New Castle Restaurants

Jessop's Tavern
    by kooka3

Most Recent Restaurants in New Castle

• kooka3's Profile Photo

Jessop's Tavern: Don't miss this place!

by kooka3 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is a beautiful place with wonderful food. It's a long room with old beams on the ceiling and wood floors. There's a long bar with 10 padded stools and stained glass around the back of the bar. There are a couple booths in the back of the restaurant, but mostly there are tables (about 14). A staircase goes up from the front of the restaurant, but I think it's a private area.

The lighting is fairly dim inside, unless you're near the front window. There's a fireplace which is great on a chilly day!

Decore consists of silk flowers in old thick glass bottles, muskets and oher old-fashioned guns and old paintings on the walls, and a large model sailboat in the window.

The place filled up quickly at lunchtime, but I sat at the bar, and only one other person was there.

Favorite Dish: I was told to try this pub because they made amazing soups and a beef stew. However, when I got there, they had a Beef and Cheedar sandwich with sweet potato fries on special for the day, so I tried it and it was GREAT!

They have a wide wine and champagne selection. In addition to several bottled beers, they also have Hoegaarden (Belgian White), Magic Hat, Troegs, Trumer Pils, Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale, Flying Fish Extra Pale, and Jessops Wheat Ale on tap. They say that their specialties are Keylime PIe and Concord Grape martinis, but I had a long drive ahead of me, so I didn't get to try those.

Ask for Tom the bartender - he was very nice!

I got the beef and cheddar sandwich and a pint of beer for $12.

Jessop's Tavern
    • Beer Tasting

• April1985's Profile Photo

Seasons Kitchen: Chinese Food ... Yellow Rice ?

by April1985 Written Aug 4, 2007

At work, a few co-workers wanted to get take out. Chinese sounded like, something we all wanted. So, Seasons Kitchen it was ! Now, again, I know I am comparing a lot of this stuff to South Jersey, but, what can I say, we have good food there! Now, this Chinese food was good, I'm not going to lie, BUT ... there is always a but ! ... the rice was yellow. Now when I think of yellow rice, I don't think Chinese ,I think of Spanish rice. I didn't want Spanish rice ( although i adore Spanish food) sometimes I need to have my brown rice , or white rice for that matter. Just not yellow. It irks me ... But , I had pepper steak with onion , and it was tasty .. although afterwards my eye swolled up. I have no idea what , but I think (and so do my co-workers) that maybe I had an allergic reaction to something in the food. It went down thankfully, but I don't know, there was something fishie about getting a puffy eye after eating Chinese food ( I have never had an allergic reaction... ever) all in all it was good food .. not great .. jersey does it better :)

Favorite Dish: I had Pepper steak with onion .. it was "okay" but for the $4.35 odd price tag (give or take a few cents) ... it was good

• April1985's Profile Photo

Dom's Deli - Subs - Steaks - Sandwich: Huge Sandwich !

by April1985 Written Aug 4, 2007

So this was the first place I ate at. I decided I wanted a sandwich. There are great deli's in NJ so, of course I have to compare. From outside, it looked like a hometown deli, that if I were a tourist, I would not have stopped for. It is in a row or other stores as well. So, I found this little place on my GPS. I walked in and someone was sweeping the floors and it looked like a regular little deli. They had I believe two booth's. You know, the little orange ones. The people were very nice. As soon as I walked in they said hello and asked me what I wanted. Of course I was undecided, so they gave me a few minutes. Well, once I told them what I wanted, they made it, and my sandwich was done within 10 minutes. Both ladies behind the counter made sure they yelled across the deli , "GOODBYE, THANKS FOR COMING!" made me feel like a local !

Favorite Dish: I purchased a ham and cheese sandwich with a little bit of mayo, salt & pepper. It was the biggest sandwich I have ever seen! I could only finished 3/4 of the thing! The ham had a funny oder, but that might have been because I did not specify which kind of ham I wanted. Usually when I don't say a certain type, most deli's just give you imported ham. But this deli might have given me like a Virginia baked, or something, I am just not used to. Maybe the cow's taste better in jersey ??? Also it was on a kaiser roll. I am very spoiled with bread because of living in South Jersey. We have Rando's bakery which is AMAZING ! .... The smell was half the reason I couldn't finish, the other half was because it was the largest sandwich I have ever gotten from a deli!

