Fort Walton Beach Restaurants

crab shack
    crab trap

Best Rated Restaurants in Fort Walton Beach

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Waffle House: Looking for breakfast?

@2004 wh Capitol, L.L.C.

If you ever been to this area before you'll notice these establishments everywhere. I had breakfast here every morning with my co-workers. I found the place clean, cheap, and food wonderful. I found the coffee here excellent. So check them out!

Here's tip, when you come across a Waffle House menu, grab it. It may contain some coupons that will save you $$

Floyd's Shrimp House: Very Enjoyable

by Yaqui Written Apr 9, 2006

This is a really neat place to eat. Has lots of character inside and the food is great. The service is very wonderful too! Have eaten here a couple of times and have always enjoyed it. I think you will too!

Favorite Dish: I liked Floyd's Famous Coco-Loco Shrimp Dinner, since the shrimp is covered in coconut and fried. The dinner came with plenty of veggies too!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

The Crab Trap: More great food!

by Yaqui Updated Apr 9, 2006

Front of the building from the strip

This is not a fancy place, but you will get your monies worth here. The food and service is wonderful. Some tables are positioned by the beach side with some pretty views and I bet during summer months they have this side opened up to the wharf balcony, which would be pretty cool to see!

Favorite Dish: As usual I had the cocanut shrimp baskets that came with fries or coleslaw. Yummy!

McGuires: Great food and company

by Yaqui Written Apr 9, 2006

This a pretty cool place to visit if your going to eat or just visit the bar. Lots of interesting stuff hanging from the ceiling and on the walls. Especially at the bar..lol! Food is great and so is the service. The price is right and you get your monies worth here. Open 7 days a week too!

Rick's Crab Trap: No Catch for the Early Bird

Sign out front

We drove back to Fort Walton Beach, and tried Rick's for the Early Bird Specials. On the way, we drove by "Okaloosa on Ice" which is an outdoor ice rink set up in a local park from Nov 18th to Jan 2nd. We had seen the Early Bird sign when we tried before to go here for dinner only to find they were closed on Tuesday. I'd heard that it was a good place to watch the sunset but in the winter the sunset is too early, and the weather is too cold to eat outside.

Ricks was almost under the Brooks bridge (relatively deserted and with very little parking), but they have ABSOLUTELY NO CONCEPT of early bird specials even though their sign out on the road advertises "Lunch and Early Bird Specials". They said the special was all you could eat fried shrimp for $19.00. But while that might be a special, it wasn't an early bird special because it was for all night.

In season, they also have:
    Pontoon rentals by 1/2 or day, sunset cruises, live entertainment

Their menu said:
    ** No seperate check on parties of 6 or more **
    ** Extra plate charge $2.95 **
    ** Parties of 6 or more 15% gratuity will be added **

Favorite Dish: Bob had a cup of seafood gumbo ($3) and a tossed salad with shrimp ($7.50) which came in a big blue-green plastic clamshell - very unstable.

I had the crabcake dinner - two crabcakes, 2 hush puppies, fries and cole slaw for $14.95. Then I had something called chocolate confusion for dessert ($3.25). This was a layer of chocolate cake, a layer of chocolate with the texture of cheesecake, topped with chocolate icing with chocolate chips in it.

Currently on their website is:

Entrees

Fish of the Day (Catfish or Snapper) $11.95
    Deviled Crabs (Two Deviled Crabs) $10.95
    Fried Oysters (10-12 Breaded Oysters) $12.95
    Fried Shrimp (12 Shrimp breaded in our special flour) $14.95
    Fried Soft-Shell Crab $14.95
    Fried Seafood Platter (Deviled Crab, Fish, 3 Oysters, 3 Shrimp, Clab strips, then topped with a Blue Crab) $16.95
    Crab Cakes (Two of Rick's Homemade Crab Cakes) $12.95
    Fried Shrimp and Oyster Combo $14.95

(Above Served with French Fries, Cole Slaw & Hush Puppies)

Steamed Shrimp and Steak $18.95

Grilled Chicken and Steamed Shrimp $12.95

Grilled Yellow Fin Tuna $14.95

Grilled Yellow Fin Tuna & Steamed Shrimp $16.95

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Whataburger: What? A Burger?

by grandmaR Updated Aug 1, 2007

Ladder clowns

This chain of the Southwest was started in Texas using five inch hamburger buns instead of the usual four inchers. The entrepreneur's idea was that everyone who had one would say "What a BURGER".

This was the first fast food place that ever gave us a pager to alert us that our burgers were ready. Since the night before, we had been at a regular restaurant that gave us little pieces of paper with numbers on them instead of pagers, I found this amusing.

While we were eating, we got to watch the folks outside on ladders (first and last pictures) repairing hurricane damage or putting up Xmas lights. I thought maybe one of them would fall and create a photo-op, but it didn't happen while we were there.

