Cocoa Transportation

Car parked in front of the coffee house
  • Bridge and edge of marina on the Indian River
    Bridge and edge of marina on the Indian...
    Horse waiting for passengers

Best Rated Transportation in Cocoa

Horse Drawn Carriage

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Horse waiting for passengers

We did take the City Tour for $6.00 instead of the the Riverside Tour for $15.00. There's another picture of the full carriage on the Intro page. This lady brings her black Percheron gelding Thunder, her carriage and one of her Jack Russell terriers, and gives carriage rides for the benefit of a Horse Sisters - a rescue and handicapped riding group.

From their website:
    Allow us to introduce you to the Ambassador for HorseSisters -
    Thunder, the Percheron gelding...

I was born O. LA-JO'S SILVER ROCKET (but somewhere along the line, Rocky became Thunder), May 20, 1994 in Bremen, Indiana. I came to Ocala Florida with a draft farrier as a 10 month old. From there, I became a carriage horse in Brevard County's historic Cocoa Village. HorseSisters acquired me in January of 2000 and from what Mom says, she is keeping me forever. I do hop right into the trailer when she comes for me as I love to pull the carriages and hay wagons.
    Yes, we go all over the state of Florida, doing parades, festivals, carriage and driving events, shows and private parties and weddings, but my favorite thing to do is love the children. You can find me giving rides at local parks, the MDA camp, foster care parties and just October 11, 2003, the Down Syndrome Society's first fundraiser and other disability related events. No telling WHO has treats for me...
    At home when I should be resting, Mom has me doing Dressage with that tiny little black saddle and takes me to horse shows in Western duds, and rides me on the Florida trails and the pristine beaches. Folks seem to love me and that is great with me because I love everyone !

• Horse Riding
    • Sailing and Boating

On the Indian River

by grandmaR Updated Sep 29, 2004

Bridge and edge of marina on the Indian River

We visited Cocoa on our own boat, and the Indian River is an excellent place to have a sailboat. It has been that way since the area was settled.

Excerpt from the "Golden Era of Steam boating on the Indian River 1877-1900" by Fred Hopwood available at the Tebeau Library Gift Shop:

...Why Captain T. J. Lund decided to bring the steamboat Pioneer to the Indian River remains a mystery. Only two hundred and fifty persons lived between Eau Gallie and Key West in the late 1980’s. Since most of these individuals lived on the Indian River and because very few businesses required large cargo carriers, most of the travel and trade was carried out by sailboat. Indeed, most residents of the Indian river area owned a sailboat, and men, women, and young children quickly learned to skillfully sail the clear waters of the lagoon.

Life along the lagoon was best described as bucolic. Subsistence farming, hunting and fishing, cattle ranching, lumbering, and the cultivation and harvesting of citrus crops dominated the local economy. Few manufacturing concerns existed south of Titusville. With the arrival of the Pioneer, however, changes were inevitable.

During the Civil War, the Pioneer made runs up and down the St. Johns River form Jacksonville to Enterprise. In the early 1870’s she was purchased by the Lund-Pioneer Steamboat company and put into service on a route from Jacksonville to Salt Lake Landing, about eight miles west of Titusville. Passengers and freight were transported from Salt Lake Landing to Titusville aboard the rickety cars of the Jacksonville, Tampa and Key West Railroad..

• Sailing and Boating
    • Water Sports
    • Cruise

Walk

by grandmaR Updated Sep 29, 2004

Car parked in front of the coffee house

The main downtown area of the old village is made for walking and not for cars. The sidewalks are all nice brick. I'm not sure whether this car was giving rides or what. It was an late closing Saturday night, and he was parked opposite the carriage ride station.

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Cocoa

Comments

Cocoa Transportation

Reviews and photos of Cocoa transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cocoa sightseeing.