Fernandina Beach Restaurants

• zrim's Profile Photo

Beech Street Grill: Great Southern Cuisine

by zrim Written Apr 7, 2004

The place to go in Fernandina Beach

First class all the way. Attentive wait-staff, attractive dining room, superb menu. This is the place for a special meal if you find yourself in Fernandina Beach.

Becky had the crab-stuffed shrimp with a Tasso ham (redeye) gravy served with cheese grits and greens. the gravy was a nice level of spiciness and the cheese grits were not as runny as the type you might get in a diner.

I chose the mustard glazed lamb loin. Normally, restaurants that serve lamb will offer a rack of lamb or lamb chops. You don't often see lamb loin on offer. I got a generous portion that was perfectly medium-rare. The lamb came with a mint apple chutney that was delicious.

For dessert I had the white chocolate cheesecake (excellent) and Becky and I each had a glass of port that stretched our budget.

• doug48's Profile Photo

beech street grill: american

by doug48 Written Jan 10, 2008

beech street grill

the beech street grill is located in the historic bell house built in 1889. the beech street grill is in my opinion the best restaurant in fernandia. they offer steaks and seafood in a very nice victorian setting. they also have an impressive wine list. a good spot for fine dining in fernandina.

• Architecture

• doug48's Profile Photo

brett's waterway cafe: on the water

by doug48 Written Jan 10, 2008

brett's waterway cafe

brett's waterway cafe is located between front street and the intercoastal waterway in downtown fernandina. brett's offers an excellent seafood selection. a nice place to have lunch or watch the sunset over the intercoastal in the afternoons. a nice casual restaurant in the historic district.

Favorite Dish: grouper sandwich

• Archeology
    • National/State Park

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Palace Saloon: Famous Old Saloon

by BruceDunning Updated Jun 9, 2011

Pirate standing guard

It basically is not what it used to be. Besides being a packed hangout for locals and tourists alike to drink and mingle, they had an adjacent steakhouse next door and it had good traditional American food the tasted good and was reasonable. That was 30 years ago for me, though. What changed? Well, now there is a fast food nook at the rear of the bar and the restaurant is closed. That counter food is brought over to bar patrons that order. The menu is limited to hotdogs, brats, hamburgers, and some other short list items. For our lunch, the brats and hotdog we ordered were warm to cool and went into a microwave for a few seconds only. The fries were also tasteless, and came out of a prepared bag of greasy. The brat was $6.50 and hotdog $5, and a beer $3.25 and glass of wine $6.5 for house.
    The ambiance is gone-but a giddy bartendress with low cut blouse and short shorts may turn you on? She was mostly mindless. The place dates back to 1903 when it was a draw for ship captains of 20 saloons in town. The building history is from 1878, when it was a shoe store first.. The toilets must be from early 1900's and smell like it, form when they first got plumbing

Favorite Dish: How can I choose not much at all? The brat would have been better if it had been cooked and hot.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

O'Kane's: Irish Pub & Eats

by BruceDunning Written Jun 9, 2011

Overall the food was good and the service fine. The Philly Steak sandwich is $8 and a Caesar Wrap$9. The beers for those Irish stouts are pricey at $4-5, but they also have drafts for a bit less.

Favorite Dish: The Philly Steak was good tasting and Wedge fries good compliment

Amelia Island Gourmet Coffee: Seattle's Best

by grandmaR Updated Apr 30, 2007

Ice cream counter

As a non-coffee drinker I never thought of going to this place and it was completely under my radar. I do not know how long it has been here.

The website says:

This coffeehouse offers fresh roasted, select coffees from around the world, by the cup or by the pound, as well as excellent breakfast sandwiches, muffins, bagels, and croissants and an extensive dessert selection that includes homemade cheesecakes and Haagaen-Dazs ice cream. They are open Monday through Saturday for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and open on Sunday for brunch and dinner.

Favorite Dish: I thought I would have some ice cream for dessert at Fernandina Fudge, but they were closed for remodeling. So we walked across the street and came here instead. Initially, Bob did not think we could get ice cream here. There were a LOT of student types here getting coffee or ice cream, and I could not stand in line because my back hurts me when I have to stand for any length of time. So Bob stood in line for me while I went back and sat down (photo 4).

• Sailing and Boating
    • Seniors

Brett's Waterway Cafe, Inc.: Waterfront Cafe

by grandmaR Updated Jul 10, 2003

From the waterfront in 2007

We ate here twice. It is very, very busy and is not open in the middle of the afternoon or on Thanksgiving. This restaurant is right on the water with a deck outside, and there is a very expensive souvenier shop on the street side.

The first time we came through we didn't eat here at all because we arrived (hungry) at about 2 and they were closed, and at dinner time there was a big waiting line.