Favorite Dish: I had a bacon cheese Whataburger and Bob just had a plain Whataburger. The lunch cost $11.88.

• doug48's Profile Photo

staffs: historic restaurant

by doug48 Written Apr 13, 2009

staff's

staff's is the oldest family owned restaurant in the state of florida and has been at it's present location for over 90 years. my first visit to staff's was in 1958 when it was relatively new. very good local seafood and bar-b-que moderately priced. staff's is worth a stop when in fort walton beach.

• Fishing
    • Beaches

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Daddy's Barbecue

by Ewingjr98 Updated Nov 30, 2006

A Mary Esther original, Daddy's is well-known for having the best barbecue around. At lunch time this place is packed with Air Force members from nearby Hurlburt Field, so it must be good. I've always stuck with the sandwiches such as smoked sausage and pulled pork, but I hear they also offer great ribs. All of this in an authentic run-down shack in a dirk parking lot along the highway. What could be better?

Staff's Restaurant and Docie's Dock Bar & Grill: Theodores

by grandmaR Updated Dec 29, 2005

Dessert table

The original Staff family that settled in Camp Walton was headed by Pop Staff whose real first name was Theodore (according to the newspaper that they give you with the menu inside). He bought the hotel which is next door to the present day restaurant, and built a garage for the guests cars next to it. Pop Staff's brothers-in-law the Gerlachs came down from Indiana and made the garage into a car dealership for such cars as Oldsmobile, Star, and Studebaker. The Staffs had 8 children including twin daughters, and one of the twins married a local man named Docie Bass. Docie's real first name was Theodore. He was the one that took the garage/car dealership and made it into a restaurant.

I gather that Pop Staff was quite a fisherman and often supplied the restaurant with some of the fish he caught. In any case Docie Bass named the restaurant after his wife's family and the associated bar he named after himself.

The lady that gave us the list of good restaurants on Monday said that we might find Staff's to be more expensive, but it was a Fort Walton Beach institution. She suggested that we go and have a drink at the bar and look at the menu, and if we felt it was more than we wanted to pay, then we could leave after one drink.

Favorite Dish: We originally went to Rick's to see if they had Early Bird Specials, and the sign said they did, but they were closed on Monday and Tuesday. Staff's was open. They didn't have early bird specials like Sealand did but they did have specials.

I had the stuffed shrimp special for $19.95, which came with dark bread, a tossed salad (the dressing came in Mason jars - pictured), a piece of corn on the cob, boiled potatoes, and six shrimp with crab meat on top.

A dessert from the display table (top picture) was also included in the price. I got lemon meringue pie.

Bob had a tossed salad with shrimp (pictured) for $15.95 and he had carrot cake for dessert. The bill after tax was added was $37.

Sealand: Named for a Container Ship

Bob's Early Bird Prime Rib $10.95

When we went to the condo meeting to tell us about the area, the lady that was doing the presentation recommended this restaurant as one that had early bird specials and was reasonable.

The restaurant was named for the ship (probably one of the Sealand-Marek group) that picked up the proprietor when he was escaping from Viet Nam in a boat. Our informant told us about the rescue and there was a posted copy of an newspaper article about it. She also told us about the family history - I took a picture of the part of the menu which talks about that (photo 5)

It is right on the main highway (photo 3). Apparently they also do take-out.

Favorite Dish: They were expecting a large party of 60 but they seated us in the back. They had early bird specials from 4:30 to 6:30 for $10.95 (photo 4). Tables had nice white tablecloths and there were maroon cloth napkins. Our booth had a mirror on the wall behind it.

Bob got prime rib and I got chicken parmesan (photo 2). Each came with a vegetable or potato and a salad and bread (nice crusty rolls). Bob got a baked potato, and I got steamed rice. After tax the bill was $23.31

Chick-fil-A: Not Hamburgers

Bob going into the Chick-Fil-A

In 1946, Truett Cathy opened the Dwarf Grill in Hapeville, a suburb of Atlanta. The first Chick-fil-A was opened in Atlanta's Greenbriar Mall in 1967. Chick-fil-A expanded in GA and SC until in 2000 they had more than $1 billion system-wide sales. By 2003, Chick-fil-A had expanded to the Western US (UT, AZ and CA). They are always closed on Sunday.

We wanted to have lunch after we drove over the Butler bridge, and Bob said he had never been to Chick-Fil-A, so we stopped there. I had been to Chick-Fil-A previously.

I suppose technically this particular restaurant is in Destin, but there are two in Fort Walton Beach proper. This one had a playland for the kids with it - outdoors. The other two are:

Santa Rosa Mall - Unit #265
    300 Mary Esther Cut-Off
    Mary Esther, FL 32569
    850/244-1722

Beal Parkway FSU - Unit #1447
    743 Beal Parkway, NW
    Ft. Walton Beach, FL 32547
    850/315-2697

While we were eating in the restaurant, a man came around and gave us cards which said he was a deaf mute and asked for $1 for 'better communication'. I gave the card back to him without the $1. I've never been approached by a panhandler actually inside a restaurant before.

