Fernandina Beach Restaurants

View of the old buolding from 1878

Most Recent Restaurants in Fernandina Beach

Pepper's Mexican Grill & Cantina: Stopped in for Drinks

by charlenemixa Written Aug 11, 2014

We stopped in for drinks at Pepper's and to get a light meal for the grandchildren. The waiter was very good. Enjoyed the beer, wine and Margarita. The kids menu was good. Our only disappointment was the bathroom did not have a Baby Changing Station. Very poor to have a restaurant this size. They have a huge handicap bathroom stall but no Baby Changing Station. We mentioned this to the staff as we left but could tell they didn't care.

• charlenemixa's Profile Photo

Lulu's at the Thompson House: Small Restaurant - Excellent Food!

by charlenemixa Written Aug 11, 2014

We dined with young grandchildren and the staff was so courteous. The meals were all excellent. We ate inside but they do have outside seating, too. Make reservations as they are busy at dinner. Excellent fresh seafood dishes. Unique dessert of bread pudding made with glazed donuts!

• charlenemixa's Profile Photo

Brett's Waterway Cafe: Enjoy a Fabulous Sunset with Dinner!

by charlenemixa Written Aug 11, 2014

We had been to Brett's many years ago and were again delighted with the food, service and awesome sunset. Visiting as a family (2 toddlers), everyone enjoyed their meals and the setting on the water. We had a variety of dishes (beef tips, BBQ shrimp, Salmon, and Shrimp & grits). Each dish was very tasty with good size servings. A feature is their grits and they were delicious. The grandchildren were easily entertained walking along the pier and docks. Plus the evening we were there while it was not a sunny day, the sunset was a spectacular bright red! They also have easy parking. A very good place to dine while in Fernandina for good food, drinks, and enjoy the views.

• charlenemixa's Profile Photo

Palace Saloon: Historic Saloon: Stop for a Drink!

by charlenemixa Written Aug 11, 2014

With its old beautiful bar and tin ceiling this historic saloon is a great stop day or night for a drink. We went in one evening and enjoyed drinks, enjoyed the history of this unique saloon. It is a smoking facility which is the only negative. We did find out after arriving they have a game and area and a non-smoking bar in the back. (Recommend non-smokers check that out). A band was getting ready to play as we left and the bar was definitely getting busy.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

O'Kane's: Irish Pub & Eats

by BruceDunning Written Jun 9, 2011

Overall the food was good and the service fine. The Philly Steak sandwich is $8 and a Caesar Wrap$9. The beers for those Irish stouts are pricey at $4-5, but they also have drafts for a bit less.

Favorite Dish: The Philly Steak was good tasting and Wedge fries good compliment

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Palace Saloon: Famous Old Saloon

by BruceDunning Updated Jun 9, 2011

It basically is not what it used to be. Besides being a packed hangout for locals and tourists alike to drink and mingle, they had an adjacent steakhouse next door and it had good traditional American food the tasted good and was reasonable. That was 30 years ago for me, though. What changed? Well, now there is a fast food nook at the rear of the bar and the restaurant is closed. That counter food is brought over to bar patrons that order. The menu is limited to hotdogs, brats, hamburgers, and some other short list items. For our lunch, the brats and hotdog we ordered were warm to cool and went into a microwave for a few seconds only. The fries were also tasteless, and came out of a prepared bag of greasy. The brat was $6.50 and hotdog $5, and a beer $3.25 and glass of wine $6.5 for house.
    The ambiance is gone-but a giddy bartendress with low cut blouse and short shorts may turn you on? She was mostly mindless. The place dates back to 1903 when it was a draw for ship captains of 20 saloons in town. The building history is from 1878, when it was a shoe store first.. The toilets must be from early 1900's and smell like it, form when they first got plumbing

Favorite Dish: How can I choose not much at all? The brat would have been better if it had been cooked and hot.

