Everglades National Park Things to Do

Alligator - Everglades National Park
    by TravellerMel
    Just enough to make a watshstrap
    by GUYON
  • Things to Do
    by TravellerMel

Most Recent Things to Do in Everglades National Park

Robert Is Here Fruit Stand

by TravellerMel Written May 20, 2014

This was a neat stop on our way back from the Everglades... I had seen the sign for "Robert is Here", and saw lots of cars out front, and so was intrigued. When I saw the sign advertising fresh fruit milkshakes, with guanabana listed as an option, I made my husband pull over. While he was looking at the many birdhouses on the property, I went inside and ordered my milkshake. While waiting, I looked around at all of the exotic fruits - I don't know what most of them were (they had signs). They also had fresh jams and honey for sale.

The flyer I picked up says that they can ship to your home, so check out their website if you feel the need for an Ugly Fruit, or Soursop, or Tangelo, or Dragon Fruit, or Monstera...

• Madasabull's Profile Photo

by Madasabull Written Dec 12, 2013

It's worth paying to go into the Park, as there are walkways and paths that give you a real close up look at the critters and grasses.

In one area, a walkway has been built leading to a writhing mass of alligators, presumably waiting to be fed by staff at some point in order to attract tourists, but hey, these are still wild creatures living in the Everglades.

The park is huge, with camp sites and places you can kayak, don't know about swimming though, I don't think you would live long if you tried.

As we drove along the main road in the park, we looked for little tracks that we could drive down to get of the main drag, and found some really great little spots.

Well worth a visit, and for me, I could say I have been somewhere I had dreamed about going.

• Adventure Travel

• Madasabull's Profile Photo

Watch out for Nile or Saltwater Croc's!

by Madasabull Written Dec 12, 2013

That's right, while driving along the road in South West Florida, we came across a man standing on a barrier staring into the grasses on the other side.

We stopped to see what he was looking at, and he told us he was a local guy who owned a diner nearby, and said that what we are looking at, is a Saltwater croc. Well, Ive seen Salties in Australia, and have never heard of them living in the Everglades, but here is what looks like one to me, or maybe Im wrong, maybe the local guy is wrong, maybe it's a Nile croc, or even a regular Everglades croc that looks a little odd.

Anyway, he said it was the biggest invader he has seen here, and said it must be 14 feet long or more. It sure looked big, and fat too! Check out my pics and even my video of it and tell me what you think. And if you are there, and you see one of these huge things, stay away, they will get you if you get too close. That said, stay away from any you see, they will all get you if they have a chance.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Adventure Travel

• SarahEcho's Profile Photo

Gallery gem in the heart of the Everglades

by SarahEcho Updated Aug 28, 2012

self portrait photo with banyan tree on property

Want to see the true Everglades? Being a Florida native and making the trip several time cross state, I would recommend to travel the less travelled road, US 41 or Tamiami trail at least once...or twice even. Its a one lane highway through the thick of the Everglades National Park. Lots of good roadsides to stop at. For example, a hike through the Florida Panther Wildlife Refuge. Learning about the Florida folklore of the Skunk Ape at the Skunk Ape Research Headquarters. They also have an amazing collection of reptile, birds and orchid garden! One of my favorites is the Big Cypress Gallery, home of famous photographer, Clyde Butcher. Amazing photography of landscapes worldwide, especially here in my homestate of Florida. He has over 20 acres of swamp property to explore in which he conducts annual swamp tours. Beautiful. Cannot miss it if you love photography or idolize the serene, untouched everglades backcountry.

Everglades National Park - Shark Valley

by TravellerMel Written Apr 11, 2012
    Everglades NP - Shark Valley

The Shark Valley area of the Everglades National Park features a beautiful 15-mile loop path - one of the best traffic-free bicycle trails in South Florida! You can walk it or bike it (bicycles are available for rent at the visitors center), or you can take a 2-hour guided tram tour. We opted to walk ~ 6 miles of the trail and saw LOTS of wildlife - alligators, birds, fish, turtles, lizards... It was incredible, and well worth the $10/carload admission fee (which was waived the day we went - a "National Park Day"!

If you go, get there early - it was nice when we arrived, and very crowded when we left 3 hours later. In fact, folks were parking on the street since the parking lot was FULL!

• mim95's Profile Photo

Anhinga Trail

by mim95 Updated Apr 4, 2011

An anhinga and two egrets at the Anhinga Trail

Not too far from the building of the Royal Palm Visitor Center is this easy 800m walking trail where you can see all sorts of wildlife. We saw 3 alligators, a turtle and many kinds of birds, including anhingas, herons and egrets. There is a boardwalk that goes through the marsh. There is a park ranger leading a guided walk everyday. Check the park's website (link below) for schedule.

We ended up spending about 2 hours here just to take photographs of the wildlife!

Pahayokee Overlook Trail

Pahayokee Boardwalk in 1967

In 1968, we visited all of the short trails in the park. This trail is similar to the Mahogany Hammock Trail except it ends at a handicapped accessible (ramps) short observation tower. It is a good place to see the vast stretches of sawgrass sweeping to the horizon and islands of cypress trees.

