Places to eat in Jacksonville

• My petit sirloin, zuchinni  mashed potatoes $11.99
    My petit sirloin, zuchinni mashed...
  • The three remaining bisquits after I ate one
    The three remaining bisquits after I ate...
    Ruby Tuesday sign

Most Viewed Restaurants in Jacksonville

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Fox Restaurant: Foxy Local Place

by BruceDunning Updated Jun 13, 2011

Looking across the street, we wished we would have eaten there instead of Brick restaurant. Too late now. From what I read, all the locals come here for good food, quality made and plentiful servings at a decent price. What else would you want?

Favorite Dish: I believe a lot is better than competitor

Pic of the sign View from the street

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Brick Resaurant: Yuppie place to be Seen

by BruceDunning Updated Jun 11, 2011

Overall the food was at best okay, but surely not great. WE had soup of the day-tomato which was hardly warm, and crab cake that had a lot of crust and way too much bread. Service sucked in that we waited for 1 1/2 hours for our lunch, and the excuse is a big order came in just before us. Well, our wait is like the whole place got an order before us. The waitress was embarrassed to explain anymore, so she never showed up. All price were too steep, especially for what you got served.

Favorite Dish: Noe of it.

From of restaurant on St. John's Menu of items Menu of items

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Denny's Diner: Nice Chain Restaurant

by Basaic Written Apr 12, 2011

I like the Denny's Diners because you know what to expect and the diners have nostalgic decor inside. The staff here was good especially my waitress (Tamesha). The menu was typical for a Denny's. $13 as of April 2011.

Favorite Dish: I really enjoyed the Lemon Buttered Tilapia. They offered sautéed spinach as a side dish and it was very tasty.

Denny's

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Millhouse Steakhouse: Great Steaks and Seafood

by Basaic Written Apr 12, 2011

Millhouse Steakhouse looked nice from the outside and the inside did not disappoint me either. The staff was professional and friendly. The menu had a wide variety of dishes to include steak, ribs, chicken, seafood, pasta and burgers. They also serve wine and cocktails. $13.89 as of April 2011.

Favorite Dish: I had the Cajun Jambalaya Pasta which is Sautéed Shrimp, Baby Scallops, Black Mussels, Andouille Sausage, Chicken, Tomatoes, Peppers, Onions, Creole Seasonings, over Rice. Large protion and very tasty!

Millhouse Steakhouse
    • Wine Tasting

• doug48's Profile Photo

blue fish: seafood

by doug48 Written May 28, 2010

the blue fish is a very good cafe style restaurant in the avondale section of jacksonville. blue fish offers seafood and eclectic american cuisine. in my opinion one of the better restaurants in jacksonville.

the blue fish
    • Architecture

• Joseph's Pizza: Pizza gives Chicago and NY a run 4 their pepperoni

by beachtrvler Written Apr 22, 2008

I was so excited when someone at the airport led me to Joseph's, I had to check out both locations while in jacksonville. I arrived JIA around 5 and was starving. A kind woman who worked at the Delta desk told me about JOsephs and gave me directions to the restaurant on Main Street. Luckily, this was only 10 minutes from the airport!! The restaurant had an old world feel with friendly, southern hospitality and great food. I was impressed, that the server new about the restaurant's history. It has been in the same location since 1956. She then helped me to choose from a large menu and answered all of my questions about the food. I ended up ordering a pizza with the works. Apparently this pizza, called the Joseph's special won a national award for best pizza. ah.. the works minus the anchovies!! YUM YUM.. So.. then as the week went on, I.. well... hate to admit.. but NEEDED another pizza. This time I met up with some friends from Gainesville and we all went to Joseph's at the beach. The area was atlantic beach. this location was excellent as well. the staff were great and the ambience more beachy. Im addicted and Im going back to jacksonville next month.... and josephs too. OH.. and the cutest thing at the Beach restaurant - people were able to eat outside with their pets and there was a water fountain for dogs and the server gave the dogs treats!... gosh.. i love FL

Favorite Dish: JOseph's special minus anchovies - pepperoni, ham, onions, cheese, beef, sausage, green pepper, ...etc.. etc.. etc..

