Cocoa Beach Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Cocoa Beach

• Dabs's Profile Photo

I Dream of Jeannie

by Dabs Written Nov 19, 2006

Favorite thing: "I Dream of Jeannie", a sitcom that ran from 1965-1970 and then in syndication, was set in Cocoa Beach Florida, Jeannie's master, Major Nelson, was a NASA astronaut. We all think VTs very own emom, Stephanie, looks just like Barbara Eden who played Jeannie on the show so Patty snapped this photo in a local gift shop.

As we were driving north from Cocoa Beach, I saw a street sign that said "I Dream of Jeannie Lane" and Cocoa Beach held a "We Dream of Jeannie Festival" in 2005 but otherwise they don't seem to be capitalizing on the popularity of the show.

Jeannie?  Or emom Stephanie?

• SpaceCoastMomma's Profile Photo

Relocating to the Space Coast?

by SpaceCoastMomma Written Sep 28, 2006

Favorite thing: If you buy a home & relocate out here, there are some things we've discovered which ight prove useful to you:

Yard maintenance ~ Yard service is a dime a dozen and everyone has their yards cut every week. Things grow like crazy out here, so don't be surprised if your trees & bushes are overgrown in a very short period of time. For the really big jobs, like Palm or Live Oak tree-trimming, I recommend going with a reputable company, as opposed to one of the many crews that will just knock on your door. You want someone that knows what they're doing and is insured & licensed. If you need tree-trimming, I recommend Majestic Tree Surgeon, 321-403-3999. They are affordable, reliable and professional.

Pool Service ~ Again, a dime a dozen. If you've never owned a pool (we didn't) you will quickly learn that a pool must be maintained with chemicals every week.

Culture ~ Say goodbye to big city life and all of the museums & galleries you might be used to. Instead, attend a local festival for a little bit of color.

Baby Stores ~ Nearest big baby store in about an hour away, in Orlando. Get used to ordering maternity, nursing & baby gear online. Or Target is a great option, although they have no nursing attire.

Housing Market ~ Expensive out here, compared to Houston. If you live on water, double the price and know that you'l also get half the square footage. And little to no storage. Most places outside of Cocoa are "planned communities." We opted for the 'burbs, the first time in our lives.

Early Bird Specials ~ Every restaurant has early-bird specials and, if you have children, this is the best time to go.

• cobrioc's Profile Photo

SPACE COAST , Cocoa, Cocoa Beach, Melbourne

by cobrioc Updated Mar 27, 2006

Favorite thing: Brevard Zoo isn't your average zoo. Raised bordwalks carry visitors through thick canopies of trees.
    The zoo is divided into three distictive zones.
    Native Florida, Latin America and Australia.
    The Native Florida area features white-tailed deer, waterfowl,aquatic turtles, wild turkeys,bobcats, red foxes, river otters and bald eagles. Tha Latin America exhibit is home home to a panther,porcupines, igunas,a giant anteater named Hoover after the vacuum, of course,a Ilama, tortoises, and two Baird's tapirs named Pee Wee and Josephine, the latter who enjoys strawberry slushy shakes.In the Australia section,you'll find emus, wallabies,cockatoos and kangaroos.Domesticated animals are ready to greet you.Don't worry if one perches on your shoulder or arm,they're just wanting to get know you a little better.

Fondest memory: Kayak Adventures, Tours/hand feeding petting zoo

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

A place to rinse off!

by tpangelinan Written Mar 5, 2006

Favorite thing: Cocoa Beach provides a place for you to rinse off after being in the ocean all day. At this pavillion they set shower head all over, also ones to rinse just your feet. Now lets not get crazy here people, these are a keep your clothes on kind of shower, just so we're clear!

Take a shower after the beach
    • Singles
    • Eco-Tourism

Flock of Pelicans

by DUNK67 Updated Aug 8, 2004

Fondest memory: In England I am used to seeing flocks of seagulls at the beach, but to see a flock of pelicans flying overhead is something else . They resembled something out of prehistoric times, like Jurassic Park.

Cocoa Beach

Bodyboarding

by DUNK67 Updated Aug 8, 2004

Fondest memory: Being a little uncomfortable with being in water that I cannot see the bottom of we went body boarding. I paddled for ages to get about 100metres out to get back into the beach in seconds. After 2 or 3 attempts at this I fell off, panicking a little bit to get back on the board I somehow managed to stand up. The water was only thigh deep, you can imagine how stupid I felt , I could have walked out quicker. Mind you I did touch a rather large fish at one point which worried me a little bit.

Surfer Dude
    • Surfing

Beachcombing

by DUNK67 Updated Aug 8, 2004

Fondest memory: Coming from England I am used to all sorts of things being washed up on the beach, none of them very nice. To my surprise I found a whole coconut which was quite exotic, however a few weeks later part of the crashed Space Shuttle was washed up on Cocoa Beach, now that would have been a find albeit a gruesome one. I would have loved to have seen the face on the customs officers face when I tried to take it home.

Surfs Up

• lagoonr's Profile Photo

Growing up in Cocoa Beach I...

by lagoonr Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Growing up in Cocoa Beach I remember fishing with my father in the Banana and Indian River lagoon for giant redfish and trout. I still go fishing often, if you are looking to fish, go to www.lagooner.com for more information.
    Alma's Italian Restaurant is a great family owned restaurant and so is Grills at Cape Canaveral.

Fondest memory: Everytime I come home from a trip I realize how much I miss the water here. The lagoons are beautiful, tranquil and full of fish.

• Fishing

Instant Answers: Cocoa Beach

Comments

Cocoa Beach Favorites

Reviews and photos of Cocoa Beach favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cocoa Beach sightseeing.