New Castle County Farmers Market
A Spring, Summer, Fall activity, for 'junking' outside. Located in the middle of New Castle, right across the street from our airport, is the largest Farmers Market around. Inside and outside vendors, with strict rules for vendors, such as no new items can be sold outside. Open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
CD/DVD STORE, BARBER SHOP, MUSIC STORE, WICKER/FLOWER MARKET, SOCKS ONLY STORE, $1.00 JUNK STORE, JEANS,LEATHER, TOOLS, 2 JEWELRY STORES, PET STORE, 2 FURNITURE STORES, TOY STORE, HARLEY/BIKER STORE, (Side note: Got Uncle Bill (he is a biker, has ridden his Gold Wing to from DE to Florida) a shirt that says "If you can read this, the b@*!h fell off"....) Not sure Aunt Kathy liked that shirt too much, it may have met with foul play in laundry.
AT LEAST 100 VENDORS WITH ALL KINDS OF "ONE MAN'S TRASH IS ANOTHER MAN'S TREASURE" ITEMS.Related to:
- Budget Travel
- Family Travel
Rehoboth Beach, Indian River Inlet
From June to September it is Beach time in Delaware, Maryland and New Jersey. All can be easily accessed in a day trip from Delaware. If you have small children Rehoboth Beach Board walk is more calm. They will ask to go on rides every night, grab your wallet. For teenagers, go to Ocean City MD's board walk.
4 more images
VT Meet at the Punkin Chunkin*
Release your Inner Hillbilly at the Punkin Chunkin this November with fellow Virtual Tourists!*
The World Championship Punkin Chunkin* - a pumpkin slinging contest in which you invent a device that can "chuck" an 8-10lb pumpkin the furthest distance. They also have a theatrical entry, this one is for those of us that are more "ham" then engineer. Pumpkins are everywhere in this field of fun, they toss 'em, decorate them, sing to them and of course they cook em. The cooking contest entry's range from the obvious pumpkin pie to the more unique pumpkin ale!
This past year they had over 20,000 people attend!
2007 dates Nov. 2,3, & 4
PunkinChunkin(Directions from link above)FROM WASHINGTON DC-Take Rt 50 East to 404 towards Bridgeville,DE. Turn Left on to Rt 404 (W. Newton Rd) and go to Rt 13. Turn Right and go South to Rt40 (Redden Rd). Turn Left and follow signs to Deer Forrest Rd. Turn Right and go to Chaplin’s Chapel Rd. Turn Right. The Chunk is straight ahead.
FROM REHOBOTH BEACH-Rt1 North to Rt 9 West at Lewes. Take Rt 9 West to Georgetown. At the Circle, take the first Right (Bedford Street) 404 West. At Route 113, turn North to Rt 40 (Redden Rd) Turn Left on Redden Rd and go West to Chaplin’s Chapel Rd. Turn Left. The Chunk is straight ahead.Related to:
- Arts and Culture
- Adventure Travel
- Family Travel
The Zwaanendael Museum
The Zwaanendael Museum features exhibits pertaining to the maritime, military, and social history of Sussex County and the Lewes area. Visitors can examine artifacts, maps, sketches, lithographs, and photographs which cover more than 11,000 years of culture in the region.
The museum's first floor features the Maritime History of the Delaware, consisting of five thematic sections covering different aspects of Lewes history. The First Inhabitants exhibit examines the region's early American Indian history and maritime traditions. The Horseshoe Crabs display teaches visitors about the odd-looking crustacean that is abundant in the mid-Atlantic region and is almost an iconic symbol of the area. The Maritime on the Delaware exhibit looks at the infrastructure created for travel by sea and river in the area, and the pilots involved in the navigation of those waters. The exhibit entitled 18th Century Technology and the DeBraak explores shipbuilding techniques and technology discovered while excavating H.M.S. DeBraak, Delaware's most famous shipwreck. And finally, the Dutch Connections display teaches about the early European exploration, travels, and settlements in the Lewes area.
The second floor of the museum is dedicated to Rediscovery Through Recovery: the Roosevelt Inlet Shipwreck Site. This exhibit focuses on maritime archaeology and its use during the recovery of nearby shipwrecks.
The museum contains other exhibits and displays which include artifacts from the British bombardment of Lewes during the War of 1812, the old Cape Henlopen Lighthouse, and the uniforms and weapons of local militiamen.
The Zwaanendael Museum is housed in a building constructed in 1931 to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the first Dutch settlement in Delaware. Featuring a Dutch-style ornamental gable and carved stonework, the building was modeled after the townhall in Hoorn, Netherlands.
kathycollins's Things to Do Tip
If you are staying on the Delaware beaches, you can get the ferry to Cape May from Lewes, save some money by walking on the ferry rather than bringing your car, and there is a shuttle to the Victorian town of Cape May...or from Cape May, ride over to Lewes and catch the trolley to the outlet malls and to Rehoboth Beach.
