Englewood Travel Guide

• Things to Do
  • Englewood

Englewood Things to Do

• Picnic on the beach

It's hard to beat the beaches in Florida. I especially love the beach around Stump Pass. There are lots of little private spots to stop and have a picnic.its like going bake in time here...quiet a a taste of Old Florida.

• Ski Alley

This channel is popular with day trippers. It is a nice channel that runs along Stump pass Park.it gets pretty busy during the day but all was quite when we strolled by in early morning.

• Huge shark's Teeth

I'm fascinated with the fossilized shark's teeth we find here . Take a look at these huge teeth we saw at the Seafood Festival in Placida. Can you imagine how big these fish were!!

• Placida Seafood Festival

Festaval's are a part of weekend life in Florida...not a bad thing . They're always a bit of fun . This one in Placida was sponsered my the Rotary and was lots of fun . Good seafood was everywhere and lots of craft stalls selling everything from T Shirts to antiques.

• Florida Turtle

I think one of the reasons I enjoy golfing here so much is for the wildlife . I always especially enjoy seeing turtles and we spotted this little guying the late day March sun last week . I think he is a Red-bellied turtle but I might be wrong .

• See A Space Launch

We were so excited to beable to see the Space Shuttle Discovery STS-119 high in the sky over our heads ! We are a good 4 hour drive from the launch pad so it was a real treat that we actually caught is site of it. Last we we drove to Cocoa Beach to see it up close and were disappointed when it was delayed, so this was a special treat. In front of...

• Osprey hunt

Here is a picture of an osprey enjoying his fish lunch . If you like to bird watch , they put on a good show.

• See the osprey nests

We love to watch the osprey as we don't see them in Nova Scotia . The Osprey , which is sometimes called the sea Hawk eat fish and build their big nests high in bare trees in plain view. Here's is a picture of one just leavinng their nest.

• Cactus

On our walk in Stump's Pass park we spotted thhis cactus blooming . I've noticed these cactus around the area many times but it's the first one I saw in bloom . I thought it was quite lovely!

• The Palms - Golf

We played 18 holes here . It's a fabulous . It's a Par 72 with lots of challenge. ( Including the sand trap, with me in it in the picture. For the most part its pretty wide open though. After 2PM twilight rates kick in and you can play 18 for $25.00 including a cart. Hard to beat!

• Tree Swallows

If you see a dark cloud of many birds , maybe hundreds overhead, don't be allarmed they are Tree Swallows . Like many of us they like to winter in Florida.The picture was taken in our backyard one early January morning.

• Florida Blue Heron

The great blue heron lives in and around salt and freshwater environments. For me they are always a treat to see. The one in the picture was patiently waiting for dinner at the canal near where we live

• Alligators

We see lots of alligators in Florida. Some of the largest we saw were along the water filled ditches as we drove into Big Cypress Reservation . We were heading to the Swamo Tour but honestly we considered just looking in tne ditches instead.

• Snake Show

As part of the Seminole Tour we saw a wonderful and very informative snake show.We saw rattlesnakes, copperhead snakes, cotton mouth snakes and the colorful coral snake s, to name a few.

• Go on a Swamp Tour

There are lots of great day trips you can take from here. One of our favorites was the Swamp Tour . Its a whole day but well worth the 6 hour return trip. We went to the Big Cypress Reservation of the Seminole Tribe . It was great . They take you out in an airboat and stop in the swamp and feed the allogators . At one point we were actually...

Englewood Hotels

Englewood Restaurants

• Great Italian Food on the Cheap!

Situated right on South MacCall, this place is an old Englewood landmark and for good reason. The food is wonderful , plentiful and cheap. My husband had lasagne and I had linguine with clam sauce, both were served with garlic bread and side salads . Including a glass of wine each our bill was $24.00!! We'll be back.