Pirate standing guard The bar with chairs-empty Oldest restrooms in the country-early 1900's View of the old buolding from 1878

Marina Seafood Restaurant: Fernandina's First Landmark for Seafood

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

The name of this restaurant is confusing. They are on main street on the other side of the railroad tracks from the marina, but they have no connection with the marina and Brett's is closer. We didn't go here until our third visit, thinking it was too fancy for us. It is definitely a tourist restaurant.

Not only were they closed on Thanksgiving, but were closed the day afterwards too. I understand that the restaurants in this town also are closed on Mother's Day. Now sentiment about family is all very well and good, but it's not very good business to close on the biggest restaurant day of the year IMHO.

We went here again in 2007

The Marina Restaurant menu says (in part) that the town of Fernandina was destroyed twice - once by the Civil War in 1862, and the second by fire in 1870:

which burnt and destroyed the original wooden structures from the docks to 3rd Street...
    Major William B.C. Duryee who served with the Occupational Forces with the Union Army returned to Fernandina, purchased property and built a two-story masonry structure, unique in its time due to the fact it was built on pilings sunk into the earth for support. The building was completed in the mid 1880's. The first occupant was Major Duryee's business, which dealt in hay, grain and oats. Also occupying the building was the First U.S. Custom House in the United States. Major Duryee also served as Collector of Customs. The lease was made by the U.S. Treasury for $180.00 per annum. The Custom House occuped this space until the early 1900's
    The Duryee Building (Marina Restaurant) was also home of the oldest Newspaper in Florida. A very colorful and flamboyant Major George Fairbanks was the Editor, who recorded Fernandina's life and history during that period of time. The Florida Mirror later became the Fernandina Beach News-Leader. The First Bank of Florida was located in the building. This bank was purchased and later became the First National Bank of Florida.
    In the early 1900's a restaurant was established in the Duryee Building...

Favorite Dish: It has early bird specials on weeknights which are quite reasonable (second photo). Dinner for the two of us was $25.33.

When we came back in 2007, we both had the chicken with yellow rice special.

I thought we might have ice cream for dessert from Fernandina Fudge, so we didn't have dessert here.

Restaurant Early Bird Specials Inside of the restaurant Daily specials $9.95 Wednesday chicken special
    • School Holidays

• westerreich's Profile Photo

Jack & Diane's: Apparently it really IS horrible!

by westerreich Updated Oct 28, 2009

We wanted to go eat at Bonito Grill & Sushi, but when it turns out they don't do Sunday lunch, we ended up sitting down at the next open place up the road, which happened to be... Jack & Diane's - a small quaint looking place with indoor and outdoor seating, that seemed reasonably well frequented by a few guests.

The first thing I noticed was the peculiar array of facial hair found on all the restaurant staff - each one of them seemed to be a college-age male with some sort of "beard" in various stages of trim, including one with big sideburns.

Our server was very attentive, charming, and seemed almost shy - he really did everything he could to get us what we needed... so far, so good! I ordered the bread pudding bowl special... I love bread pudding, and it's always good - or so I thought.

My wife had a craving for shrimp, so she ordered the crab and shrimp alfredo. Well, that's when things started to go downhill. When we got the food, we already looked at each other - the crab and shrimp alfredo which was going for a hefty $12 showed NO evidence of any shrimp... I don't know about you, but for $12 at lunch, I expect to have at least a handful of nice whole shrimp in the dish... but no - whatever shrimpy or crabby there was, seemed to be ground up with the sauce, and indeed only "salad shrimp" - the tiny variety, which of course drowned in the sea of pasta without chance for rescue.

My wife was mortally disappointed, and I didn't fare much better with the bread pudding bowl - after just a few bites, the bread pudding seemed to come out of my ears... it was just dry, and not very tasty, and it was more a torture to eat it, than a pleasure.

With about 1/4 of each our meals eaten, we decided to call it a day, paid, left, and instead had some ice cream down the road!

Later on, I checked some of the other online reviews, and they are overwhelmingly BAD! So I think it's pretty safe to say... avoid this one!

Favorite Dish: When the ice water is the best item you consumed, there's something wrong with the place!

