Gainesville Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Gainesville

Satchel's Pizza: Very unique pizza place

by Katmosphere Written Jun 29, 2006

satchels pizza entrance

When I first walked up to this place from the parking lot, I could not wait to see more than the glimpse from the street. The front dining patio area is in a giant overgrown garden with sunflowers blooming and huge cabbage looking plants. There is an old van parked on the front lawn and there are actually two tables to sit at inside the van!! We sat there. There is also a little shop on the premises that sells just really unique things.

Favorite Dish: Not only was the place really cool, but the food was FANTASTIC!! my son and I both had the lunch special--a salad with a mix of red and green lettuce, cukes, apples, carrots, tomatoes, almonds, sunflower seeds and a walnut for good luck. With the special comes a slice of pizza, I had spinach and ricotta, my son had artichoke and red pepper. omg, this was the best pizza i have had in YEARS...

Saigon Legend: Great Vietnamese food

by Katmosphere Written Mar 23, 2006

This is a small restaurant, very close to the campus of the University of Florida. Laid back and casual, but very good Vietnamese food.

Favorite Dish: I had the Shrimp and Sweet potato cake. Flour mixed with shredded sweet potatoes and shrimp, served with Vietnamese sauce. It was light and hit the spot.

• Katmosphere's Profile Photo

Liquid Ginger: The best of fusion in Gainesville!

by Katmosphere Written Jul 14, 2006

It's trendy but it's comfortable and the food is FANTASTIC.

Favorite Dish: I had the Beef Bogodo--It was strips of beef in a teryaki style sauce, it melted in my mouth. My son had the eggplant and garlic--equally as yummy. We will ABSOLUTELY be going back here again, its my favorite restaurant so far..

Chop Stix Cafe: Good Asian food

by Katmosphere Written Jun 8, 2006

Chopstix restaurant

I love this place and have eaten there several times with my kids. You can get some great veggie dishes and it's on a lake with a view from every table. Watch out for the alligators though, if you decide to walk around the lake..
    They also have a really great vegetarian selection on their menu.

Favorite Dish: I love the Sesame Eggplant. I order it with no sugar, msg, or cornstarch.

• Erin09340's Profile Photo

Harry's: The Best Meal

by Erin09340 Written Aug 7, 2005

Me and Uncle Phil

Harry's was fantastic. We went there for lunch and loved it so much, we tried to convince our friends to return later that night for dinner.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the fried grit cake with shrimp and scallops in a tasso cream sauce. So scrumptious and yummy. I couldn't get enough. My husband was equally thrilled with his crabcakes with a side of red beans and rice. The fried green tomato appetizers were terrific too.

• Chopstix Pan Asian: It's amazing!

by macguys Written Dec 17, 2002

Usually a pan - anything resturant is not my cup of tea, but this place is amazing...overlooking a lake with gators swimming by, the chef prepares the best of Thai, Korean, Japanese, and rural Chinese dishes with a emphasis on soups and noodles.

Favorite Dish: pad thai and thai lettuce rolls.

leonardo's: pizza

leonardo's pizza

leonardo's pizza is a gainesville institution. they cater to the college crowd and offer a number of types of pizza that you can buy by the slice. great place to stop by for a quick inexpensive lunch when in gainesville.

bono's: barbecue

by doug48 Updated Apr 4, 2011

bono's barbecue

bono's barbecue was established in jacksonville in 1949. they are now a regional chain with numerous locations in florida. they specialize in chopped pork barbecue. they also have ribs and chicken. in my opinion not the best barbecue in the south but they serve good food at moderate prices.

Favorite Dish: chopped pork plate or sandwich.

harry's: cajun

harry's bar and grill

harry's seafood, bar and grill is a very good new orleans style restaurant and bar in downtown gainesville. located near city hall and the alachua county court house the clientele is older that most of the restaurants and bars in gainesville. i recommend this restaurant and bar when in gainesville.

• doug48's Profile Photo

the swamp: burgers and beer

the swamp restaurant

the swamp is located on university ave. in the heart of the college area across the street from the university of florida. basically a student hangout but they serve good burgers and sandwiches. a good place to have lunch in the student area of gainesville.

sonny's: barbecue

by doug48 Updated Oct 20, 2007

sonny's barbecue

sonny's was established in gainesville in 1968. today it is a regional chain with numerous locations in florida and georgia. they specialize in sliced pork and beef barbeque as well as chicken and ribs. in my opinion not the best barbecue in the south but still good food moderately priced. sonny's has three locations in gainesville.

