Westport Travel Guide

Westport Things to Do

• A beautiful sunset at Compo

by gtrplyr1234 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Compo is one the most well maintained beaches in the state. It features both volleyball and basketball courts, a baseball field, and a large playground for youngsters. It also is a great place to lay down a towel and enjoy the summer while your kids have fun as well. This is a sight you must see in Westport!

• Travel with Pets

by msbrandysue Updated Oct 21, 2010

When in Westport you have to check out the Westport County Playhouse. I came here because it's featured in 1000 Things to See Before You Die: USA Edition. The tickets are a bit higher than most other community playhouses but this is a great theater. It's very elegant and rather impressive. I didn't expect anything quite as nice. However, I can understand why my tickets were somewhat high because I went in the busy summer season for the big musical that starred New York City movie actors. No one MAJOR but men I've recognized from smaller roles. I saw "Tick, Tick...Boom!" from the same guy who did Rent. Not quite as inspirational but quite good. Really enjoyed the experience here!

They also offer a dinner next door called Dressing Room where you can get a glass of wine and a nice, locally grown meal. I tried it and loved it. Plus, I got the best parking spot I could get arriving so much earlier than the show.

Hours during performances:

Westport Restaurants

• cjg1's Profile Photo
    Liz's hot dog and Cajun Curly Fries 4 more images

by cjg1 Updated Nov 8, 2010

We had heard rave reviews of this place from several of Liz's co-workers as well as this joint being on Food Network's; Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. We were headed North anyway and decided to stop here for an early lunch.

This place is definitely a "dive". The building is a rickety looking shack that looks as if it is about to fall over into the water. Inside is no better; a mish mosh of tables surrounding a cramped bar. My immediate turn off here was the amount of screaming kids running all over the place without any parental supervision...it was a free for all.

After being seated at a tiny table for two not far from the door (which by the way was constantly being opened by kids and letting a cold wind whip through). Our waitress handed us menus which were more like leaflets of stained paper (stained with food residue; quite gross). I decided I would have the nachos and a Miller Lite. Liz chose the hotdog with kraut with a side of Cajun curly fries. Our drinks arrived promptly and then another server brought us our food.

Liz liked her hot dog and fries; but how bad can you really screw that up. My nachos had potential; they looked visually good. Upon further inspection my nachos has actually slices of unmelted cheese(looked like Kraft singles) throughout the layers; that was enough for me to stop eating.

Getting the check proved to be difficult; we waited over twenty minutes to get someone's attention. Not that I can blam them; the place was a zoo of screaming, crying and running wild kids. I don't blame the staff for hiding. Needless to say the food was cheap at uner $20 for our tab but I don't think we will come here again.

by msbrandysue Written Oct 23, 2010

Since I was going to see a show at Westport County Playhouse I thought I'd try something around the same area. When I heard about their restaurant right next door called the Dressing Room, I was intrigued.

It was actually more fancy than I was expecting. It's dimly lit like a formal restaurant. The waiters are dressed very nicely with long, pressed aprons and treat their customers of the highest quality.

There are about 5-10 spots at a small bar to get a glass of wine or cocktail and the rest of the restaurant are smaller tables for pairs. The tables have a dimly lit candle and everything.

If you're seeing a night show at Westport I think you'll really love coming here earlier. It's also a great way to get a good parking spot before the rest of the audience shows up. And, you can't really be late to the show since you just have to walk down a ramp to get into the theater doors.

Hours:
    Brunch= Saturday & Sunday 11 am – 3 pm

Lunch=Wednesday–Friday 11:30 am – 2 pm

Dinner Non-show season
    Tuesday –Saturday Dinner from 6 pm
    Sunday Dinner from 5 pm

Dinner Show season
    Tuesday –Sunday Dinner from 5pm

Favorite Dish: To me, the fun part was the menu. Their menu is broken up into smaller portions, medium and larger meals. I tried the macaroni and cheese made from locally grown cows and wheat. And I also tried the mini burger from locally grown cows but it wasn't as fun as the macaroni. I thought since they were in the small portion part of the menu I'd order two things but the macaroni was plenty. Also had a glass of good white wine. The complimentary bread was also very good lol just saying.

• Theater Travel

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Westport? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Westport Nightlife

• by George7171 Written Jan 9, 2007

You have 3 main locations to party / drink in Westport and all 3 are within walking distance of each other.

1. Black Duck Cafe 588 Riverside Avenue- This is a hole in the wall bar. Built on a tilted barge it's not the drinks getting to you- the floor is uneven. Great place for bands on the weekend or Karaoke durign the week. Food is good and atmosphere is fun.

2. Viva Zapattas 530 Riverside Avenue - This mexican Restaurant/ Bar is a fun place. Bar area has a peanut barrell where you are EXPECTED to drop your peanut shells on the floor (you won't miss the fact that everyone knows this fact). Sometimes they have a band there but overall great margaritas, food is good and outdoor seating is available in the summer months.

3. Dunvilles 50 Saugatuck Avenue - Restaurant / Bar serving American style food- nights bar in full operation. Good music, fun bartenders and upper class crowd.

Dress Code: All 3 locations are causal. No problem showing up in a suit or shorts with a hawaiian Shirt

Westport Favorites

by msbrandysue Updated Oct 23, 2010

Favorite thing: Well, I took this picture and wanted to explain a few more details about Westport.

1) When I visited it was around July 4th and I liked how many American flags were up. It was especially fun when they were all along the big bridge connecting both parts of Westport.

2) The big river/water area kind of adds a relaxing element to the town.

3) A big shopping area is right on the water. There was a Starbucks on the left of the picture that I tried to go to after the night out at the Westport County Playhouse but it was closing..along with everything else. The shopping wasn't anything major. I didn't recognize any big chain stores. Many of them seemed high-end retail clothing stores for women.

Instant Answers: Westport

Comments

Westport Travel Guide
Map of Westport