The River Walk, Fort Lauderdale
Favorite thing: Winding its way through downtown Fort Lauderdale, Riverwalk Park is the location for the Broward Center for the Performing Arts, the Museum of Discovery and Science, and the Opera House among other things.
The Riverwalk starts near Stranahan House. The oldest surviving house in the city is a handsome pine and oak building. The pioneer Frank Stranahan built it in 1901. The house became a center of Fort Lauderdale’s community, serving as a trading post, meeting hall, post office and bank. Old pictures of Stranahan trading with the local Seminoles are very impressive. The Seminoles brought goods such as alligator hides and otter pelts from the nearby Everglades in their dugout canoes.
Seminole (meaning “wanderer” or “runaway”) was a term first used in the 1700th for members of several Creek Indian tribes, who were forced to lee south to Florida by land-hungry Europeans and later retreated into the Everglades.
Favorite thing: The Riverwalk follows a 1.5 mile (2.4km) stretch of the New River’s bank and links most of the city ‘s historical landmarks.