Englewood Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Englewood

Picnic on the beach

by easterntrekker Written Mar 10, 2014

It's hard to beat the beaches in Florida. I especially love the beach around Stump Pass. There are lots of little private spots to stop and have a picnic.its like going bake in time here...quiet a a taste of Old Florida.

• Diving and Snorkeling

Placida Seafood Festival

by easterntrekker Written Mar 21, 2009

Festaval's are a part of weekend life in Florida...not a bad thing . They're always a bit of fun . This one in Placida was sponsered my the Rotary and was lots of fun . Good seafood was everywhere and lots of craft stalls selling everything from T Shirts to antiques.

• Festivals

Florida Turtle

by easterntrekker Written Mar 20, 2009

I think one of the reasons I enjoy golfing here so much is for the wildlife . I always especially enjoy seeing turtles and we spotted this little guying the late day March sun last week . I think he is a Red-bellied turtle but I might be wrong .

See A Space Launch

by easterntrekker Written Mar 16, 2009

We were so excited to beable to see the Space Shuttle Discovery STS-119 high in the sky over our heads ! We are a good 4 hour drive from the launch pad so it was a real treat that we actually caught is site of it. Last we we drove to Cocoa Beach to see it up close and were disappointed when it was delayed, so this was a special treat. In front of the line of pink smoke we could see what looked like a star , just ahead of it as it trailed upward . Within minutes the smoke disappeared and a snow white cloud appearred. We thought that might have been when they left our atmosphere. Such an amazing thing!!

• Study Abroad

See the osprey nests

by easterntrekker Written Mar 9, 2009

We love to watch the osprey as we don't see them in Nova Scotia . The Osprey , which is sometimes called the sea Hawk eat fish and build their big nests high in bare trees in plain view. Here's is a picture of one just leavinng their nest.

• National/State Park

The Palms - Golf

by easterntrekker Updated Mar 9, 2009

We played 18 holes here . It's a fabulous . It's a Par 72 with lots of challenge. ( Including the sand trap, with me in it in the picture. For the most part its pretty wide open though. After 2PM twilight rates kick in and you can play 18 for $25.00 including a cart. Hard to beat!

• Business Travel
    • Golf

Tree Swallows

by easterntrekker Written Feb 27, 2009

If you see a dark cloud of many birds , maybe hundreds overhead, don't be allarmed they are Tree Swallows . Like many of us they like to winter in Florida.
    The picture was taken in our backyard one early January morning.

Florida Blue Heron

by easterntrekker Written Sep 24, 2008

The great blue heron lives in and around salt and freshwater environments. For me they are always a treat to see. The one in the picture was patiently waiting for dinner at the canal near where we live

Alligators

by easterntrekker Written Sep 23, 2008

We see lots of alligators in Florida. Some of the largest we saw were along the water filled ditches as we drove into Big Cypress Reservation . We were heading to the Swamo Tour but honestly we considered just looking in tne ditches instead.

Go on a Swamp Tour

by easterntrekker Written Sep 23, 2008

There are lots of great day trips you can take from here. One of our favorites was the Swamp Tour . Its a whole day but well worth the 6 hour return trip. We went to the Big Cypress Reservation of the Seminole Tribe . It was great . They take you out in an airboat and stop in the swamp and feed the allogators . At one point we were actually surrounded . They have an informative display about Florida snakes as well .There is also a lovely boardwalk nature trail, with a chance to see lots of birds etc. We also took a swamp buggy tour too.
    Adults $49.00

• Water Sports

Golf Oyster Creek

by easterntrekker Updated Sep 22, 2008

There are tons of golf courses to choose around Englewood and Oyster Creek is one of our favorites .Ten out of the eighteen holes are parallel to water hazards or have a water hazard in front view and as we discovered its best to let your ball stay in the water trap as the alligators love it here!!
    The rates are reasonable Spring /summer rates are ( including a cart)18 Holes Riding after 12:00 - $20.00
    9 Holes 7am - 3pm - $13.50

I think we were paying $19.00 for 9 holes after 4PM in the winter.

• Golf
    • Business Travel

Hunt for Shells

by easterntrekker Written Sep 22, 2008

If you tire of looking for fossilized shark's teeth on the beach you can always look for shell's . There so many beautiful shell's , lovely soft pastel colours. I noticed ome people looking for just the white ones , or only mauve....I'm not a huge craft person so I can only imagine what they might use them for . I ended up with a huge back that are still in my garage at home!!!

I think when I return I'll go for getting a really good picture of them that I can frame .

Boating

by easterntrekker Updated Sep 16, 2008

We rented a boat a couple of times and spent the day out on the water. It's a fabulous area to boat in . Lemon Bay is the home of Englewood. The barrier islands of Manasota Key and Knight Island separate the bay from the Gulf of Mexico. The Intracoastal Waterway passes through the center of Lemon Bay. We often saw dolphin , and lots of sea birds of course. We took a picnic , our grand kids and our dog. We could nose the boat right up to little secluded beaches for a swim .Its the stuff memories are made of .

• Sailing and Boating
    • Water Sports

Fishing at Stump Pass Park

by easterntrekker Updated Sep 15, 2008

We saw lots of people fishing along the shore. Catches can yield catches of flounder, snook, trout, redfish, snapper, whiting, sheepshead and tarpon. Remember to get a license.

We got a kick out of the heron waiting for the catch!!!

Park fee is $2.00

• Fishing

Stump Pass Beach State Park

by easterntrekker Written Sep 15, 2008

We love this beach park . It has a mile long white sand beach on a stretch of undeveloped Florida coastline. We take the hiking trail and enjoy seeing many species of wildlife, snowy egrets, least terns, and magnificent frigatebirds. Its wonderful to take a swim in peaceful seclusion!!

8 a.m. until sundown 365 days a year.

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Englewood

Comments

Englewood Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Englewood things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Englewood sightseeing.