On the way back north in the spring of 2001 we went for dinner as soon as the place opened, and liked it and we thought we got an early bird special which was a good price and that the food was good.

Favorite Dish: When we got there in the fall of 2001 we did the same- went very early for dinner. We were unhappy to discover that the place wasn't open on Thanksgiving and they were pretty dismissive about our feeling that as a tourist town they needed to be ready to feed people on holidays. They got all high and mighty about letting their people have time with their families.

They also said they never had early bird specials. This time, we thought the food overpriced and not as good as we remembered. We got prime rib again and it was very fatty. Dinner for two was $44.33

• Luxury Travel

Marina Seafood Restaurant: Fernandina's First Landmark for Seafood

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Restaurant

The name of this restaurant is confusing. They are on main street on the other side of the railroad tracks from the marina, but they have no connection with the marina and Brett's is closer. We didn't go here until our third visit, thinking it was too fancy for us. It is definitely a tourist restaurant.

Not only were they closed on Thanksgiving, but were closed the day afterwards too. I understand that the restaurants in this town also are closed on Mother's Day. Now sentiment about family is all very well and good, but it's not very good business to close on the biggest restaurant day of the year IMHO.

We went here again in 2007

The Marina Restaurant menu says (in part) that the town of Fernandina was destroyed twice - once by the Civil War in 1862, and the second by fire in 1870:

which burnt and destroyed the original wooden structures from the docks to 3rd Street...
    Major William B.C. Duryee who served with the Occupational Forces with the Union Army returned to Fernandina, purchased property and built a two-story masonry structure, unique in its time due to the fact it was built on pilings sunk into the earth for support. The building was completed in the mid 1880's. The first occupant was Major Duryee's business, which dealt in hay, grain and oats. Also occupying the building was the First U.S. Custom House in the United States. Major Duryee also served as Collector of Customs. The lease was made by the U.S. Treasury for $180.00 per annum. The Custom House occuped this space until the early 1900's
    The Duryee Building (Marina Restaurant) was also home of the oldest Newspaper in Florida. A very colorful and flamboyant Major George Fairbanks was the Editor, who recorded Fernandina's life and history during that period of time. The Florida Mirror later became the Fernandina Beach News-Leader. The First Bank of Florida was located in the building. This bank was purchased and later became the First National Bank of Florida.
    In the early 1900's a restaurant was established in the Duryee Building...

Favorite Dish: It has early bird specials on weeknights which are quite reasonable (second photo). Dinner for the two of us was $25.33.

When we came back in 2007, we both had the chicken with yellow rice special.

I thought we might have ice cream for dessert from Fernandina Fudge, so we didn't have dessert here.

Cafe Karibo: Formerly the 27 North Garden Cafe

by grandmaR Updated Mar 29, 2007

Sign, wrap and soup in a glass

This was a breakfast-lunch-computer cafe place, but it was closed when we came back in 2001 - looked like it was being remodeled. Then when we came back in March 2002, it was still closed and had a different name. This time (2005) when we came, it was open.

When we walked in, another couple offered to let us sit at their table for 6, which we appreciated as the place was crowded even though it was almost 1:30. They had met the owner on the beach that morning - they were staying at the Elizabeth Pointe Lodge Bed and Breakfast.

You can eat inside or outside on the patio (photo 2)

Favorite Dish: I had the corn and crab chowder which was the special. It came in a glass and there were nice BIG chunks of crab meat in it. I also had the curried chicken salad wrap ($7.95), which was very good, and included potato salad and fruit. I could only eat half of it. Bob had a sandwich, also with potato salad and fruit - total for lunch $23.10.

In 2007, we also came here to eat lunch - very late so there was plenty of space. I had the soup of the day (photo 3) and the Pig and Apple sandwich which was lean ham and slices of apple on grilled sourdough breat with white chedder.

All of their food is very tasty and a little different.

• Sailing and Boating

Palace Saloon: Rowdy late night pub

by grandmaR Written Feb 22, 2004

During the morning - when closed

I have gone by this place many times and have never gone in to eat. I looked it up on the website because I had a picture of it, and the first pictures I found were of a fire. I do not know when the fire was.

Favorite Dish: Website says: "Florida’s oldest saloon, where sea captains and the Cumberland elite once enjoyed the hospitality and good cheer. Meet your friends in a rich historic setting to partake of your favorite spirits in a casual, jovial atmosphere. The menu includes shrimp, burgers, sandwiches and wings, and live entertainment is often featured. Open from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m."

• Beer Tasting

Crab Trap: Interesting decor

by grandmaR Updated Jul 10, 2003

Back of the resturant from dock area

Has an actual crab trap hanging in the ceiling, and other interesting items. The food is good and interesting.

