Know about this? Rate It!
Ride Florida's only public auto ferry
The St. Johns River Ferry (also called the Mayport Ferry) is the only remaining public auto ferry in Florida. Part of scenic route A1A, the ferry transports cars and pedestrians across the St. Johns River between the coastal Jacksonville neighborhoods of Mayport Village and Ft. George Island.
Once you've parked and the ferry is in motion, you can get out of your car and enjoy a wonderful boat cruise across the entrance to Jacksonville's busy shipping channel. (Don't be surprised to see a towering luxury cruise ship or a cargo ship stacked with truck trailers heading to or from port during your ride). When approaching the opposite ferry landing you'll likely be welcomed by a flock of goofy looking pelicans perched along the docks.
If you would like to watch the ferry while you dine, the Sanddollar, on Ft. George Island is a wonderful restaurant with big picture windows overlooking the river, while Singleton's is a legendary "shrimp shack" on the Mayport side that has long been a favorite of locals, visitors and travel critics alike.
The ferry departs daily on the hour and half-hour from Mayport Village and every quarter-past and quarter-til from Ft. George Island. The cost for the average 2-axle car is $2.75 (one way).
- Family Travel
- Sailing and Boating
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
Jacksonville Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Wolfe Island Hotels
- Seni Gueye Hotels
- Bay Minette
- Estado de Chihuahua Hotels
- Isola di Procida
- Grande Gaube Hotels
- Boston's Neighborhoods
- Hvar Off The Beaten Path
- Cavtat Off The Beaten Path
- New Zealand Off The Beaten Path
- Twizel Off The Beaten Path
- Gällivare Off The Beaten Path
- Mont-Tremblant Off The Beaten Path
- Vigan Off The Beaten Path
- Aswan Off The Beaten Path
- Sucre Off The Beaten Path
- Nin Off The Beaten Path
- Province of Bohol Off The Beaten Path