De Land Off The Beaten Path

  • Athens Theatre in 1970 from their website
    Athens Theatre in 1970 from their...
    by grandmaR
  • Top facade from the car
    Top facade from the car
    by grandmaR
  • Facade of the Athens Theatre at 124 Florida Avenue
    Facade of the Athens Theatre at 124...
    by grandmaR

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in De Land

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Walking Tour Historic Downtown -110-112 W.Indiana

    by grandmaR Updated May 4, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    West Indiana Avenue

    Closest too us, 112 West Indiana Ave. is a former title insurance company.

    110 West Indiana is the Federal style building which has the eagle motif over the windows. The first story was built in 1905, and the second story was added 19 years later. The original deed was recorded in 1902 by the law partnership of Cary D. Landis and Bert Fish. It is believed that their partnership is the oldest law firm still in existence in the state of Florida.

    The main facade has a Romanesque entrance straddled by two windows that repeat the decorative motive and fanlight that is over the entry. The dentiled cornice (interrupted by the short gable with the eagle) runs across the front facade.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Budget Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Walking Tour Historic Downtown - Athens Theatre

    by grandmaR Updated May 4, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Facade of the Athens Theatre at 124 Florida Avenue
    2 more images

    We parked the car on Florida and walked up to Woodland to take a photo of the mural on the side of the building at Woodland and Rich. We parked near this theatre at 124 North Florida. It was designed by prominent Orlando architect Murry S. King. It opened in 1922 as a vaudeville house. It has recently been under renovation by a local organization. The outside is pretty much finished (and they are apparently renting space on the marquee for advertising), but the interior will probably take longer.

    In the next block south is the City Hall (at 120 South Florida) which was built in 1921. Originally, the basement was the police department, the City Hall was the north end and the fire department was the south end. The firemen lived on the 2nd floor. Now the police and fire departments share a building south of the City Hall.

    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Architecture
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Walking Tour Historic Downtown - 200 N. Woodland

    by grandmaR Written Jan 16, 2005
    200 N. Woodland Blvd

    200 N. Woodland was built as a 1.5 store building in 1892. The street level was the home of the Codrington News. In 1897, the building was raised another story and the DeLand Opera House was upstairs. It is now Paul Hunter’s Restaurant. The sidewalk signs are pointing to "Just Olde Stuff" (antiques and collectibles) and "Thomas Trains"

    Past the restaurant looking up the street are 202 N. Woodland which was build in 1910 and was Bauman’s Feed Store ("The Farmer’s Supply Store" - just phone 245 and the Bauman brothers were at your service) which stocked fee, grain, hay, fertilizer and insecticides.

    204 N. Woodland was the neighborhood "Five and Dime" store.

    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Architecture
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Walking Tour Historic Downtown-145-146 N. Woodland

    by grandmaR Written Jan 16, 2005
    Woodland Blvd looking south from Rich

    Shows the whole block of North Woodland from Rich Ave looking south. On the extreme right with the yellow awning is 146 North Woodland. This building is pictured but not described in the walking tour booklet. (DeLand: A Walk Through Time) which I picked up at the Deland House Museum. On the extreme right is 145 North Woodland.

    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Walking Tour Historic Downtown 145-143 N. Woodland

    by grandmaR Written Jan 16, 2005

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Corner of Rich and Woodland

    On the right, 143 North Woodland was built in 1906, and was an automobile garage. It is now home of a photography studio. It is constructed in simple masonry vernacular with a large display window (on the extreme right and out of sight) and awnings. The exterior has a simple cornice on the top of the building.

    On the left, 145 North Woodland is the J. G. Michaelos Building. It was constructed at the same time as its neighbor (1906) and was the former home of Marshe’s Meat Market. The awning has "Yesterday’s Restaurant" in faded out letters, but it now houses the library.

    This building is on the corner of Rich Street and to the right of it is a small park. On the Rich street side of the building is the transportation mural.

    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Walking Tour Historic Downtown-131-145 N Woodland

    by grandmaR Written Jan 16, 2005

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Looking toward 145 N. Woodland St.

    On the right side of this picture is 131-133 North Woodland, which is a simple masonry vernacular style. It has large display windows and awnings and a simple cornice along the top of the building. In 1925, the DeLand Piano & Music Company was in this location, and it is now the Golf Shop. It has green awnings much like those at 129 North Woodland which is next door (to the right in another photo).

    In the middle, the building with the maroon awnings and white filigree awning is 141 North Woodland. To the left is 143 Woodland with the green awning, and to the right of it is 139 North Woodland which is the former site of the Princess Theatre, which was built in 1921. It was owned by Howard Stewart and Tom Hays.

    The building with the plain white front was constructed in 1915 and has had the details of the second story hidden. The ground floor is brick. This is probably 139 at the left side and 135-137 North Woodland on the right side. Number 135 was the location of Watts Hardware. Not only could customers could purchase hardware or get their jewelry or watches fixed, but an invitation was extended to get "glasses and speck frames adjusted free" with a guarantee

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Budget Travel
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Walking Tour Historic Downtown-130-142 N.Woodland

    by grandmaR Written Jan 16, 2005

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    West side of Woodland Blvd.