• doug48's Profile Photo

brett's waterway cafe: on the water

by doug48 Written Jan 10, 2008

brett's waterway cafe is located between front street and the intercoastal waterway in downtown fernandina. brett's offers an excellent seafood selection. a nice place to have lunch or watch the sunset over the intercoastal in the afternoons. a nice casual restaurant in the historic district.

Favorite Dish: grouper sandwich

brett's waterway cafe
    • Archeology
    • National/State Park

• doug48's Profile Photo

beech street grill: american

by doug48 Written Jan 10, 2008

the beech street grill is located in the historic bell house built in 1889. the beech street grill is in my opinion the best restaurant in fernandia. they offer steaks and seafood in a very nice victorian setting. they also have an impressive wine list. a good spot for fine dining in fernandina.

beech street grill
    • Architecture

Amelia Island Gourmet Coffee: Seattle's Best

by grandmaR Updated Apr 30, 2007

As a non-coffee drinker I never thought of going to this place and it was completely under my radar. I do not know how long it has been here.

The website says:

This coffeehouse offers fresh roasted, select coffees from around the world, by the cup or by the pound, as well as excellent breakfast sandwiches, muffins, bagels, and croissants and an extensive dessert selection that includes homemade cheesecakes and Haagaen-Dazs ice cream. They are open Monday through Saturday for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and open on Sunday for brunch and dinner.

Favorite Dish: I thought I would have some ice cream for dessert at Fernandina Fudge, but they were closed for remodeling. So we walked across the street and came here instead. Initially, Bob did not think we could get ice cream here. There were a LOT of student types here getting coffee or ice cream, and I could not stand in line because my back hurts me when I have to stand for any length of time. So Bob stood in line for me while I went back and sat down (photo 4).

Ice cream counter Front door from outside Tables inside front the front Sitting in the back - Bob standing in line for me souveniers for sale
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Seniors

The Beech Street Grill: A Gingerbread Triumph

by grandmaR Updated Mar 31, 2007

I have not eaten here at this restaurant. I took the picture because of the architecture which has been described as a triumph of the Gingerbread Age.

The restaurant website says:
    More than 150 years ago, identical twin brothers were born in Cape Fear, North Carolina. They would become seafarers and harbor pilots and rise to serve the Confederate Navy during the War Between the States, receiving commendations for bravery.

William and James Bell made their way to the new state of Florida, to "Old Town" and the bluffs of Egan's Creek on Amelia Island. They piloted their skiffs from the creek for the quickest access to Cumberland Sound and the Atlantic beyond. Skillful and daring seamanship brought rewards: the first pilot to reach a ship would earn the bounty of bringing it into the channel and to the dockside.

During slack seasons and inclement weather, the Bells turned their hands to building a church and homes for themselves and other harbor pilots. After their first simple cottages in "Old Town," the brothers' endeavors became more elaborate and ornate in the new City of Fernandina - a bustling shipping industry.

The Grande Dame of Beech Street is, of course, a Bell Brother's home. Built in 1889 as a wedding gift for the bride of William, the Eastlake landmark is noteworthy for its bay windows and two story verandahs ornamented with Chippendale style balustrades. The home is constructed of heart pine and has a coined-seam metal roof. The marble mantels and fireplace facades were imported from Italy, and finishing touches came from as far away as England and Belgium.

• Architecture

Bonito Grill & Sushi: Confusing Script

by grandmaR Updated Mar 29, 2007

I have not eaten here, as we don't care for sushi - or at least Bob doesn't. I found this photo in the pictures that I took, and the name of it was too hard to read. It would never have occured to me that the name was Bonita.

Even though we don't 'do' sushi, I would probably recommend this to my sister and BIL who like sushi.

Favorite Dish: This is apparently a good place to go for sushi. I saw several reviews and all of them were favorable. This was the most detailed

The sushi is always tasty and fresh, although the rice used could be a bit stickier so the roll doesn't come apart - but I'm not complaining. The ham and brie sandwich is delicious. You would not be disappointed with the Bento Box with fried grouper. I find myself often craving the black bean and rice cake that is a staple in the Bento. The service is always friendly and warm.