• Beaches
    • Travel with Pets

• doug48's Profile Photo

plaza III: steakhouse

by doug48 Updated Mar 22, 2008

the plaza III steakhouse is located in the hyatt regency hotel in downtown jacksonville. the plaza III originated in kansas city and has been voted one of the top 10 steakhouses in america. like most better steakhouse they offer steaks and seafood. the plaza III is one of the better restaurants in jacksonville. reservations are recommended.

plaza III steakhouse
    • Business Travel

• HMS Shwab's: Interesting Concept. POOR delivery.

by pixieflttr Written Jun 13, 2007

Interesting on the exterior w Art Deco letters & "Soda Fountain and Grill" on sign. Very open inside w counter & numerous tables & booths. Video jukebox which plays loudly. No one greeted us at the door. When directed to sit wherever by an employee on break, no menus were given.

Employees smoking outside entrance & one running out to a person leaving in a vehicle and a woman at the 'soda fountain' who was eating & doing prep work.

After 10 minutes, another couple came in & was greeted & seated. Within 10 minutes, they had their drinks and their orders. The server came over to let us know that our meals would be up soon. I asked what was taking so long & said "they get lazy when we are slow". A few minutes later ours arrived.

We had steak bites, a grilled cheese & a grilled cheese & tomato add bacon. The steak bites, bite-size pieces of steak grilled. They looked good as did the grilled cheese. The grilled cheese, tomato add bacon had no tomato. Took my plate back & returned minutes later with same plate & sandwich but now the halves had a tomato slice & a toothpick. I asked if they were grilled and she said, "I think so". They were not. I sent it back, very frustrated, & said I didn't want it at all.
    She took it back & then told me the sandwich was free & asked if I wanted a free one to go. I asked for the manager & the woman at the counter came over. She said, "I don't know what else you want me to do. After the second time you complained, we took it off your check." She didn't come to the table to try to do some service recovery without being asked. She said that all of their food is fresh. She said, well they have to cut the sirloin as I don't buy it like that. And I checked your ticket time & it was only 22 minutes. I asked for the check.

The server came back over & I asked if there was a way to contact the owner. She said that the manager is also the owner. At that point, I gathered up my children, paid my check at the counter, with the manager, and left.

• sunlovey's Profile Photo

Metro Diner: Breakfast comfort food in a cozy setting

by sunlovey Written Apr 10, 2006

Nestled in a neighborhood, serving both breakfast and lunch in a charming little house-like setting. There's a front dining room, a back dining room that you get to by walking through the kitchen area and outdoor seating as well (so you can bring your dog!). Because it's popular amongst locals, expect to wait for a table on weekends, (make sure to give them your name so you'll be added to the list). They set up several lawn chairs out front and serve free coffee while you wait for your table, which I thought was a nice touch.

Once seated at a booth inside we found the service to be fair to good, it is a bit loud inside, not the best place to go if you have a hangover (Heather's observation). Cute little place though, and in a nice area of Jacksonville.

Metro Cafe has been open since 1938, quite a while by American standards.

Favorite Dish: What we had... Traditional breakfast fare, tasted good, left us content!

Mom's omlette $6.39
    Chicken, asparagus, mushrooms, Swiss cheese, hollandaise sauce.

Belgian Waffle topped with fresh blueberries $4.59

Hash Browns smothered with cheddar cheese $1.59

A glass of Orange Juice & a glass of Grapefruit Juice $2.29 each

The front of the restaurant Tim, Heather & John waiting with coffee

• Gra8ful's Profile Photo

Denny's Restaurant: Denny's Disaster!!!

by Gra8ful Updated Oct 7, 2005

This Denny's was awful!! When we got to our Hotel off the I-95 exit we looked across the road and seen a Denny's, being hungry we picked them because it's right across the Holiday Inn we were staying at and we could just walk across the street. We got to Denney's at 4:00p.m. sat down and ordered when we finally got our food it was close to 6:00p.m. (we should have left). The portions were so Little compared to the Huge price not only that we didn't even get what we ordered. When we told the waitress that we didn't order this stuff, she said Oh well you might like it...Well we didn't. She never even attempted to fix our orders. This Place is a TOTAL waste of time and Money..Next time I will drive way out of my way before I ever eat there again!!