The State Capitol Building
The Delaware State Capitol Building, more properly called the Delaware Legislative Hall, houses the chambers of the Delaware House of Representatives and the Senate (together comprising the General Assembly), the offices of the governor and lieutenant governor, and various governmental offices.
Although the building's Colonial Revival architectural style dates from the eighteenth century, the capitol building was actually constructed during the Great Depression, between 1931 and 1933. It was designed by architect E. William Martin under the authority of the State Buildings and Grounds Commission. Unlike most capitol buildings in the United States, the Delaware Legislative Hall does not have a dome, but instead a Colonial Revival-style spire. Between 1965 and 1970, north and south wings were added to each side of the building to provide office space for every member of the General Assembly.
Prior to the construction of the Delaware Legislative Hall, the Delaware General Assembly had been housed in the Old State House, now a museum.
Nowadays, visitors can take a guided tour of the capitol building, visiting each chamber of the General Assembly, as well as the impressive Hall of Governors, which contains portraits of all of Delaware's governors.
The Old State House
Designed by architect John Howe, and constructed between 1778 and 1791, the Old State House was the first building to serve as the capitol of Delaware. The Georgian-style state house was the home of both the state General Assembly and the Kent County government.
Over the course of its history, the Old State House has undergone several renovations and the addition of wings to accommodate the expanding needs of the government. In 1873, the exterior was remodeled in the Victorian style of architecture. However, in 1976, the building's original Georgian style was restored as part of Delaware's bicentennial celebration commemmorating the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
In 1933, the Delaware General Assembly moved from the Old State House to the more spacious Delaware Legislative Hall. The Old State House was converted into a museum, and is one of the most beloved and important buildings on The Green in Dover's First State Heritage Park. Visitors can visit the eighteenth-century-style courtroom on the first floor, and the former chambers of the state legislature on the second floor. The most impressive architectural aspect of the Old State House is its grand dual staircase, also known as a geometrical staircase, that served as a portal of entry into the state legislative chambers.
The Johnson Victrola Museum
The Johnson Victrola Museum celebrates the life and career of Eldridge Reeves Johnson, the inventor of the victrola phonograph at the turn of the twentieth century. The museum has exhibits featuring numerous early phonographs, recordings, objects, memorabilia, and paintings which chronicle the development of the recording industry. In addition, the museum hosts programs, lectures, and other events about radio, the early sound-recording industry, music, and other related topics.
Eldridge Reeves Johnson was a native of Dover. While working at a machine shop in Camden, New Jersey, he was approached by Emile Berliner, the inventor of the gramophone and disc record, who asked Johnson to invent a motor that would play discs at a continuous speed, thus eliminating the need constantly to crank a gramophone by hand. By 1896, Johnson had invented the victrola phonograph, and with Berliner's patents, along with his own, he founded the Victor Talking Machine Company in 1901. Within a few years, the company was the world's largest producer of victrola phonographs and electrified credenza units which brought about a boom in and revolutionized the recording industry. Johnson retired in 1927, and in 1929 he sold the company to the Radio Corporation of America (RCA), which was then renamed RCA Victor.
A painting of a mixed fox/bull terrier, named Nipper, looking into a phonograph, and entitled His Master's Voice, is an iconic symbol of the Victor Talking Machine Company, as well as RCA Victor. Nipper was a real dog in England who like to chase rats and listen to music. The painting was made in 1899, and Johnson acquired the rights to it in 1901.
For his important contribution to the birth of the recording industry, Johnson was posthumously awarded a Grammy Award in 1985. The Grammy Award is one of the most important and cherished displays in the Johnson Victrola Museum today.
The Fisher-Martin House
The historic Fisher-Martin House originally served as a farmhouse on a nearby farm. It was moved to Lewes in 1980 as part of the town's 350th anniversary celebrations, which were held a year later, in 1981. Nowadays, the building houses the Lewes Chamber of Commerce and the Visitors Bureau and Information Center. In 1984, the Fisher-Martin Herb Garden was planted on the grounds of the house, and features medicinal, cullinary, and various other types of herbs.
The Fisher-Martin house was constructed around 1730 in the Dutch colonial style, and features a gambrel roof. At that time, it was the main house of a 516-acre (209-hectare) farm that had been sold to Thomas Fisher in 1685. His son, Joshua Fisher, inherited the farm in 1736. Joshua Fisher was born in Lewes and eventually went on to be a prosperous Philadelphia merchant and mapmaker. He established the first merchant packet line between Philadelphia and London, and made the first nautical charts of Delaware Bay and the Delaware River. In 1736, Joshua Fisher sold the farm to the Reverend James Martin, the minister of the Lewes Presbyterian Church. His descendants held the property for the next two centuries.