The 1/4 mile trail which takes 15-30 minutes, is 9 miles south of Royal Palm and 13 miles from the main visitor's center entrance. Look for indigo snakes, vultures, and red-shouldered hawks among the wildlife in this area.

Eco Pond

Butterfly at the Eco Pond

Another short stroll [0.5 miles (800 meters) round trip] around a freshwater pond which is actually man-made. It is the outfall for the Flamingo sewage treatment plant. There are a wide variety of wading birds, song birds, and other wildlife including alligators.

There is an observation tower at Eco Pond, located adjacent to the campground area, from which there is good bird watching, especially at sunrise and sunset. The platform is wheelchair-accessible viewing, but the path around the pond is grass.

Eco Pond is also a favorite location for animals and insects including a variety of butterflies. There are about 100 species of butterflies at the Everglades.

IMHO, Eco Pond is the primary wildlife viewing area near Flamingo. No dogs, fishing or boating is allowed.

• Disabilities

Shark Valley

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Rosette Spoonville walking on an alligator ?

The second best place to visit in the park is the Shark Valley Center. Here you can either walk, ride a bike or take a tram out to an elevated tower and look out over the glades. The tram ride is the most fun, and will provide you with many additional wildlife sightings.

We saw three nests of anhinga babies in different stages of development, a lot of rosette spoonbills, and baby alligators in addition to the wood storks, egrets, herons, ibises and cormorants that we saw at the Anhinga Trail.

A for more pictures and narrative see my Shark Valley tram trip.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Gumbo Limbo trail

by goingsolo Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Everglades National Park

This is a short trail that begins at Royal Palm, near the east entrance station. The trail, which is less than 1/2 mile, winds through what is described as a subtropical rain forest. Signs along the way describe the vegetation and climate of this area.

This is a nice walk to take in the springtime. The trees provide shade in the summer, but the humid conditions and lack of any breeze whatsoever would make this unbearable for anyone not used to a tropical climate. I would save this area for a winter of spring visit, when temperatures are far more pleasant.

The gumbo limbo trees seem miniscule in comparision to the towering Redwoods or giant Sequoias in California, but their ability to survive in this environment and their creation of natrual shade for other plants and animals make them unique. Along with the mangroves, these trees comprise most of the vegetation in this unique swampland

• Eco-Tourism
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

Anhinga Trail

Alligator

The best place to see wildlife in the winter is the Anhinga Trail. This was the case in the 1960s when we visited for the first time, and is still the case.

Normally there is a ranger talk/walk at 10:30 am, and in the winter they add a ranger talk at 3.30. You WILL see alligators (at least in the dry season).

Specifically this trail is half a mile round trip. It is a self guiding trail (although it is more interesting with the ranger pointing out specific birds) and it winds through a sawgrass marsh. In the winter, in addition to alligators there are turtles, anhingas, herons, egrets, and many other birds. The trail is paved or boardwalk, so it is wheelchair accessible.

Birdwatcher's Paradise

by TravellerMel Written Mar 9, 2011

Great Egret

My fiance is an avid birdwatcher - and he was in hog heaven while walking the Anhinga Trail. Since we didn't know we would be coming to the Everglades National Park when we planned our trip (the purpose of the trip was to attend his friend's wedding in Key West), so did not bring his bird guide, so he asked me to take photos of the birds so he can check them off his list.

The birds were plentiful, and beautiful, and very interesting to watch - but I have no idea what they are...

We saw lots of vultures too - I didn't take any photos of them... :-)

Everglades National Park - Anhinga Trail

by TravellerMel Updated Mar 9, 2011

Everglades National Park

Driving from Key West to catch our plane in Ft. Lauderdale, we had approximately 1 hour to spend at the Everglades National Park. After getting our Passport to Your National Parks book stamped, we talked to the ranger on duty, who recommended the Anhinga Trail. He provided a map and directions to the trailhead and we were on our way.

We paid the $10/car admission fee and were at the trailhead in about 10 minutes. SO COOL - the Anhinga Trail is a boardwalk-type walking trail which brought us up close and sometimes directly above the wildlife. We stopped counting once we reached our 20th alligator sighting, plus saw turtles and many, many different birds. We were able to make the semi-loop trail in just about an hour (I take a lot of photos...) and were satisfied with our short visit.

We want to go back again and spend more time on some of the longer trails - the Everglades National Park is very large and has many outdoor opportunities, but I am very happy we were even able to spend a little time there.

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Black Vulture

by Basaic Written Jun 12, 2010

Black Vulture

This is a black vulture, a cousin to the ones we see a lot in the west. If you see one of these in the parking area, keep a close eye on them; they like to eat the rubber around your windshield and your windshield wipers.

• Eco-Tourism

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Great Blue Heron

by Basaic Written Jun 12, 2010

Great Blue Heron

Another bird I saw several of was the Great Blue Heron. This is the largest North American Heron with a hieght of about 4 1/2 feet. There are a few differnt subspecies of Great Blue Herons living in the Everglades.

Instant Answers: Everglades National Park

Comments

Everglades National Park Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Everglades National Park things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Everglades National Park sightseeing.

View all Everglades National Park hotels