Fernandina Beach Warnings and Dangers

by grandmaR
    Marina restaurant
    by grandmaR
  • My daughter, Sara, wading on Amelia Island
    My daughter, Sara, wading on Amelia...
    by 850prc

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Fernandina Beach

• 850prc's Profile Photo

The Atlantic undertow....it can be deadly

by 850prc Updated Jun 9, 2007

My daughter, Sara, wading on Amelia Island

The Atlantic Ocean seems to have a much more fierce undertow and stronger riptides than does the Gulf of Mexico or the Pacific, or at least it seems.

Be advised that one should remain reasonably close to shore. Even the strongest swimmers can be overcome by the fury of the Atlantic overtow in short order. I've never spent a day in Daytona Beach (where there are zillions more people than Fernandina) that I didn't see the lifeguards have to drag some sap out of the surf.

And at Amelia Island/Fernandina....there's no lifeguards. So, stay close to shore and enjoy the surf on the beach. And, watch the kids.

IF YOU FIND YOURSELF CAUGHT IN A RIPTIDE, HERE IS THE ESCAPE PLAN:
    Do not swim with all your strength to short. Swim parallel to the coast, which should require much less energy. In a bit of time, you'll get into an area that does not have the strong riptide/undertow and you can then get safely back to shore.

AND IF YOU HOPEFULLY ESCAPE THE RIPTIDE WITH YOUR LIFE...I'd suggest staying the hell closer to shore from then on. Not kidding here, folks, it's dangerous.

• Beaches

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

No Place to Eat on a Holiday

by grandmaR Written Feb 24, 2004

Marina Restaurant at night

When we were here at Thanksgiving 2001, we found that there were no restaurants open on Thanksgiving Day. This one was closed not only on Thanksgiving, but also on the Friday afterwards.

We had the choice of taking a taxi out to Bob's Big Boy out on the highway, making a reservation at a very expensive place in town (and it was reportedly full) or eating at the church dinner, which was what we did.

I'm told that the restaurants close on Mother's Day too.

This year (2003), my sister and BIL ate at Who's on Fourth.

• School Holidays

Instant Answers: Fernandina Beach

Comments

Fernandina Beach Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Fernandina Beach warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fernandina Beach sightseeing.

View all Fernandina Beach hotels