Hollywood Warnings and Dangers

Sage, 'the man', at the beach
    by kymbanm

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Hollywood

• kymbanm's Profile Photo

Lifeguards are our friends ....

by kymbanm Updated Sep 18, 2005

Lifeguard shack ...

Be careful when the lifeguards are off duty, and when they are, listen to them .. they know the currents and dangers of the water along this coastline.

The two lifeguards that manned the posts near my daily walk were personable and helpful. One was setting up and not yet officially on duty - she took my ignorant self a few yards down the beack to show me what a local Man-O-War looked like when they washed up dead on the beach. She also taught me about the dangers of touching these critters as their toxins are still quite active and painful should you touch them with bare skin.

The other flagged me over ... his station was on a narrow stretch of beach and quite close to the road ..... he wanted to scratch Sage the human in a dog suit, and give him a treat! He also mentioned he'd been seeing me, and since we hadn't yet met, he just wanted to say hi. The whole time we chatted he kept scanning the water - keeping an eye on the 2 swimmers heading out to the sandbar ....... as we talked he also taught me about local water critters, curents and helped me decipher the warning flags that are posted to let swimmers know about issues that could effect their safety :)

While I walked the beach during my stay in Hollywood, every lifegaurd was friendly, helpful, yet professional and consciencious.

During the off season, they are not posted at everystation - so if you are traveling w/ wee ones, walk a little further to be sure you are near a lifeguard when your kids are in the water :)

• kymbanm's Profile Photo

Dogs on the beach ....

by kymbanm Written Feb 8, 2005

Sage, 'the man', at the beach

In Hollywood they are very strict about dogs not being allowed on the beach, or the boardwalk, during peak public use hours. If seen by officials, you can be up for a 50$ fine - better to wait until after these peak hours, and then slide onto the beach with your pooch when they are more lax .. usually after 5:30pm :)

• doug48's Profile Photo

crime

by doug48 Written Jan 15, 2009

like all southeast florida towns crime is a problem. of all of the south florida beach towns hollywood is one of the safest. there is very little crime in the downtown shopping area and on hollywood beach. as a general rule the best part of hollywood is east of US 1. when staying in hollywood i suggest booking a hotel on hollywood beach.

• Business Travel
    • National/State Park

• Ripped off at Jakes on the Beach

by Jimcocle Written Jun 17, 2014

Worst Service - Worst Food

Alpo makes a better Ceviche. Jake calls it San Francisco Style however this ceviche is inedible and an insult to San Francisco. The waiter was too happy to correct my pronunciation of "ceviche" with his French pronunciation. I couldn’t believe this punk. The same punk waiter walks away while you are talking.

The first 3 items we ordered they did not have. The Cesar salad was iceberg lettuce only.

It rained and the whole staff gathered their tables out of the rain while my wife and I took three trips to get our grotesque food and drink inside, not one ounce of help by Jake's staff.

The owner admitted that the service at Jakes is terrible but he still charged me 18% of a $120 bill for nonexistent service.

The OWNER told me that my complaints did not mean *** because it won't hurt his business.

Lose your money, your patience and worst off lose your vacation at Jakes of Hollywood Beach Florida.

Instant Answers: Hollywood

Comments

Hollywood Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Hollywood warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hollywood sightseeing.