IHOP International House of Pancakes: i stop for i hop

by davecallahan Written Apr 7, 2007

I don't know how they do it but they can take a line of people a half a block long (exagerating) and get them all seated in under a half hour.
    It always seems that this place is busy when we go there. Most other places, I would just turn around and find someplace else to eat if the line is long. But here, you know you are going to be seated as quickly as possible.

And when you get to your booth, the waitress is smiling and isn't in a big tizzy or rush. You take a few minutes to browse the menu and we always end up with a stack of pancakes for the wife and french toast for me. Throw in a cup of coffee and some orange juice; top the meal with butter and choice of syrups; and you are full and satisfied.
    You put down a $20 and get some change and you leave.

Meanwhile that line of people has been moving right along all that time and there are still more people coming in.

The decor is strictly diner; the service is fast; the place is clean; the price is reasonable.

• davecallahan's Profile Photo

Pizza Hut: we never went back....

by davecallahan Updated Mar 26, 2007

It was late. We had been driving all day. We were starved and needed some food fast.
    Luckily we found a Pizza Hut that served a pizza within 15 minutes because that is more time than we could stand in this restaurant.

Friday night, pizza parlor on main highway and no customers (except us). That should have been a clue to us that this place wasn't very popular with the locals.
    We ordered a pizza and sat down in one of the booths to wait for it. In just a few minutes we noticed how unkempt the booths were. Food stains on the wood work, glass rings on the table tops. Then the flies began to bug us: three of them that seemed to work in pairs while one took a rest then they would switch pairs; constantly bzzzzzzzing but not landing. And just before the pizza arrived, the line of ants made a trail across one corner of the table.

When the pizza was ready we asked for a box and paid the young man and left. Considering the condition of the place, we should have left the pizza too, but we were starved and this looked like the only place open.

We never went there again during our whole wek stay and probably never will go back

restaurant on North DuPont
    • Seniors

• davecallahan's Profile Photo

Papa Johns: when you are in a hurry

by davecallahan Updated Mar 25, 2007

When we are on vacation, our normal meal schedule goes out the window.
    Often we are so busy seeing sites that we forget to eat when we should or don't have time for a sit down meal.
    That's when pizza take-out comes in handy. You can call ahead, get it in under 30 minutes and then eat as you drive or take it to the motel room and munch while you mull over the maps and brochures.

We have gone to Papa Johns in several states and never been dis-satisfied.
    Their pizzas always have a good helping of cheeses and are crispy crusts (not mushy, i hate mushy) with a nice sweet sauce. They have a good assortment of added toppings: traditional pepperoni, mini-meat-balls, pineapple (the latest craze), anchovies (hold your breath, please), et.al. See the website shown below for a full menu.

A typical medium pizza (8 big wedges) is about $10. Throw in a couple cokes and a dozen chicken wings and you feed two people quickly for under $20.

restaurant in plaza on East Basin Road
    • Seniors

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

David Finney Inn & Restaurant: Local Pub and Restaurant

by tpangelinan Updated Jun 17, 2003

Lunch, Dinner, Tavern
    We were here in May, 2003 and the Inn is under new management. They close early, as a matter of fact, on a Sunday at 4pm we saw them turn away about 15 Russian Folks traveling together. Wow, they must be rich, this new management, because they surely dont need business.

• Museum Visits

• Jessop's Tavern: Jessop's Tavern

by legalady Written Oct 4, 2002

The atmosphere is that of a colonial pub. There are only a few tables, so reservations are usually necessary. The ambiance is romantic, but business dinners are fine too. Everything on the menu is tasty. I've never had a bad meal and the service is grand!

Favorite Dish: Swedish Apple Cake

Instant Answers: New Castle

Comments

New Castle Restaurants

Reviews and photos of New Castle restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for New Castle sightseeing.