Streetside view
    • Business Travel

Cafe Karibo: Formerly the 27 North Garden Cafe

by grandmaR Updated Mar 29, 2007

This was a breakfast-lunch-computer cafe place, but it was closed when we came back in 2001 - looked like it was being remodeled. Then when we came back in March 2002, it was still closed and had a different name. This time (2005) when we came, it was open.

When we walked in, another couple offered to let us sit at their table for 6, which we appreciated as the place was crowded even though it was almost 1:30. They had met the owner on the beach that morning - they were staying at the Elizabeth Pointe Lodge Bed and Breakfast.

You can eat inside or outside on the patio (photo 2)

Favorite Dish: I had the corn and crab chowder which was the special. It came in a glass and there were nice BIG chunks of crab meat in it. I also had the curried chicken salad wrap ($7.95), which was very good, and included potato salad and fruit. I could only eat half of it. Bob had a sandwich, also with potato salad and fruit - total for lunch $23.10.

In 2007, we also came here to eat lunch - very late so there was plenty of space. I had the soup of the day (photo 3) and the Pig and Apple sandwich which was lean ham and slices of apple on grilled sourdough breat with white chedder.

All of their food is very tasty and a little different.

Sign, wrap and soup in a glass From inside looking out to the patio My soup of the day - cup $3.95 Salad and Soup Part of the menu Pig and Apple $6.30
    • Sailing and Boating

1878 Tavern & Grille: Upscale Yuppie place

by grandmaR Updated Apr 1, 2006

The literature says that there has been a restaurant here since 1878, and hence the name.

It was very expensive at least for lunch - lunch cost as much as most dinners we get a reasonable restaurants. Was not open for food on Thanksgiving 2001, although they were having music and drinks (i.e. the bar was open) in the evening.

Some of the items from their menu (showing the type of cuisine that they are aiming for)

Pepper Seared Tuna .asian vegetable lo mein and avocado-ginger finish . . . Petite $12.95 . . Dinner $22.95

Grilled New York Strip .cabernet-peppercorn demi-glace, roasted garlic smashed potatoes, and today's vegetable . Petite $13.95. . . Dinner $22.95

Chesapeake Bay Crab Cakes & Fried Green Tomatoes . . . $19.95

Caribbean Jerk Pork Tenderloin. .mango bbq sauce, spanish rice and today's vegetable . . . . . . . . . . . ........$18.95

Sauteed Local Shrimp .tossed with artichoke hearts, wild mushrooms and spinach in a roasted red pepper-pecan pesto over angel hair pasta . . Petite $11.95 . . Dinner $21.95

Hickory Smoked Prime Rib.horseradish-rosemary jus, roasted garlic smashed potatoes and today's vegetable . . Petite $10.95 . . . Dinner $19.95

Grilled Fresh Jumbo Sea Scallops..wrapped in applewood smoked bacon served over penne pasta tossed with mediterranean ratatoville .Petite $12.95 Dinner $23.95

Wood Roasted 1/2 Free Range Chicken . . . . . . Dinner $16.95

Favorite Dish: This is mainly a place that caters to tourists. I felt it was very precious (not in a good sense).

We were there for lunch late, and the place was still crowded - people hanging from the ceiling - mostly because the service was so poor that it was hard to get waited on, you waited a long time for your food, and then an equally long time for the check. I didn't think the food was worth either the price or the wait. Probably the poor service affects how I think about the place. For lunch I just want good food, I don't want a 'dining experience'.

This place was formerly the 1878 Steakhouse, and it changed names and ownership and chef in 2001 near the time that we were there, so maybe the problems have been ironed out by now.

Main Street advertisement from internet Fernandina in the morning
    • Luxury Travel
    • School Holidays

Instant Answers: Fernandina Beach

Comments

Fernandina Beach Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Fernandina Beach restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fernandina Beach sightseeing.

View all Fernandina Beach hotels