Fort Walton Beach Things to Do

Best Rated Things to Do in Fort Walton Beach

Heritage Park~

by Yaqui Updated Apr 8, 2012

Camp Walton Schoolhouse 1912

Called the Heritage Park now, you can get a map when you visit the Indian Temple Mound Musuem. It illustrates where each historical building are and when it they were built. Really cool I think. It doesn't cost anything to walk around yourself and to be able to get out into the fresh Ft Walton beach weather which was wonderful. It was cold then when I was visiting, but I enjoyed it anyways. So stop by there and get your self a map! Please see my off the beaten path tips for more info.

Indian Temple Mound Museum

by Yaqui Updated Apr 8, 2012

I feel so lucky to come from such a rich heritage and I am very proud of where I come from. We all come from different tribe sort to speak of, but our descendants are the same. I missed visiting this place the last time I was in Ft. Walton. I was going to make a point to see it so I made sure I made extra time for my stay. It is filled with some wonderful artifacts and to actually stand on a mound where there was an actual ceremonial temple (800 AD to 1500 AD). I think you will enjoy it, but the folks that manage the museums are not very nice.

Oklaoosa Island Boardwalk

by Yaqui Updated Jun 23, 2008

From afar

This pier is a centerpiece of much of the entertainment that dominates this particular area. Three resturaunts are located right on it, shops, nightly entertainment, and the beach patrol. It is a great way to spend a lovley evening just walking along it and seeing the sunset or watching the surfers. so enjoy! Restrooms are available also.

8am-dusk

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Stick your toes in the soft white beautiful sand!

by Yaqui Written May 27, 2004

Beautiful anyways!

I don't care what type of weather is going on! You must venture down to the beach and just take in the beautiful white sand. I had never seen white sand before. It was rainy and gloomy the whole time I was there, but I made a point to see the beach in what daylight there was and at night. Just beautiful!

Great for everyone!

by Yaqui Updated Apr 9, 2006

~ Gulfarium ~
    This is the second oldest marine park in America. It has Atlantic bottlenose dolphins, California sea lions, Peruvian penguins, Ridley turtles and other wonderful 14 Gulf-edged exhibits. You must stay for the dolphin show.

My hotel was next to this, so instead of waking up to rooster crowing, I woke up seashore style. Moaning Seals........LOL!
    Gotta to love it:-)))))

• lilbunnygirl's Profile Photo

Dolphins and Otters and Sea Lions, Oh My!

by lilbunnygirl Updated Feb 19, 2004

Awwww!

I love animals. Really. It's embarrassing the way I start squealing when I see something cute. I will just be honest here and paste in the description of my trip there that I wrote the day after for my friends.

Went to the Gulfarium yesterday, which was so much fun. We got to see a baby dolphin! She is 5 months old and her name is Lily! Watching her swim around the tank and play with her mom and dad and aunt was one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

She had a soccer ball that she was tossing around just like a puppy. The best part was when she was swimming with her mommy, and practicing jumps. They'd swim together down to the bottom of the pool and then as Lily would leap, Deliliah would push her with her head to help her go higher. It was so awesome to watch them interacting so naturally like that.

The Gulfarium is quite small, it's apparently the oldest marine park in the world, so you get a really up close experience. Awesome.

We also watched the sea lion show, I love how they clap their flippers for themselves when everyone else claps. And hold out their flippers for a high five from the trainer.

They have 2 river otters there, and we got to see them being fed. The guy dumps in a bucket of water with tiny live fish, and the otters chase the fish around their little pool to eat. When the male saw the guy carrying the bucket, he stood straight up against the glass of his enclosure and jumped up and down! He knew that was the fishman!

After the multi-species show, where we got to see 2 big male dolphins and a funny fat sea lion play together, we hung around by the side of the pool because I'd heard they often let a couple people pet the dolphins afterwards. Sure enough, us and a little boy were the only people standing there looking hopeful!

The trainer whistled the dolphins over and they let us pet their silky smooth heads while they grinned at us! It was so awesome to really get to look into their sweet faces and rub their heads, you could tell how much they enjoy being petted!

Air Force Armament Museum

by Yaqui Updated Apr 16, 2006

Being an ex-AF I wanted to make the time this last trip to Florida to see this museum. It all dates me to no-end, but I can actually remember some of the weapons. The museum has lots of wonderful display on two floors and many actual retired aircraft outside. Lots of wonderful volunteers take the time to ensure that everything is displayed properly. The gent at the front door was a hoot.......lol!

The Beach - John Beasley Wayside Park

by grandmaR Updated Feb 27, 2006

tire tracks on the sand

This is an Okaloosa park, which is free and parking is also free. It is just a few yards from the Okaloosa Boardwalk.

Hours: Daily 6am-8:30pm

The visitor's center is a large weathered-wood building with hipped metal roof and it houses changing areas and restrooms for men and women, along with vending machines. Sheltered picnic tables welcome families, and lifeguards are posted during the tourist season.. Offers surfing, diving and snorkeling.

