Willimantic Favorites

by willichik15

Most Recent Favorites in Willimantic

• STRENGTH IN DIVERSITY

by Burbs Written Nov 13, 2003

Favorite thing: I would take someone who had never been to WIllimantic before, to a Windham High Friday night football game. The team gets a lot of support from locals, who seem to all know eachother, much of whom attended Windham High, and some of whom played football for the " Whippets." I have experienced the highest level of community at these games as a player as well as a fan. Father's emotionaly cheer on their son's and Windham High Alumni experience rare hometown pride that is hard to come by in WIllimantic. With the diversity of Willimantic, working as a team, with racial tension and differences set aside, the team creates poetic justice on the field as they represent hard work and teamwork despite insignificant differences off the field. The positve aspects of Willimantic can be summed up at a Whippet football game.

Fondest memory: I have a love/hate relationship with willimantic. I love to see those who come from Willimantic use what they have learned here and rise to success. The problem is, I can count them with my fingers. WIllimantic is unique in that it is not really a city, yet it has charectoristics of a city compressed in a smaller town. It is small enough that all the locals know all the other locals which gives the opportunity to learn about people who are not the same as you. Racial diversity is our strength if we consider it a strength. With the constant contact with people from other races in a smaller city, we realize we are all Willimantic. I am a caucasion raised in a town with many Puerto Rican's and i have learned that with cultural differences aside, we are one in the same. People from Willimantic have no choice but to be street smart. I believe our town houses many very smart people of different ethnicities that may be labled as stupid from other naive out of towners. (Eastern Students) There is not alot of financial opportunity in Willimantic, however there is a wealth of knowledge that can be gained here and later used in life to one's advantage. Willimantic boasts many street smart people who are not neccesarily accademicaly addept, but are smart nonetheless. If you are not from Willimantic, I ask that you notice this and admire this, and think about what you can learn from the locals and not just what you can teach them.

• home sweet home

by katjeanna Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: This is my home town. I love it here. People have said it is a bad place but the people make all the difference. Not pretentious, not snooty, just your everyday town. I love the shops on main street such as Cafe Downtown, Jewels Verne Jewlers and the Bench Shop.

Fondest memory: When I am away from home I really miss Third Thursdays. This is a weekly festival that celebrates the rich culture of Willimantic. There are street vendors, music, food and more. It is a great way to get to know the town and the people who live here!

• willichik15's Profile Photo

When you're here... You have...

by willichik15 Written Oct 4, 2002

Favorite thing: When you're here... You have GOT to go to Uncle Ken's.. They've got the best milkshakes, ice creams, slushies, name it, and they've probably got it.. Clam dog's, french fries, hot dogs, 30 somethin kinds of ice cream.. i think like 8 different kinds of shakes. Wonderful place to go.. People who work there are very cool and very friendly.

Fondest memory: I think, my best memory of Willimantic, would have to be at Rec. Park.. when I was a lil kid.. playing in the playscape.. going down the swirly slide.. and watching my brother play softball in the field.. was the best time.. its awesome.. thats one place u cant miss out on.. is Rec. Park..

Instant Answers: Willimantic

Comments

Willimantic Favorites

Reviews and photos of Willimantic favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Willimantic sightseeing.