Fun things to do in Florida Keys

Most Viewed Things to Do in Florida Keys

• Madasabull's Profile Photo

Hand Feeding Tarpon at Robbie's of Islamorada

by Madasabull Written Dec 9, 2013

Hand Feeding Tarpon at Robbie's of Islamorada is great fun. Sure, Robbie's makes a few dollars selling you the fish to feed the Tarpon with, but so what, they have spent years getting these amazing fish to hang around the Jetty, waiting to be fed by tourists.

I really enjoyed this, as I do like to fish, and to see these huge monsters up close like that is awesome. And there are other shops here too to by gifts and have a coffee.

Check out my video of me feeding the wild Tarpon, they are so fast at snatching the fish out of my hand.

• Aquarium
    • Fishing

• Stand Up Paddleboarding Florida Keys Kiteboarding

by Iamright1 Written Aug 28, 2012

I went to vacation in Marathon. A great location in the florida keys. I did stand up paddleboarding through Florida Keys Kiteboarding. I did a paddleboard tour with ted and had a blast! The first exciting part was learning how to paddleboard. It is much easier than it looks. The second great part about going paddleboarding was the friendly tour guide and the cool stuff that we saw. We saw dolphin playing in the shallows of the flats and so many different fish. They are located on the water so it was an easy stop on our way to the hotel. I would recommend this to anyone on vacation in the florida keys.

Manatee that we saw
    • Skiing and Boarding

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Glass bottom boat trips

by goingsolo Updated Apr 4, 2011

Glass bottom boat trips are a good way for the water phobic or non-swimmers to see the undersea environment. The Florida Keys have some of the most beautiful coral reefs in the world and no trip to the keys is complete without seeing them.

The glass bottom boat trip is a must for anyone visiting John Pennykamp State Park in Key Largo. Numerous other places in the Keys offer glass bottom boat trips as well. Check the Florida Keys online website for details and specifics.

Florida Keys
    • School Holidays

Islamorada: Hurricane Monument

by Ericasmurf99 Updated Mar 23, 2009

Honors those who lost their lives in the September 2, 1935 hurricane. The skeletal bones and cremated remains of the many citizens, visitors, and veterans who passed that day are actually apart of the monument.

The plaque reads: "Dedicated to the memory of civilians and war veterans whose lives were lost in the hurricane of Spetember second 1935"

On the green ceramic tile is an etching of the upper keys. This is the top of the crypt.

• Architecture

Seven Mile Bridge

by Ericasmurf99 Updated Mar 23, 2009

I measured it in my car; yep it really is 7 miles.
    You can pull off into a small parking lot and walk the 2.2 miles on the old bridge that runs along the side of the new 7 mile bridge. I think this is the best way to get pictures. There are also stairs on each side so you can walk down and get good pictures that way too. If you do walk the 2.2 mile bridge, you will find yourself on a very small island named Pigeon Key. There is a museum about the bridge there ($11.00 entry fee).

• Architecture

Marathon: Turtle Hospital

by Ericasmurf99 Updated Mar 16, 2009

The Turtle Hospital is a really neat way to learn and get close to some turtles. They start the tour with a very nice power point presentation (not boring I promise) describing the various types of turtles found in FL waters. They also explain the history of the Turtle Hospital and describe what they do. We then got to tour the surgery room and even saw a turtle being examined for Fibormayouses (turtle cancer). The best part is going out to the turtle housing area to meet and feed the turtles. Those loggerheads are HUGE! They keep the really sick ones that require daily medicine in the circle pools, and the permemant residents live in the bigger pool area. If they are a perminant resident, that means something was so wrong that they wouldn't be safe if they were released back into the wild. Typically, all turtles that arrive at the hospital get released with a clean bill of health.

Kudos to all the volonteers to come over and share their vet skills and knowledge with these turtles!

ADMISSION
    Adult: $15.00
    Children (4-12 years old): $7.50

HOURS OF OPERATION
    Tours run daily at 10am, 1pm and 4pm

• Eco-Tourism

Key Largo: John Pennekamp Coral Park

by Ericasmurf99 Written Mar 16, 2009

My family and I really wanted to see the Christ of the Deep statue. If you've seen photos, you know what I mean. His arms are stretched out welcoming you to the bottom of the water and there is just a "strong at peace feeling" when you see it.

Alas, it was not meant to be for my family. We got on the boat and started heading out. When we finally reached our destination the captain/guide started describing the best places to see coral and fish. I thought it was strange that he had not mentioned the statue yet. That was the "big thing" was it not?

So when he said "does anyone have any questions?"
    I asked him "where is the statue?"
    He says "Can you swim pretty good? It's 7 miles that way (he points)"
    I say nothing, though my face must be saying "Uhhhh what?"
    He says "It's just a statue. What you want to see is the coral. The coral is what is amazing here, not some 'ol statue".