The Biggs Museum of American Art
The Biggs Museum of American Art was established in 1993 to display the art collection of its founder, Delaware businessman and entrepreneur, Sewell C. Biggs. The permanent collection of artwork featured in the museum originates mainly from local artists living on the Delmarva Peninsula and in the Delaware River Valley. The collection includes paintings, scupltures, furniture by early cabinet makers, and one of the finest collections of silverware in the country.
The museum's 1,800-piece collection is displayed in 18 galleries arranged to emphasize the evolution of mid-Atlantic fine and decorative arts from the early 1700s to the present. The colonial, Revolutionary, Victorian, and modern eras are well represented.
The paintings include pieces from different schools of painting prevalent in the Delaware region, including the Arden, Rehoboth Beach, and Brandywine schools, as well as Bucks County impressionists and Hudson River landscapes.
In addition to its permanent collection, the Biggs Museum of Modern Art features changing exhibitions throughout the year. It also offers educational programs in art for adults and children.
The John Dickenson Plantation
The John Dickenson Plantation was the boyhood home and sometime residence of John Dickenson, one of the Founding Fathers of the United States and a leader during the American Revolutionary War. The plantation consists of the main house, called Poplar Hall (pictured here), as well as reconstructed farm buildings, a log cabin, and agricultural fields. Guided tours of the plantation are conducted by people in period costumes who depict characters from the era. The tours are designed to show the lifestyle of wealthy plantation owners in the 1700s and how that contrasted with the lives of poor whites, tenants, slaves, and free blacks.
Poplar Hall was constructed between 1739 and 1740 by Judge Samuel Dickenson, the father of John Dickenson. The house was built in the Early Georgian style of architecture, and was the main house of the 13,000-acre (5,261-hectare) plantation. Wings were added in 1752 and 1754. During the American Revolutionary War, a British attack left the house severely damaged, and it was almost completely destroyed by a fire in 1804.
John Dickenson lived in the house and on the plantation during his boyhood. During his adulthood, he spent most of his time in Wilmington, Delaware and Philadephia, Pennsylvania, but he did live in the house between 1776 and 1777, and again from 1781 to 1782. John Dickenson was a lawyer and polititian who served in the Continental Congress on behalf of Delaware and Pennsylvania, was a delegate to the United States Constitutional Convention of 1787, and served as president of both Delaware and Pennsylvania.
The John Dickenson Plantation has been designated as a National Historic Landmark.
Winterthur Museum and Gardens
This collection of American arts and antiques was assembled by Henry Francis DuPont. The Galleries at Winterthur show 1,000 of the museum's pieces on two floors. Tours are self guided. You can purchase an "Estate Passport" and wander through the 175 period rooms.Related to:
- Museum Visits
You should always visit the fairs in delware around july like Delware state fair its great for kids and adults that want to just get out I myself and kids might be going this year I think its ussally around July 24th to the 30th or so. It doesnt cost much to get in.
on the last nite they usally have fireworks! which is exciting event too.
Also in delware they have an area called rehobeth beach its nice beach like Ocaen city in MD they ahe board walks that stretch miles away and shops and suvnoirs too on the boar walk. and Rides and games for children fun things to do for kids and adults.Related to:
- Family Travel
- Theme Park Trips
its called Rehobeth beach its a very fun places for adults and kids has rides there for children and Adults games etc. water rides its alot like oceancity if you ever been has hotels by the beach. its about 45 min from dover DElRelated to:
- Theme Park Trips
They have a quaint little...
They have a quaint little boardwalk.
Right next to the beach but easier to walk on. Shops and places to eat.
I HAVE BEEN VISITING DOVER DOWNS CASINO FOR MANY YEARS NOW BUT WHAT HAPPENED TO ME THIS PAST...more
350 Rocky Run Parkway, Wilmington, DE 19803
Good for: Couples
In my many years of staying at hotels all over the country and all over the world, I have never been...more
Top Delaware Hotels
- Rehoboth Beach Hotels
- 122 Reviews - 167 Photos
- Newark Hotels
- 52 Reviews - 52 Photos
- Dover Hotels
- 151 Reviews - 352 Photos
- Bear Hotels
- 11 Reviews - 26 Photos
- Bethany Beach Hotels
- 46 Reviews - 90 Photos
- Lewes Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 66 Photos
- Wilmington Hotels
- 138 Reviews - 176 Photos
- Winterthur Hotels
- 25 Reviews - 59 Photos
- Broadkill Beach Hotels
- 1 Review - 1 Photo
- Dewey Beach Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 106 Photos
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 60% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
Explore the World
- Gonubie Hotels
- Sanad Hotels
- Kaiserslautern Hotels
- Udine Hotels