• Good Food and Music on the weekend

This is a new restaurant that is right on the Marina in Placida . The food is really good .Three of us tried and we all loved our food. ON Fri, Sat and Sun evenings they have live music in the out door seating area. Not fancy but a good choice for a bit of fun and good food. I had the crab cake platter . Lots of crab and at $11.95 a big meal for...

• A fun vacation atmosphere

We tried this place one Sat night with our friends. I was a little disappointed with the menu which is just wraps and crepes , but the atmosphere was fun . They had live musician from Argentia and he kept the place hopping , playing a nice selection of music.It's only open for dinner on the weekends and otherwise is a lunch place. The steak and...

• And there is music

This is a little casual bar/restuarant . It's a good place to drop in for a quick bite , but its best to stick with basic bar fare. They have entertainment on Friday and Sat night.

• The Salad Bar is included

Everytitime we pass this place it's always full . So we finally got around to trying it . It's a very cozy and friendly place. Not fancy at all though. We were greeted at the door by the owner. The food was very good and at a good . Price . I had the full rack of back ribs ( $14.95) which included the salad bar . The fish looked good too .

• A casual and friendly local favorite

We've been to this casual wharf like restaurant a couple of times and always walked away contented. The fish is fresh and good and the portions are big . We really loved the steamed oysters . They were the best . So was the blackened grouper.

• Greek, Seafood and Steaks and a Good...

Howards has good food at a very fair price. Their menu is very complete and there are daily specials. The unusual thing on the menu for the Englewood area is Greek food. I like to sample the specials at Howards. Tonights special was jambalaya with chicken, sausage and shrimp over rice. Very delicious and just $12.

• The newest restaurant is a british pub!

The BRAEMAR. British Pub offers a good selection of beer and a chance to try traditional British food. They have bangers and mashed, a great Lamb Shank and of course, fish and chips. Along with the food and beer, they had a live Zydeco band, as well. The Lamb Shank is really good. It is cooked in a mint sauce, unusual and great. The Guinness Pie...

• Best Ice-cream in the area

Everyone has ice-cream, but this little place in a non-descript strip mall has great ice-cream. Their prices are low and the portions are large. All of the ice-cream is made by them on-site. I like the mid size hot fudge sundae for it's size, 3 scoop, and lots of hot fudge, and nuts, and real cream. This it the way to make a sundae! For a special...

Englewood Nightlife

• by Captain7170 Written Jan 11, 2007

Calico Jacks is a laid back beach pub where locals and vacationers gather. There are pool tables, dart boards (soft & steel tip), and NTN interactive trivia where you can compete against everyone in the country. Weekend nights feature some of the best live bands around the area for dancing or just listening (mostly oldies and classic rock and blues).

Dress Code: Dress is casual -shirt and shoes required - no cover charge

• Singles
    • Music
    • Beer Tasting

Englewood Shopping

• ctorres1979's Profile Photo

by ctorres1979 Written Jan 11, 2008

Ok so I realize its not such a strange place to go but in case its your first time going to Englewood and you want to get alot of different things in one place, this is your spot to go.

Plus, its open 24 hours so if you come in on a late flight like we did you can still go and pick up whatever you need before going to bed

What to buy: They have rods, reels, bait,lures, the people working there even give you the info for how to get a permit

What to pay: around 25

Englewood Local Customs

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

by easterntrekker Written Mar 22, 2009

Even though there are many dog lovers in Englewood , our furry friends are not permitted on the beaches. Stump Pass Park however allows dogs on the trail that leads to the beach . Our dog doesn't seem to mind that his walk ends before the beach itself!

• Seniors
    • Travel with Pets

Englewood Warnings and Dangers

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

by easterntrekker Written Mar 9, 2009

When golfing , don't stick your hand in the water traps looking for your golf ball . There are lots of alligators. Just check out the picture below of the ones we saw resting on the banks.

• Golf
    • Business Travel

Instant Answers: Englewood

Comments

Explore Deeper into Englewood
Map of Englewood