Favorite Dish: I would NEVER recommend this Place out of a 1-10 I give it a -0...It's AWEFULL!!

Never take me there again!!!!! or I'll PeeeeeUKE!
    • Cruise

• The Casbah Cafe: Where Hummus and Hookah Collide!

by Meshell301 Written Jul 11, 2005

Fun, friendly and delicious, The Casbah Cafe is a gem of a spot parked in the middle of the Avondale shopping district. Slather the city's best hummus on a warm, fresh pita...scarf down some spinach pie or a lamb kebab...and slake your thirst with Turkish coffee or French lemonade. And don't leave before sharing and smoking a hookah with the rest of your party...there are lots of flavors to choose from.

On Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays there's bellydancing to keep you entertained, and the rest of the week, sit outside for a little street-side people watching while you munch.

Favorite Dish: I'm a hummus connoisseur and the creamy concoction served here is as good as it gets!

• mrnemo's Profile Photo

Sekisui Japanese Restaurant (Lakewood): Unrivaled Japanese food in Jacksonville

by mrnemo Written May 8, 2005

The food is some of the best I've ever had. I go there for the food- everything else is secondary, even though everything else about the place is excellent, too. I have been to every Japanese restaurant in Jacksonville, from large to small, and this one has the freshest, most exotic food by far. The interior is high class- novel without being trendy, with a few black lights strategically placed with reactive wallpaper; the architecture is very unique and expensive looking. There is usually jazz playing in the background, at a nice volume. The staff seems very friendly.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is the "chef's choice," where you allow the chef to create a dish of his choice. I told the staff I was vegetarian, and he created a unique meal especially for me, and I have never tasted anything so wonderful. It was so good that I refused to put shrimp sauce on it, because it would overpower the already perfect meal.

• Favzoz's Profile Photo

The Blue Crab Crab House: Authentic Maryland-style Crab House

by Favzoz Updated Jan 7, 2005

The Blue Crab is an authentic Maryland style crab house. Having lived in Maryland for many years I was thrilled to discover this place. It was like being "back home!" The "decor" is paper covered dining tables (just like in Maryland) and plastic patio type dining chairs. Unpretensious atmosphere. You get the distinct impression their main focus is on good food. Service was good; it was a very busy night and the wait staff worked hard, considering. Previous diners have left "graffiti" messages on the walls (the "Kilroy was here" type of thing, along with comments/reviews/greetings etc). If you order steamed crabs (at a reasonable cost of $26/dozen), like I did, do not dress in your finest clothing - because you will end up wearing the crab, spices, etc. It's unavoidable when you "whack" the crab with your wooden mallet to crack open those tasty claws! This is my newly discovered favorite Jacksonville area eatery. I found it "accidentally" while searching for Clark's Fish Camp (recommended by a relative) - which was way too crowded and my dinner party was unwilling to stick out the 45 minute wait to be seated on a Wednesday evening. We traveled on down the road and stopped at The Blue Crab instead and I'm glad we did!

Favorite Dish: Steamed Maryland Blue Crabs. There is nothing like the taste of the sea...and those perky, authentic, Maryland spices (with a little kick) blending together. Of course, the cold beer is obligatory with crabs. Never an afterthought, always in combo! Part of our dinner party shared the crabs, the rest had grilled fish, fried shrimp and crab cakes. All were declared excellent dishes, even by the finicky ones amongst us (spanning three generations)! Oh, and the french fries were great, too.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Zaxby's: Chicken

by grandmaR Updated Sep 24, 2007

These people advertise that they have "real chicken"

Favorite Dish: I had a chicken salad, and Bob had chicken fingers.

Interior Sign and restaurant from car Chicken salad Chicken Fingers

• The downtown section has...

by mliebster Written Aug 24, 2002

The downtown section has various resturants. There are several micro-breweries there with resturants.

Jacksonville Hotels

Latest: Apr 27, 2014
La Quinta Inn Mandarin San Jose Jacksonville
Latest: Aug 17, 2014

Instant Answers: Jacksonville

Comments

Jacksonville Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Jacksonville locals.
Map of Jacksonville