Stock Island, Key West

Know about this? Rate It!

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Stock Island

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Snake Plant in the Botanical Garden

Key West Botanical Garden is on Stock Island on Botanical Garden Drive and College Road. It was hard hit by Hurricane Georges and some of the plantings haven't recovered yet. It is free and donations are welcome. (Suggested donation $4/person)

I went when we lived here. I'll have to get some of my slides of it digitized. And we went again yesterday (Jan 2004).

I remember being amazed to see what I call 'snake plant' and what other people call 'mother-in-law's tongue' growing wild.

See Stock Island for more photos.

• Eco-Tourism

• Ericasmurf99's Profile Photo

Key West Botanical Gardens

by Ericasmurf99 Written Mar 19, 2009

This was an okay place for a side trip. I don't believe we went during a good time of year (December), I do believe spring time might be better. They were also doing some construction, which I think is suppose to finish in April/May 2009. I wish I had worn bug spray too, those little no see 'ums were getting me!

There is a boardwalk that you follow around the gardens. In the center is a butterfly area and on a path to the right is a pond. Along the way there are tons of flowers, plants, and trees; I was definatly surprised to see a cactus.

I also recommend the Key West Garden Club located in the West Martello, on Higgs beach.

Key West Botanical Gardens Info

OPEN every day from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
    EXCEPT Independence Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.

Admission is by donation. The garden depends upon the generosity of its visitors to ensure that it can fulfill its mission to preserve and protect this important environmental and educational resource. Suggested donations are:
    Adults $5.00

• Birdwatching
    • Eco-Tourism

• Seafood Markets & Local Bars

by rwalsh72 Written Jan 23, 2004

Stock Island is a great place to buy fresh fish and other seafood right off the boats. Great prices on the famous Key West Pink Shrimp. Also some great local bars with much better prices than Key West. A great place to do happy hour or get an early dinner. Some excellent seafood available at even the most humble establishment.

• Geiger Key Marina

by rwalsh72 Written Jan 23, 2004

Want to kick back with the locals and truly experience a slice of paradise? This is the place to do it. A colorful crowd gathers regularly at this small waterfront bar/restaurant on Geiger Key. A great place to start/finish a fishing trip, or to visit for their cookouts or live music. This place is a true gem and worth seeking out.

Located down Boca Chica Road @ MM 10