Know about this?
Shuffle Your Feet in the Sea
The ocean at Fort Myers Beach is very safe and very clean but you do need to be aware of possible dangers under foot. Stingrays are not always easy to see as they can bury themselves in the sand on the seabed. They don't take kindly to being stepped on and will sting if they are. The stings are not dangerous but are very painful.
Also, there can be various 'prickly things' on the sea bed, e.g. broken shells, so the advice is to shuffle your feet as you walk... thus alerting any lurking stingrays and making it less likely that you will step on something sharp.
Beware of Ray
"Shuffle your feet or you will do the stingray hop" tells the sign.
Fortunatly, only from May to October. The rays know the calendar and we had no problem with them because we were in Ft Myers in November 4th.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Fort Myers Beach Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Honolulu Hotels
- Malgrat de Mar
- Ghana Hotels
- Negril Hotels
- Cebu City
- Palma de Mallorca
- Tavarua Island Hotels
- New York City Warnings and Dangers
- Ensenada Warnings and Dangers
- Tijuana Warnings and Dangers
- Cancún Warnings and Dangers
- Saint Louis Warnings and Dangers
- South Padre Island Warnings and Dangers
- Angeles City Warnings and Dangers
- Puerto Rico Warnings and Dangers
- The Bahamas Warnings and Dangers
- Boracay Island Warnings and Dangers
- Port Douglas Warnings and Dangers
- Abu Dhabi Warnings and Dangers