Gainesville Things to Do

• Things to Do
    by justluckie
    The bottom of the devils millhopper
    by grasshopper_6
    entrance to morningside nature center
    by grasshopper_6

Best Rated Things to Do in Gainesville

• grasshopper_6's Profile Photo

The Hipp - Live Theater downtown

by grasshopper_6 Written Oct 1, 2013

Catch a show at the Hippodrome - local professional theater housed in the historic federal building downtown. "Dont Dress For Dinner" was playing during our visit. The Hipp also houses student and professional cinema and visual art programs,

The highlight at the Hippodrome - in my opinion - comes during the holiday season during their annual production of " A Christmas Carol".

• Festivals
    • Theater Travel

• justluckie's Profile Photo

Butterfly Rainforest

by justluckie Updated Aug 25, 2009

We had a blast going here probably would have stayed for hours if it wasn't so hot in the butterfly house. It was fun more for us than our 5 yr old she got bored after the first 20 minutes. I loved watching all the butterflies and having them land on us. We will be going back to this the cost wasn't bad and if you have a museum membership it is free to get in.

• Photography

• tampa_shawn's Profile Photo

Go for a Bike Ride

by tampa_shawn Written Sep 18, 2008
    Note the wide bike lane here on the UF campus

I have traveled around the world and I don't think I've ever seen a town that is more bike friendly.

This town has bike trails and bike lanes EVERYWHERE. I also noticed a large number to bike racks...so bring your bike and a good lock and explore the area on bike. If I lived here I'd be using my bike instead of my car

Map my ride....Gainesville locals map out their favorite area bike rides

Here are some of my favorite bike trails....see the websites below each link for more information

One of the paved prettiest bike rides is down 441 are the Paynes Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park Trails

Another great ride is Gainesville - Hawthorne Rail Trail, Florida which is 16 miles and has bathrooms around the route

There are also a large number of off-road trails (especially 45 minutes south in Ocala)

• kozmic9's Profile Photo

Butterfly Rainforest at University of Florida

by kozmic9 Updated May 14, 2007

Tons of butterflies. There is a large screened in enclosure with lots of butterflies along with exotic plants. Inside the museum there is a part that shows the life cycle of the butterflies and the lab where they cultivate them.

• Hippodrome State Theater

by patch87939 Written Aug 26, 2002

This is a professional theater in the heart of downtown in an historic restored building. The plays are outstanding in a setting that is small, quaint and always enchanting. The experience will be memorable!!

• Katmosphere's Profile Photo

Florida museum of Natural History

by Katmosphere Written Jul 14, 2006

This is a very informative glimpse into the evolution of Florida. From the fossils to the Indians-I loved it.

Instant Answers: Gainesville

Comments

Gainesville Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Gainesville things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gainesville sightseeing.