Fernandina Beach Local Customs

• This double porch is part of the Tabby House
    This double porch is part of the Tabby...
    A cat photo for my friend Dumpymotel
    a plump pelican

Most Recent Local Customs in Fernandina Beach

Where were the dogs?

A cat photo for my friend Dumpymotel

Saw a bunch of cats in Fernandina Beach, but now that I think back on it--I don't recall seeing more than one dog (a dog that tried to jump his fence and get at us). I'm a dog guy and cats make me sneeze. But I don't mind seeing a cat catch a cat nap on his front step. I was good and did not attempt to chase the cat.

• Photography

The double porch

This double porch is part of the Tabby House

Almost every Victorian in Fernandina Beach has a double porch. It is a distinct style that you don't see on the Victorian houses in my part of the world. These double porches seem very Floridian to me. I imagine that in the 1800s it was a relief to spend time on the porch after toiling inside with no air-conditioning.

• Architecture

• zrim's Profile Photo

Gather at the docks at sunset

a plump pelican

The pelicans gather along the boatyards at sunset awaiting any lagging fishing boats. Always on the lookout for a free handout of bait not used that day. If the handouts are scarce, the sunset from the port overlooking the marshes is still beautiful. Though, I believe the pelicans are probably more interested in fish than sunsets.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Beaches
    • Fishing

Instant Answers: Fernandina Beach

Comments

Fernandina Beach Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Fernandina Beach local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fernandina Beach sightseeing.

View all Fernandina Beach hotels