Favorite Dish: pulled pork plate or sandwich.

• pulgaron's Profile Photo

The Texas Road House: The Texas Road House

by pulgaron Written Aug 24, 2002

It is relatively cheap. This is not a top rated steak place. They serve a standard quality meat. The service is so so. they are all kids,but then again this a university town. They have cheap beer. There is always a boiled peanut bucket at every table. Good key lime pie and it's agood place to take your student for dinner. Saw dust on the floor. Good steak menu variety.

Favorite Dish: The T-Bone steak

• pulgaron's Profile Photo

The Ale House: The Ale House

by pulgaron Written Aug 24, 2002

Cheap menu items. Every nite a beer special. Nice pool tables. Good party atmosphere. Young crowd. This chain sports bar has locations in a lot of major cities. You may be familiar with them.

Favorite Dish: The cheese and chicken chips. the chicken wings. The fish sandwich. The chocolate brownie sunday. The $5.00 Ice House picthcer of beer.

• Chop Stix: What a Disappointment!

by spygirlcia Written Jan 25, 2007

We have been exploring Gainesville since we dine out nightly and tire of our Ocala restaurants.

Despite glowing reviews and a home page with lovely photos, Chop Stix is shabby and sad. The water view that is touted by many is marred by a dirty deck strewn with debris.

My companion ordered sushi (salmon, red snapper and yellow tail) and a bento box meal while I selected two specialty rolls. My friend's Miso soup was excellent so we were hopeful that the food would compensate for the shop worn decor and dismal view.

Alas, the soup was the only highlight of the meal. The soft-shelled crab in my roll was in such minute quantity that it was almost undetectable but still managed to taste slightly *off*. I have NEVER seen such a small amount of filling in a specialty roll. The eel roll looked more promising though it was so heavily sauced that the sauce ran down the sides of each slice. It was the worst eel roll I have ever encountered.

My friend's bento box and sushi were delivered to the table. The red snapper was laid flat atop the rice, instead of being draped, because it was frozen solid. The server took the box away and returned with the snapper removed (perhaps to be returned after it defrosted). A whiff of the salmon yielded a pungent aroma. The yellow tail was nearly as strong. As sushi fans know, fish should NOT smell *fishy*.

There was a dark brown item in her box that resembled a chunk of petrified wood. It was supposed to be the fried wonton.

We made our sushi complaints known. Our server said I had not dipped my rolls in soy sauce so that was why they did not taste right -- no soy saucers had been provided. At any rate, I don't use soy with sauced rolls like eel. A soy saucer was produced later for the bento box meal and sushi. Soy sauce *might* have masked the taste of the less-than-fresh salmon and yellow tail.

We did not bother complaining further but asked for the check and left the food on the table. We will issue a charge-back with the credit card company.

Favorite Dish: Miso soup...eat it and run.

• edss's Profile Photo

Merlion Singapore Cuisine: Best value, tasty asian food, classy interior!

by edss Written Sep 15, 2007
    Interior of Merlion

Don't let the modest exterior and prices fool you. This place is really nice inside with fish tanks, a pond, and very classy decorating. It is fancy enough for dates and anniversaries. We went for lunch and most of the specials were only $5.50 and this included soup, a very nice salad, spring roll, main course, and a small dessert. Although the regular menu includes vegetarian options, they also have a separate menu with even more vegetarian options. Everything we had was very tasty including their tofu and chicken. The spring rolls were nice and crisp, the salad was fresh, and the soup was definitely made there. They also have tea time from noon to 5pm where you can get scones, sandwiches, and a pot of tea of your choice. I can't wait to go back to try another dish. Service was friendly and prompt as well. One thing to remember though is that their Thai iced tea ($1.50) is not the typical. It has no sweetened condensed milk, instead it is a very good iced tea (from Thai tea leaves) which you can add half and half to. By the way they also have wireless internet.

Favorite Dish: I really liked the communist soup which had a great flavor and tender beef. The dessert (sesame ball) was a nice ending to the meal.

• School Holidays
    • Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Gainesville

Comments

Gainesville Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Gainesville restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gainesville sightseeing.