Amusement Areas, Fort Lauderdale

Know about this? Rate It!

• Amusement Areas
    by richiecdisc
  • richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Try and enjoy some of the...

by richiecdisc Updated Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Try and enjoy some of the natural areas in the Fort Lauderdale area, there are great state parks in every direction. The beaches are still squeaky clean with warm aqua waters the whole yearlong. Take a dip, enjoy a cocktail, and just relax. Fort Lauderdale oozes that.

Fondest memory: During my heyday of spring break, I was in a different situation than most college kids on the “Strip” as the beach area was known in those days. I had befriended some locals who had summered in my home beach town, of Wildwood, NJ. I was very much the disc (Frisbee) player at that time and noticed an amazing player I’d never seen at my local beach one day. He was playing with a disc, as I’d never seen before. Pushing the spinning object into the wind and letting the gentle breeze blow it right back to him, he seemed in total command. Naturally we struck up a conversation, jammed a bit, and we were best buddies the whole summer. He was from Fort Lauderdale he explained, and said I just had to come down to jam there for spring break. The following winter I headed down with college roomies and met up with the boys, who called themselves, Beach Trash. The were a wild conglomeration of chiseled tan fun loving guys, well versed at hacky sack, disc, skateboarding, and carousing. It was a fun group, and perfect for the wild scene that was the “Strip” at that point in time. The beach was too soft to play on unlike our Jersey shore, so we found ourselves playing in the street right next to the wall that separated the beach from A1A, the road that runs along the Ft. Lauderdale beach. The trouble was the cars. We’d set up camp across from the Elbo Room, the most popular bar of the time, and essentially wait for a break in the traffic. This was more or less during red lights. The light would turn red, and for two minutes or more, we had the street all to ourselves. And the jam was on. It was an amazing feeling putting on a show with a full house on the Elbo Room balcony, absolutely packed sidewalk and beach, and even closer, cars full of loud boisterous coeds. Just thinking about it makes me smile.

Instant Answers: Fort Lauderdale

Comments

View all Fort Lauderdale hotels