Everglades National Park Restaurants

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Miccosukee Restaurant: Miccosukee Restaurant - Nothing Special

by TravellerMel Written Apr 19, 2012
    Miccosukee Restaurant

We were starving when we left the Shark Valley Park of the Everglades, and this place caught our eye. The building is shaped like a teepee, and it looked interesting. It took two passes to get a parking spot - it's a small parking lot, so that's not a surprise - and went inside. The inside is very "diner", which is OK. The prices were fair - I had the open-faced roast beef which was very tasty, and my husband had the BLT which he enjoyed. Soda is served by the can with a glass of ice - obviously, no free refills. Service was OK - the waiter was a little brusque, but the food came quickly and was satisfying.

If you aren't starving, I would probably go somewhere else. It wasn't bad, but it has the potential to be so much more.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Flamingo Lodge Restaurant: No Services Since the Hurricanes

by grandmaR Updated Oct 10, 2009

half roasted chicken dinner

This was the only real restaurant in the park. It has been closed since the disastrous hurricane season of 2005 (Wilma and Katrina). There was no overnight lodging, houseboat rentals or dining services available in 2007—08 winter season.

--------------------
    The restaurant overlooked Florida Bay, and one night we sat by the window and watched some trawlers come in to the marina and also the sunset cruises coming back. The menu had seafood, steak, chicken, vegetarian dishes, and local specialties (see below for what we ate).

I have no experience with the bar but I understand that it offers a Flamingo Sunset, a Rum Runner, and a Coco Loco whatever they are.

From November 1 to April 30, breakfast is served from 7 to 10 A.M., lunch from 11:30 A.M. to 3 P.M., and dinner from 5 to 9 P.M. We ate early, but by the time we were finished, people were waiting, so reservations might be a good idea.

From May to October, the restaurant and lounge are open for lunch and dinner from 11:30 A.M. to 8 P.M

Favorite Dish: The first night we had a waiter with an accent named Ivan. Bob got an appetizer and the soup of the day (beef noodle), and I got a cup of conch chowder and the beef stroganoff which was $9.95. The whole bill was $24.59 including the tip.

We had dinner in the restaurant again the second night, and this time we were going to try Max and Lucette's trick. I had a half roasted chicken dinner, and Bob had the coconut shrimp appetizer. He gave me two of the 6 shrimp, and I gave him the split pea soup-of-the-day (which I don't like but he loves), and half the chicken and half of the huge baked potato, and half of the asparagus with hollandaise (which is the vegetable of the day), and then we shared a piece of carrot cake. This came to $34.36 including tip.

The third night at dinner, I had caeser salad, and Bob had mahi mahi with sweet potato (which he shared) and various vegetables which he ate. The soup of the day was mulligatawny which was a cream soup and I ate that. We shared a chocolate fudge cake for dessert and the bill with tip came to $43.71

We obviously didn't save money, but it was fun.

• Beaches

• krotz's Profile Photo

Miccosukee Restaurant: Miccosukee Restaurant

by krotz Written May 11, 2008

Right across from the enterence to Shark Valley Visitor Centre is a restaurant that was pretty good....specialties are gator tail and frogs legs, but they have lots of different choices. All were good.

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

The Buttonwood Patio Cafe: Eat Outside By the Bay

by KimberlyAnn Updated Feb 23, 2008

Note: Discontinued Services at Flamingo Lodge & Marina (from damages caused by hurricanes in the fall of 2005) are listed below:
    Overnight Lodge & Cottage Accommodations
    Restaurant/Buttonwood Café and Lounges. It is recommended that you visit the Everglades National Park Website at nps.gov/ever or the National Park Service Planning Website at parkplanning.nps.gov for updates.

The Buttonwood Patio Café, which is enclosed by screening, sits on the Florida Bay where you can enjoy the tropical breezes while still sheltered from the elements. The Buttonwood offers a limited menu, featuring pizzas, sandwich wraps, and a full-service bar. On some Saturday nights during peak season live entertainment may be offered.