Favorite Dish: Chick-fil-A has mostly chicken sandwiches, nuggets and strips. They also have wraps and salads. No hamburger. They have fries or you can substitute a fresh fruit cup for an additional 55 cents. A picture of a fruit cup from my previous visit is photo #4, and carrot salad from a previous visit is #5.

Classics * Chick-fil-A® Chicken Sandwich * Chick-fil-A® Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich * Chick-fil-A® Chargrilled Chicken Club Sandwich * Chick-fil-A® Chicken Salad Sandwich * Chick-fil-A Chick-n-Strips® (4 or 6-count) * Chick-fil-A® Nuggets (4-6 in Kid's Meal or 8-12 pack)

Desserts * Icedream® Cup * Icedream® Cone * Chick-fil-A® Cheesecake * Chick-fil-A® Lemon Pie *

For lunch, Bob had chicken nuggets and I had a chicken strip salad (pictured) for a total lunchtime bill of $9.95

Sonny's Real Pit BBQ: Fast Service

by grandmaR Updated Feb 12, 2008

Short Ration $4.99

Floyd "Sonny" Tillman and his wife, Lucille, founded Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q in Gainesville, Florida. The year was 1968. We first came across Sonny's when we ate lunch in the Tallahassee area on the way down to Fort Walton Beach. But there's one of them in Fort Walton Beach too.

Favorite Dish: We had what they called a "Short Ration" for $4.99. I had a pork sandwich with Brunswick Stew, fries and cole slaw and Bob had a beef sandwich with the same. The food came VERY quickly (we were walking in at 11:40 and we had our food by 11:50). This would have been cheap except the iced tea was $1.29 each (very big ones). Lunch was $14.36.

They had a large interesting salad bar, but we didn't have that, and didn't have dessert either.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Coach N Four: Who Needs High Tech?

by grandmaR Updated Jun 27, 2006

Early bird special - small rib eye $12.95

After we ate lunch at What-a-Burger, which is the only fast food restaurant I've ever been in that gave us a pager so that we could come and pick up our orders when they were ready, we went back to the unit. That night we finally found our way to the Coach-N-Four which the lady at the condo recommended as having an Early Bird Special. And this time, they actually DID have Early Bird Specials.

The place was exceedingly popular and even though we got here early it was crowded with lots of families waiting in line and a lot of cars in the parking lot. We were given a little piece of paper with a number on it - no pagers here. We were called in fairly short order because most of the people there were large groups.

Favorite Dish: We both had the small (8 oz) ribeye ($12.95), which came with a salad, a side, and a little cup of lime sherbert. I also had the Cookies and Cream Cake for $4.00. We were quite happy with the food, and the total bill before tip was only $26.40.

However Groo says:
    The coach n four is a ponderosa quality steakhouse. Meat cuts were thin and very fatty. The onion rings were over breaded and lacked flavor. Outback is a serious step up from this. If you are accustomed to steakhouses, this is probably not for you.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Anglers

by Ewingjr98 Written Jul 24, 2006

Anglers is a great seafood restaurant located in Fort Walton Beach on Okaloosa Island. I have been here many times since they opened in 1999 and I'm always satisfied. Anglers has seats indoors and along the water on the deck. Their menu has a variety of all things seafood from fried shrimp baskets to snow crab legs and everything in between.

La Bamba: One of Three

by grandmaR Written Dec 27, 2005

Combination A $6.59

I saw a menu for a Mexican restaurant stuck in the phone book where we were staying. The name had something to do with good taste. I thought we had passed it when we went out to dinner on our first night. I told Bob it was across the street.

Bob thought it was near enough to walk to, but it wasn't *that* close (it was across the street and down about a half mile) and it was raining. It turned out that the restaurant menu I saw wasn't the one I had seen.

This particular restaurant turns out to have three branches with the same name. In addition to the one we ate at there is one in DeFuniak Springs and one in Crestview.

They had a mockup at the entrance of all the desserts. This is a sensible idea. Unfortunately I didn't see it until we were leaving.

Favorite Dish: I had the #46 - Quesadilla Rellena ($8.99), which was very good. This is my new favorite. (I used to always get chili relino

Bob had the Combination A (Taco and Enchilada with rice, refried beans and melted cheese for $6.59).

I had my usual fried ice cream, and Bob couldn't resist having one too even though he is lactose intolerant.

This cost us $27.99

Instant Answers: Fort Walton Beach

Comments

Fort Walton Beach Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Fort Walton Beach restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fort Walton Beach sightseeing.

View all Fort Walton Beach hotels