Favorite Dish: We walked up to the Crab Trap for dinner. I had oyster stew (forgetting that milk sometimes doesn't agree with me) and a salad, and cheese grits, which turned out to be cheese sticks, but with a batter of grits. Bob had an au gratin seafood dish which was too rich for him to eat more than half of. The food was quite reasonable in price.

• Cruise

• westerreich's Profile Photo

Jack & Diane's: Apparently it really IS horrible!

by westerreich Updated Oct 28, 2009

We wanted to go eat at Bonito Grill & Sushi, but when it turns out they don't do Sunday lunch, we ended up sitting down at the next open place up the road, which happened to be... Jack & Diane's - a small quaint looking place with indoor and outdoor seating, that seemed reasonably well frequented by a few guests.

The first thing I noticed was the peculiar array of facial hair found on all the restaurant staff - each one of them seemed to be a college-age male with some sort of "beard" in various stages of trim, including one with big sideburns.

Our server was very attentive, charming, and seemed almost shy - he really did everything he could to get us what we needed... so far, so good! I ordered the bread pudding bowl special... I love bread pudding, and it's always good - or so I thought.

My wife had a craving for shrimp, so she ordered the crab and shrimp alfredo. Well, that's when things started to go downhill. When we got the food, we already looked at each other - the crab and shrimp alfredo which was going for a hefty $12 showed NO evidence of any shrimp... I don't know about you, but for $12 at lunch, I expect to have at least a handful of nice whole shrimp in the dish... but no - whatever shrimpy or crabby there was, seemed to be ground up with the sauce, and indeed only "salad shrimp" - the tiny variety, which of course drowned in the sea of pasta without chance for rescue.

My wife was mortally disappointed, and I didn't fare much better with the bread pudding bowl - after just a few bites, the bread pudding seemed to come out of my ears... it was just dry, and not very tasty, and it was more a torture to eat it, than a pleasure.

With about 1/4 of each our meals eaten, we decided to call it a day, paid, left, and instead had some ice cream down the road!

Later on, I checked some of the other online reviews, and they are overwhelmingly BAD! So I think it's pretty safe to say... avoid this one!

Favorite Dish: When the ice water is the best item you consumed, there's something wrong with the place!

The Beech Street Grill: A Gingerbread Triumph

by grandmaR Updated Mar 31, 2007

I have not eaten here at this restaurant. I took the picture because of the architecture which has been described as a triumph of the Gingerbread Age.

The restaurant website says:
    More than 150 years ago, identical twin brothers were born in Cape Fear, North Carolina. They would become seafarers and harbor pilots and rise to serve the Confederate Navy during the War Between the States, receiving commendations for bravery.

William and James Bell made their way to the new state of Florida, to "Old Town" and the bluffs of Egan's Creek on Amelia Island. They piloted their skiffs from the creek for the quickest access to Cumberland Sound and the Atlantic beyond. Skillful and daring seamanship brought rewards: the first pilot to reach a ship would earn the bounty of bringing it into the channel and to the dockside.

During slack seasons and inclement weather, the Bells turned their hands to building a church and homes for themselves and other harbor pilots. After their first simple cottages in "Old Town," the brothers' endeavors became more elaborate and ornate in the new City of Fernandina - a bustling shipping industry.

The Grande Dame of Beech Street is, of course, a Bell Brother's home. Built in 1889 as a wedding gift for the bride of William, the Eastlake landmark is noteworthy for its bay windows and two story verandahs ornamented with Chippendale style balustrades. The home is constructed of heart pine and has a coined-seam metal roof. The marble mantels and fireplace facades were imported from Italy, and finishing touches came from as far away as England and Belgium.

• Architecture

• Tio Loco's Fresh Mexican Grill: greatest mexican food in town

by islander1 Written May 2, 2004

Food is very authentic on flavor .great portions to $ value ,clean and FFaaasssttttt ,next to the movie theater owner and cooks are latin
    not too pricy ,burritos my favorite are over 1 pound
    they do most anything you want People say the owner and chef used to be a CHef at the Ritz Carlton it shows in the quality and friendlyness of the crew

Favorite Dish: quesadillas steak and the medium salsa is made with new york dtrip steak and u can see luis ,owner. roasting tomatos for the salsas the price under $7.00 whoahh fills u up and it tastes great

Golden Grouper Cafe: Tucked away on a side street

by grandmaR Updated Feb 22, 2004

from a website

We were kept waiting even tho we saw an empty table when we went in. Eventually we were put at the table that we had seen empty when we came in. Bob thinks they just make you wait because they can - not because they need to.

Favorite Dish: I had snapper and Bob asked for pork chops but they were out and it took them some time to relay that information to us. Many people like this restaurant, but we won't be back.

• Cruise

Instant Answers: Fernandina Beach

Comments

Fernandina Beach Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Fernandina Beach restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fernandina Beach sightseeing.

View all Fernandina Beach hotels