    The six buildings on the west side of Woodland Blvd do not have detailed identifications in the walking tour except that they all were constructed in the masonry vernacular style and were built in 1897. They had the following tennants in 1925 (from left to right):

    130 - Barsony Pressing Club and Tailoring
    132 - The Sugar Bowl
    136 - Ceeley’s Smart Shop (women’s apparel)
    138 - Barr’s Dry Goods and Notions
    140 - The Sanitary Café
    142 - Woodalls Grocery

    The red building (#142) is now the Brickhouse Grill. It has been extensively renouvated since the booklet "A Walk Through Time" was produced. It looks like the formstone front has been removed and it has been repainted with the architectural features such as the circles on the store front emphasized. It is much more attractive now. To the right of this building is a patio area. #146 on the corner is not in this photo.

    Linda Lou’s Health Foods is at #140. In the photographic walking tour guide, this was Debbie’s Health Foods and is much the same in as in the booklet. It looks like the buildings with the aqua and gold fronts above the awnings have been altered at some point in the past - I can’t tell from the photo exactly what the addresses of these buildings are

    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Walking Tour Historic Downtown-121-101 N.Woodland

    by grandmaR Written Jan 16, 2005

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    East side of N Woodland Blvd. from Indiana Ave.

    Looking at the east side of Woodland from Indiana, the closest building to us in the yellowish brick is 121 North Woodland. It has a mission arch on the front. It now has a rare coin shop.

    119 North Woodland, with the green line along the second story and over the top of the windows was constructed in 1892 and was a saloon. The story goes that someone dropped a cigarette on the sawdust floor in 1886 which started the fire which destroyed most of downtown DeLand. Afterwards it was the home of Bracey’s Drug Store.

    117 North Woodland is the building with the green awning. Next are the buildings at 115 and 113. 113 is a one story building which was the home of Brill’s Novelty Shop (items for sale included post cards). Mr. T. Brill would stand outside his shop to great customers.

    111 North Woodland was the former site of Doc Simmons Liquor Store which was built in 1927. He promised to leave you in good spirits, or at least as good as you could afford. The two story building with green awnings top and bottom is 109 to 103 North Woodland.

    The tall brick building down on the corner is 101 North Woodland and was the First National Bank. It was DeLand’s first skyscraper. It had decorative columns and pilasters surrounding the entryway. The bank declared bankruptcy in 1929 at the time of the stock market crash.

    During the depression, and unknown man and his female companion had an interesting way to earn money. As a "human fly", he would climb the building side and disappear somewhere near the top. His companion would then collect money from the crowd.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Budget Travel
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Walking Tour Historic Downtown-Courthouse 126 N.IN

    by grandmaR Written Jan 16, 2005

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    1929 Volusia Co. Courthouse at 126 N. Indiana Ave
    1 more image

    From where we parked on Florida, we walked down Indiana Avenue (most of the streets were named for the states that the early settlers came from) past the courthouse to Woodland which is the main street through town.

    In 1888, Volusia County made DeLand the county seat. This building replaced the original courthouse in 1929. Three thousand people attended the dedication of this 60,000 square foot structure with its Corinthian columns of pink Georgia marble, and vergris copper dome.

    An additional county administration building of a later date has been built at the corner of Florida and Indiana, and on Rich Avenue.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Road Trip
    • Business Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Walking Tour Historic Downtown - 111-105 W Indiana

    by grandmaR Updated Jan 16, 2005

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    111 West Indiana

    Built in 1875, 111 and 109 with the white balconies that are the closest to you in the photo are the oldest commercial buildings in the downtown district. They survived the 1886 fire with minor damage. In the photo you can’t see the decorative corbelled frieze along the south parapet of the flat roof., but you can just see a little bit of the segemental brick arches with keystones that cap the second story windows. The two-story, two-bay white porch extends to the street and offers protection to customers and merchandise.

    The door labeled 111A is probably the stairway access to the upstairs premises. The downstairs area is occupied by an antique store.

    In 1907, these premises were occupied by the real estate and insurance offices of brothers Harold and V. Ward Gould. One of the Goulds was one of the first to use a car for business purposes - he had a single cylinder Cadillac. The novelty of riding in the car may even have drawn in extra business.

    Past the 111-109 building is 105 West Indiana with the green pillars supporting a flat roof over the sidewalk. This building, which was built in 1925 and was the former home of "The Old Curiosity Shop" which was owned by Edith Reeve and Grace Howard. Edith and Grace started into business together on their graduation from Stetson University. Their business was moved here from Woodland Blvd. It is now a tavern.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Budget Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Walking Tour Historic Downtown 129 N Woodland Blvd

    by grandmaR Written Jan 16, 2005

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    129 North Woodland Blvd

    Built in 1908 with a recessed store entry and plate glass display windows, this building was built for Victor Fountain by J. T. Cairns, and early DeLand settler and builder. Fountain paid $10,000 to Cairns to construct this building with classical influences, a flat roof and a decorative cornice along the front of the building. Fountain ran advertisements to entice customers to come and see the newest ideas in fall and winter woolens.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Budget Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Walking Tour Historic Downtown 100 N Woodland Blvd

    by grandmaR Written Jan 16, 2005

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Top facade from the car

    This building was constructed in 1887 and was one of the first brick commericial buildings constructed after the fire. It has a gabled roof.

    Charles Miller, an early settler operated a drygoods or hardware store. Miller also sold feed and seed and served as the Clyde Line Steamship Company's agent with an office in the rear of the building. In 1925, Bert Fish, attorney and politician bought the building from Miller for $150,000.00

    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: De Land

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

93 travelers online now

Comments

De Land Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of De Land off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for De Land sightseeing.

View all De Land hotels