Trap Pond State Park Travel Guide

Lone view of the pond

Trap Pond State Park Things to Do

Trap Pond State Park

by PinkFloydActuary Written Jul 10, 2010

Perhaps the best thing to do is to park by the Boat Launch, and then walk the paved trail between the boat launch area and the main entrance. The hike is short and easy, and you'll actually get to see the pond, as well as a few of the Cypress trees. We did not see any fish or other wildlife. When we visited, the cost to enter the park was $6 for the car. While we got to get out and stretch our feet, I was hoping for a little more than what I got from Trap Pond.

Lone view of the pond

by PinkFloydActuary Written Jul 10, 2010

The map promises the trail "meanders through mixed forest and along ponds edge", which was appealing, since we wanted to see the trees in the pond. It starts off promising, with a few of the pond from the campground. Unfortunately, you quickly end up in the forest, unable to see the pond or the Cypress trees. Much like the Island Trail, we ended up on an unnamed trail and found ourselves back in the middle of a frisbee golf course near the parking lot! While the forest walks were nice, I was hoping for some views of the pond. The full trail is only 1 mile long of packed earth. Again, a disappointment.

Traversing the Island Trail

by PinkFloydActuary Updated Jul 10, 2010

This trail can be found near the Nature Center beyond the main entrance to the park. We drove to the furthest lot, and were the only car there (later realized the Nature Center was under construction.) The trailhead was easy enough to find, a large snake greeted us as we started. The trail crosses the Loblolly trail about halfway through, and there also is an unnamed trail that connects the two about 1/3 of the way in. The trail is only a little over a half mile, but we bailed at the unnamed trail and took Loblolly back, because the Island trail was difficult to follow, and I was getting concerned we would end up on the wrong trail and head out much further than I wanted. This was an issue with both trails we did - very poor markings and signs. On top of that, most of it was just forest - no real sightlines to the pond (despite the fact that the map says it meanders along the ponds edge.) In the end, I didn't feel this was worth it.

Instant Answers: Trap Pond State Park

Comments

Trap Pond State Park Travel Guide
Map of Trap Pond State Park