I am so speechless, as was my mother. She was really looking foward to seeing the statue too. A few of the other passengers give each other looks of surprise, but then seem not to care anymore and just begin gathering their snorkle gear. We too put on our snorkle gear, I mean, it's not like we can march away mad we were stuck on a boat for 2 hours. So we snorkled...and it was okay...I've seen wayyy better in the Dry Tortugas. Heck I live in KW I can go see coral anytime. It was the Christ of the Deep statue that I wanted to see. :(

I ended up writing an angry letter to JPK park about the situation. How they advertise and hype up the statue...they never mention that there is a chance they could take you to a different snorkle section. I used quotes from their own website. I was extremly angry with the captain who just said it was some 'ol statue that I should want to see the coral. Well captain, it's not some "dumb 'ol statue" to me. It meant something to me. And you took it from me. JPK ended up writing back and apologizing and refunding our trip. I was grateful for the refund, but I still would have rather seen the statue.

So if you are going to the park to see the statue, PLEASE mention to the ticket counter and the captain "we are going to see the statue right?" If they say no, then demand your money back. Unless you are fine with just regular snorkling, but you can experience better snorkling in Key West and Dry Tortugas.

• Sailing and Boating

Seven Mile Bridge

by Babzz Updated Apr 23, 2008

You'll have to drive over it to get to Key West, but you can also stop and have a stroll over part of the original bridge. You can't walk the whole seven miles though because there is a piece missing about midway. Nice views and a break from driving.

National Key Deer Refuge

by Babzz Updated Apr 23, 2008

The refuge is home to the endangered Key Deer, which is a subspecies of the common White-tailed Deer. The deer can be seen along the road or in the vegetation anywhere within the reserve and are best viewed close to dawn or dusk, when they are most active. The reserve also has some nice nature trails. We went on the Watson and Mannillo trails, both of which have interpretive signs, but if you only plan to do one, I recommend the Mannillo Trail. Also of interest is the Blue Hole, which is a freshwater quarry and home to a couple of alligators, as well as a stopover for various waterbirds. Visit the Visitor Center for more detailed information and a map of the trails and viewing areas (also available on website).

• Eco-Tourism
    • National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking

Florida Keys Wild Bird Center

by Babzz Updated Apr 23, 2008

Nice little place to check out some local birds, both in captivity and in the wild. They have a Roseate Spoonbill in captivity. There are also tons of Brown Pelicans, egrets, Wood Storks, and the white morph Great Blue Heron. Entry is free, but donations are appreciated. There is also a little gift shop and a nature trail. I recommend 1/2-1 hour.

Brown Pelican Free-loader! Snowy Egret Wood Stork Turkey Vulture
    • Birdwatching
    • Hiking and Walking

Duck Key

by Babzz Written Apr 23, 2008

If you're interested in checking out how the fortunate live, have a little drive around Duck Key, where you can daydream about sitting on your veranda by the ocean, sipping a cold drink, enjoying the gorgeous views!

• Reef Roamer Snorkeling to Pennekamp Park

by jaquia2 Written Aug 14, 2007

We took a trip out to John Pennekamp State Park, on the Reef Roamer Catamaran. We did the sunset snorkel and sail with free champagne and it was the highlight of our vacation. The underwater park was beautiful we saw a huge sea turtle and several tropical fish it was truly like swimming in an aquarium. Then we sailed into the sunset on the the very spacious catamaran and layed on the forward trampoline sipping champagne.The crew were so professional and entertaining and great with my children. They let my daughter take a turn at the wheel dressing her up in a captains hat and they gave her a junior captain certificate which she still hasn't stopped talking about. She made us print out our pictures right away so she could bring them into school and brag about her helm time. We had had some hotel trouble and plane delays initially and this trip just made everything worth while. The boat does have trips all day long I think but the sunset one was amazing.

• realde14's Profile Photo

Dry Tortugas

by realde14 Written Dec 6, 2006

Technically part of the Gulf of Mexico and not the Florida Keys, the Dry Tortugas are located 70 miles SW of Key West and are absolutely stunning. They can be visited on a day trip from Key West. An abandoned fort, now converted into a National Park offers some surreal views of the ocean and the blue waters

Dry Tortugas
    • National/State Park

• MikeAtSea's Profile Photo

Florida Keys - Sailing & Fishing

by MikeAtSea Written Nov 24, 2006

Key West is also the main port to plan sailing or fishing trips aound the Florida Keys. Many charter business' are located in the main town of the Keys and weather permitting day cruises, fishing voyages and diving charters operate from the port of Key West. On a sunny day like the one when I visited hundres of yachts and boats are out in the sea.

Sailing
    • Cruise

• MikeAtSea's Profile Photo

Florida Keys - Beaches

by MikeAtSea Written Nov 24, 2006

Being an chain of islands surrounded by the warm waters of the Straits of Florida many isolated beaches can be found. Some outside hotels or guest houses may offer you sun beds and umbrellas others are unspoiled an invite to relax or walk in sun. As Florida is part of the subtropics it never really gets cold, hence the Keys are a year round destination, with maybe the exception of the hurricane season.

Beaches

Florida Keys Hotels

Latest Florida Keys Hotel Reviews

Lime Tree Bay Resort Motel
Latest: Jul 21, 2014
Holiday Inn Resort - Key Largo
Latest: Jul 21, 2014

Instant Answers: Florida Keys

Comments

Florida Keys Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Florida Keys locals.
Map of Florida Keys