunch=Wednesday–Friday 11:30 am – 2 pm

Dinner Non-show season
    Tuesday –Saturday Dinner from 6 pm
    Sunday Dinner from 5 pm

Dinner Show season
    Tuesday –Sunday Dinner from 5pm

Favorite Dish: To me, the fun part was the menu. Their menu is broken up into smaller portions, medium and larger meals. I tried the macaroni and cheese made from locally grown cows and wheat. And I also tried the mini burger from locally grown cows but it wasn't as fun as the macaroni. I thought since they were in the small portion part of the menu I'd order two things but the macaroni was plenty. Also had a glass of good white wine. The complimentary bread was also very good lol just saying.

• Theater Travel

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Westport? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Westport Nightlife

• by George7171 Written Jan 9, 2007

You have 3 main locations to party / drink in Westport and all 3 are within walking distance of each other.

1. Black Duck Cafe 588 Riverside Avenue- This is a hole in the wall bar. Built on a tilted barge it's not the drinks getting to you- the floor is uneven. Great place for bands on the weekend or Karaoke durign the week. Food is good and atmosphere is fun.

2. Viva Zapattas 530 Riverside Avenue - This mexican Restaurant/ Bar is a fun place. Bar area has a peanut barrell where you are EXPECTED to drop your peanut shells on the floor (you won't miss the fact that everyone knows this fact). Sometimes they have a band there but overall great margaritas, food is good and outdoor seating is available in the summer months.

3. Dunvilles 50 Saugatuck Avenue - Restaurant / Bar serving American style food- nights bar in full operation. Good music, fun bartenders and upper class crowd.

Dress Code: All 3 locations are causal. No problem showing up in a suit or shorts with a hawaiian Shirt

Westport Favorites

by msbrandysue Updated Oct 23, 2010

Favorite thing: Well, I took this picture and wanted to explain a few more details about Westport.

1) When I visited it was around July 4th and I liked how many American flags were up. It was especially fun when they were all along the big bridge connecting both parts of Westport.

2) The big river/water area kind of adds a relaxing element to the town.

3) A big shopping area is right on the water. There was a Starbucks on the left of the picture that I tried to go to after the night out at the Westport County Playhouse but it was closing..along with everything else. The shopping wasn't anything major. I didn't recognize any big chain stores. Many of them seemed high-end retail clothing stores for women.

Instant Answers: Westport

Comments

Westport Travel Guide
Map of Westport