When I asked at the Okaloosa Island Visitor's Center who John Beasley was, they said he was one of the pioneer settlers in the region. I have not been able to find out any other information about him.

• Water Sports

Dolphins at the Gulfarium

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Jumping through a hoop

When it was announced, we went to see the Dolphin show (four bottlenosed dolphins including one two year old who was born at the Gulfarium).

We weren't supposed to stand up during the show, so I went up to the top seat where no one would be behind me. There was quite a brisk wind blowing through at that point, and I was glad to have my winter coat with a hood. There was a roof over the bleachers, but they were not enclosed. Some of the kids (and their parents) were completely inadequately dressed for a December day outdoors in Fort Walton Beach. Bob was down farther in the stands where it was warmer.

We both got some terrific pictures of the dolphins leaping as much as 25 feet out of the water. They jump through hoops (first photo), all four jumped at once (photo 3) and one of them took a fish from the trainer's mouth (photo 4). They train the dolphins to come out on a platform (photo 2) so they can have a physical exam. At the close of the show they all came up to the surface and chittered at us (photo 5).

At this time admissions are 7 days a week from 9 to 4 and the park closes at 6. When we were there in December, they were closed Monday and Tuesday.

General Admission Rates

* Adults (ages 12-61): $17.50
    * Seniors (age 62 and over) $15.50
    * Children (ages 4-11) $10.50
    * Ages 3 and under are free when accompanied by a parent paying the regular rate.

Six percent Florida state sales tax will be added to all admissions and fees. Rates are subject to change without notice. Visa and MasterCard accepted in admissions and gift shop. Snack bar accepts cash only.

• Eco-Tourism

Sea Lion Show at the Gulfarium

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Balancing a ball

We walked past the sea lion performance area on the way to the Dune Lagoon where they were feeding the brown pelicans. The sea lions were sitting on some of the platforms kind of sleeping. (photo 2)

After the dolphin show, we had the Sea Lion show. The girl trainer had one adult and a baby (named Libby - photo 5) up on their little stands, and there was a boy who had an adult on the other side. I thought their most spectacular trick was balancing a ball on the nose while standing on the front flippers with a tail in the air. They also did flips and spins and played basketball, and tossed around a Frisbee. They are funny when they clap and bark.

They weren't doing the MSP (Multi-Species) Show when we were there. In this show Bottlenose Dolphins and a California Sea Lion perform together. We got $1.00 off the admission price because this show wasn't running.

The rehabilitation pools were behind the bleachers for the Sea Lion show, and behind that was the Seal and Sea Lion Rookery, so after the Sea Lion show we went over there but I couldn't really tell which was which.

In the summer the park is open 7 days a week Admissions: 9:00am until 4:00pm. Park closes at 6:00pm, but check with the website or phone number

General Admission Rates

* Adults (ages 12-61): $17.50
    * Seniors (age 62 and over) $15.50
    * Children (ages 4-11) $10.50

Six percent Florida state sales tax will be added to all admissions and fees.

• Eco-Tourism

okaloosa island pier

okaloosa island pier

located in central fort walton beach is the okaloosa island fishing pier. a great place to fish or watch the sunset over the gulf of mexico. next to the pier is the fort walton beach boardwalk which has a nice collection of restaurants and bars.

• Fishing

the beach

fort walton beach

fort walton beach is known for it's beautiful white sand gulf beach. in the city of fort walton beach there are several public beach accesses. the fort walton "emerald coast" is world famous for it's white sand beach and emerald green water.

• Golf
    • Fishing

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Visit Santa Rosa Island

by Ewingjr98 Updated Nov 30, 2006

Santa Rosa Island in the distance

Santa Rosa Island stretches some 40 miles along the Florida panhandle from Pensacola to Destin. It includes Fort Dickens State Park, Gulf Islands National Seashore, part of Eglin Air Force Base, as well as sections of the towns of Fort Walton Beach, Navarre, and Little Sabine Bay. Access tot he island is limited to just 3 bridges, one in each town. The Fort Walton Beach section is isolated from the rest of the island, but offers some of the more popular bars and restaurants including Fudpuckers and Anglers. There is also a gentlemen's club, a children's park, boats for rent and all kinds of other entertainment.

gulfarium

gulfarium

the gulfarium is fort walton beach's aquarium. this beachside aquarium has dolphin shows and a living sea tank. if you are expecting seaworld you will be disapointed but this a very nice place to take children when in the fort walton beach area.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Downtown Fort Walton Beach

by Ewingjr98 Written Jul 24, 2006

Non-historic fountain... or is it?

Downtown FWB has lots to do from food and ice cream to small hotels, pool halls, fitness centers, and other unique places. There all also a few historic points of interest such as the Indian mounds. It won't keep you busy for your whole vacation, but you could probably spend most of a day here.

Instant Answers: Fort Walton Beach

Comments

Fort Walton Beach Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Fort Walton Beach things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fort Walton Beach sightseeing.

View all Fort Walton Beach hotels