Related Key West Favorites Tips

• Southernmost
    by MJL
    Crowd watching
    by grandmaR
    Statue man from our first visit
    by grandmaR

Most Viewed Favorites in Key West

• Why rent a room when you can rent a home?

by rockycomfort Written Feb 19, 2009

Favorite thing: Google: "Key West Vacation Home Rentals", You'll be led to a # of sites that offer weekly or daily house rentals, from small-but-nice conch cottages to condos to multi-bedroom homes. "VRBO" (Vacation Rental By Owner) is one such site. My wife & I do this 1-2x/year and its ALWAY$ less than room rates @ nice hotels, plus we get a full kitchen & washer/dryer--I like packin' light. These sites are viable pretty much across the US & Canada. Save $ and upgrade to nicer digs!

Fondest memory: Staying in a 2nd floor fully-equipped condo 1/2 block off Duval for way less $ than local hotels...

• Luxury Travel

• Island House

by tony_1976 Written Feb 5, 2009

Favorite thing: Island House is the best gay resort in the world according to Out Traveler and they are right. From the time I called to make the reservation right through check out, I was very impressed. The front desk staff was very professional and gave me some great recommendations on places to eat though I did eat many times right at the café in the resort. The café staff made happy hour a blast and the service was phenomenal. My room was a little small for my taste but they had a larger room available and I was able to upgrade for only a small fee. It was well worth the extra money for the larger room. The entire property including my room was impeccably clean. I met quite a few great guys and I had so much fun. I can’t wait to go back.

Fondest memory: I love floating in the heated pool at night.

• Spa and Resort
    • Gay and Lesbian
    • Singles

• Key West Info

by MichelleB63 Updated Oct 27, 2008

Favorite thing: My husband and I venture down to Key West just about once a year. We love to travel, and with so many places in the world to see, we just feel the need to kick back and enjoy the Keys, as so many on this site can probably relate to. We found that a great source of information, besides this website of course, is www.GoKeyWestFlorida.com. There's some wonderful information on there about places to stay, eat, play, etc. It's well written and has all the bases covered for anyone looking to have a ball in Key West!

Fondest memory: My best memory in Key West is when my husband and I shared our wedding anniversary a few years back. He gave me a conch shell during one of the sunsets at Mallory and it had a lovely necklace in it... I was so moved and happy and couldn't think of a better place to receive such a thoughtful gift!

• Luxury Travel

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Key West Artists

by grandmaR Updated Nov 27, 2005

Favorite thing: When we lived in Key West, there was a considerable artist's colony. I had done a little bit of painting in college, but it was totally primative. One of my friends asked if I would like to join Mr. Workman's classes, and I said yes. He came down from Big Pine Key and we painted landscapes outdoors.

I did two pictures with him. One was the Key West lighthouse, which I did when I was pregnant with my third child. I passed out once while I was painting it. The second picture was the conch houses. Both of those pictures now belong to my second daughter who lives in Miami.

Then one of the other wives in my husband's squadron set up classes, and she had us indoors at night - we were upstairs in the Customs House. She had us do a series of still lifes. The first one was done in 3 colors - blue, yellow and black (and white). That one belongs to my oldest daughter. The second one was apples on a purple towel and my third daughter has that one. And the third one was a very Key West scene, a wine bottle, a sponge, a conch shell, a piece of rope and some driftwood. My son has that one.

After that, she had us doing sketching with a nude model (I don't know where those sketches are now).

Then we tried portraits, and I did one of my oldest daughter from her school picture. It was before she had braces. No one wants that portrait, so I still have it.

Fondest memory: I went on from there and took some more landscape painting in Philadelphia, and did some more portrait painting. I wish I had more time for painting now.

• SvetlanaL's Profile Photo

The people you meet

by SvetlanaL Written Jan 29, 2005

Favorite thing: When My boyfriend (Paul) and I went to Key West., we became very sensitive to the vibrations we got from the place. For two days we felt strange where we were, but felt like we should be enjoying ourselves, so we stayed. We ran into one guy on Duvall street who said, "There is no reality in Key West, man."
    Then we ventured into a small art gallery featuring amazing art of all different kinds. When speaking with the owner of the gallery, we understood why we felt so strange the entire time. He revealed to us that the entire island used to be a graveyard and the city is built on top of it. "Cayo Huesco", or "Bone Island" was its former name. Afterwards we felt dirty for staying so long and not listening to our instincts. This may seem like something that can ruin a roadtrip, and indeed I got a speeding ticket going 90 mph getting the hell out of Flroida, but we were both so happy to have our sensations confirmed that we were ready to leave. the experience was unforgetable.

Fondest memory: The best part of the visit has to be puppet show after the sunset celebration one night. If you can, try to find Marsha and Chester at Mallory square. Marsha plays the violin and puts on a hell of ashow as chester creates a puppet show to the music with childlike attentiveness. The stage and props are a collaboration of things they both found in dumpsters. They both ride bicycles with lots of trinkets and stickers glued to them and frequently visit the Denny's late at night. And are an entertaining couple of characters.

• equispetoot's Profile Photo

Recoup? Regroup? Retire?

by equispetoot Written Dec 17, 2004

Favorite thing: There is something so soothing to the soul to be by the water.
    Key West is a good place for many to recouperate or regroup after a trying time. Many desire to retire here.
    The crowds or solitude, the beach or the clubs, Key West is what you make of it.

• Nobbe's Profile Photo

This building the 'shipwreck...

by Nobbe Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: This building the 'shipwreck historium'. It is build by the remains of old shipwrecks found near Key West. That's the story anyway.

Key West Hotels

Hyatt Key West Resort And Marina
Quality Inn Key West
Latest: Jan 18, 2014

Instant Answers: Key West

Comments

Key West Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Key West locals.
Map of Key West