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

THE FLAMINGO RESTAURANT: Wonderful Food and a Great View

by KimberlyAnn Updated Feb 23, 2008

Overnight Lodge & Cottage Accommodations

The Flamingo Restaurant is open during the winter season 7 days a week. It overlooks the Florida Bay offering you a great view while you eat. Breakfasts offer a menu, or a breakfast buffet with all the fixings such as eggs, potatoes, French toast or pancakes, bacon, sausage, biscuits, gravy, danish, fruit, cereal, juice, milk, and coffee. This restaurant has plenty of seafood dishes ready for you to enjoy, including nightly specials as well as a children’s menu.
    If you fish, the restaurant offers Fish Service, where you bring in your own freshly caught fish and have it prepared either fried, baked, or blackened.

Favorite Dish: I love the restaurant’s signature appetizer - coconut fried shrimp served with an orange marmalade-horseradish sauce. Not to be missed! For lunch I really enjoyed the conch sandwich.

• GUYON's Profile Photo

Buttomwood Cafe: The gost restaurant

by GUYON Written Feb 12, 2008
    Sun,Mon,Tue,Wed,thu, Fri,Sat is closed

When we arrived at Flamigo, we hoped to lunch at this restaurant. Its web site was still active and our recent guide book still reviewed this restaurant.
    It was permanently closed after the destruction of the last hurricane. It was the same for the hotel (Flamingo Lodge) ; fortunately, our accomodation was not there.
    So we did as the other tourists did : we bought food at the souvenir store and we ate on an outdoor table.

• Seniors

• thebeatsurrender's Profile Photo

Gator Nuggets and Frogs Legs!

by thebeatsurrender Written Apr 22, 2007
    Please don't eat me!

I'm really into eating bizarre foods you can't get anywhere else, so my Everglades trip just had to include eating gator. Luckily, we found this great little restaurant right across US 41 from Shark Valley. It was Native American run and the menu had a nice little blurb in the front about the local tribe in the area. Besides the usual fare of burgers and sandwiches, they served the ultimate Everglades platter touted as a sampler plate of all the traditional and Everglades-specific foods. It consisted of gator nuggets, frogs legs, this donut/fried bread type thing that supposedly was a traditional staple, cole slaw, fries and some other stuff i can't remember. It was a humoungous platter. It really didnt taste great or anything, and I really can't say how "traditional" the food really was. I kinda get the impression that only other bizarre-food obsessed tourists like me would ever eat some of the things on the platter. But it was awesome nonetheless.

I did think the alligator I ate in the Amazon (Iquitos, Peru) was much better than the gator served here. The gator nuggets in the Everglades were rather gamey instead of meaty and chickeny like in Iquitos. But who knows what they really served me in Iquitos.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Buttonwood Patio: Casual Dining

by grandmaR Updated Aug 1, 2006

Sign at the visitor's center

Buttonwood Lounge and Cafe serves pizza, salads, and sandwiches. It is open from December to April. I have not eaten there. It was open from about 2 in the afternoon until evening when we were there.

Due to Hurricane Wilma in October 2005, the restaurant/Buttonwood Cage and Lounges: Closed indefinitely. No date for resumption of services.

• Combinedefx's Profile Photo

Flamingo Restaurant (?): dining on the tip

by Combinedefx Written Aug 5, 2003

At the Flamingo Visitors Area the upstairs restaurant provided a great respite from camp breakfasts. The buffet was great and not expensive. A nice but casual restaurant setting we also had one (overpriced) dinner of seafood and chicken. Good, but small servings.

Favorite Dish: Breakfast ready to scarf when we're tired at the end of a long camping trip.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

The Flamingo Restaurant,...

by richiecdisc Written Oct 15, 2002

The Flamingo Restaurant, Anglers Bar, and Buttonwood Patio Cafe.
    I love cooking out, but it can grow tiresome here when mozzies are swarming around you as you stir the pasta. Sometimes it's nice to break down and eat out. The Buttonwood Cafe offers a cheaper alternative to the Flamingo Restaurant and being screened in, respite from the mozzies too.

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Eating at and Near the Park

by Basaic Written Jun 12, 2010

Miccosukee Restaurant

There is food available at the Flamingo Marina and in nearby towns. I ate at the Miccosukee Restaurant just outside the entrance to Shark Valley. It was okay.

Instant Answers: Everglades National Park

Comments

Everglades National Park Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Everglades National Park restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Everglades National Park sightseeing.

View all Everglades National Park hotels