B.O.'s Fish Wagon, Key West

by Ewingjr98
  • B.O.'s Fish Wagon
    by Ewingjr98
  • Martinewezel's Profile Photo

BO's fish wagon: Yes, this is a restaurant

by Martinewezel Written Mar 27, 2011

BO's fish wagon, Key West

We passed every day along this restaurant, but we never had dinner here while it looked... well, as you can see... shabby.
    BUT... each time in the afternoon, the place was loaded, so it must be that the food is good. It's a place without fuss. Get your seafood sandwish at the fish wagon and choose a table.
    Next visit we'll certainly give it a try.
    By the way, Bo's fishwagon got a good review in the NY Times.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

BO's Fish Wagon - Key West Harbor

by Ewingjr98 Updated Jan 3, 2010

On the outside, BO's is just a shack; you'll see an old junked car, fish nets, crab traps, and street signs, but no walls. Inside isn't much better with more old street signs, license plates, graffiti, and old lawn furniture. But the food is some of the best around.

We almost stopped here for lunch when we first found the place, but they were very busy, so we decided to stop here for dinner later that evening. We arrived on a chilly evening around 7pm, and the restaurant's crowds had thinned out a bit. Two of us decided to split their fried grouper sandwich, a half dozen conch fritters, and their fried scallop dinner. The grouper was served on fresh bread with lettuce, tomato, and key lime -- it was excellent! The conch fritters were also exquisite. The scallops, served with beans, rice, and fries, paled in comparison to the other dishes, but were still pretty tasty.

We also had a Corona and a great key limeade, all for about $45.

Cash only!

• doug48's Profile Photo

B.O.s fish wagon: key west style

by doug48 Written Nov 8, 2008

B.O's fish wagon

this very unique restaurant serves fish sandwiches and burgers. this is a take out place were you order food at the counter then try to find a seat. B.O's is one of those one of a kind places to eat in key west. inexpensive.

• FatesWarn's Profile Photo

B.O.'s Fish Wagon: B.O.'s - Best Representative of Key West

by FatesWarn Updated Jun 1, 2008

As we walked up the street to B.O.'s Fish Wagon, my husband gave me a look that was somewhere between, "What the...?" and "You can't be serious". I have heard many great things about this place, so I was undaunted, but my husband was not yet convinced.
    He ordered the fish and chips (in his mind - least likely thing to make him sick), and I had a burger. When our food arrived, it was piping hot and smelled delicious - we had to be patient so we didn't sear our mouths. My husband liked his fish and chips, but seemed very upset that he did not get a burger after seeing mine and was already insisting that we return later in the week so he could have one.
    The burger was ridiculously messy, and totally delicious. Their fries are as good (if not better) than the ones that I love so much from Ocean City, MD (and they have vinegar too). The food was just as good on our second trip (my husband was quite content with his burger).
    They are set up like a semi-fast food joint, where they take your order at a counter and then bring your food to you at whatever table you choose. They serve beer as well!
    Important Note: B.O.'s takes CASH ONLY.

Favorite Dish: I'll have to vote for the fries as my favorite because they are every bit as good as the boardwalk fries that I remember growing up, and my experiences in recent years at those same boardwalk establishments have been disappointing, so I feel like I now have a replacement.

• B.O.'s fish wagon: over-rated

by burntgekko Written Apr 24, 2008

waited two years to come back to this place for my fried grouper sandwich only to find out they were out of grouper. That's not a good sign at lunchtime. Had to settle for the mahi sandwich which was good but not the same thing. $9 for a fried fish sandwich without fries is way too much money. This place used to be a cool spot with yummy food at reasonable prices, now it's just another tourist trap.

Favorite Dish: fried grouper sandwich, if they had it

• jelw's Profile Photo

B.O.'s Fish Wagon: When a dump is "the" place to be!

by jelw Updated Mar 15, 2008

Order at the Wagon Window

Hidden in a parking lot "dump" B.O.'s is place to be! Great fast seafood in an eclectic setting. You order from a varied menu at the wagon window. They take your name (the sillier name the better!) and prepare to order. The servers come out of the wagon moments later calling out the name given (this sometimes approaches comedic proportions) to deliver your fresh & delicious meal served on paper checkerboard plates.
    This place is as casual as it gets!
    Open for lunch and dinner
    They offer entertainment some evenings.

Favorite Dish: The mahi with a side of their yummy rice and beans.

• B.O.'s Fish Wagon: best conch

by pj6 Written Jul 16, 2007

It's the best place in Key West to eat bar none. The laid back attitude and atmosphere is addictive. Relax eat drink, drink some more and enjoy!

Favorite Dish: The conch sandwich on the cuban bread is unbelievable. The tenderest conch I have ever eaten. I have it every time I'm in key west. The key lime sauce is fantastic, I always wonder why it not for sale.

• B.O.'s Fish Wagon: Best Fried Fish Sandwich in the Keys

by mark8613 Written Dec 19, 2006

Great place to spend a late lunch or early dinner, watch the tourists walk by and enjoy a cold beer and fried fish sandwich. very casual, I have been eating here for the past 6 years and always has been great. Not much to look at, mostly junk but not trying to be anything but.

• B.O.'s Fish Wagon: Greasy, Expensive, but I'd go back.

by SaltyGuy Written Jan 27, 2006

This is some greasy dive...all outdoors with fat cats lazing around. The food was fried and greasy, but the beer was super ICE COLD. So, I paid the $14 for a sandwich and a 2 beers and was happy. Great on a hot day just for the beer. You sit at rickety old tables under a shack made up of old stop signs and such.

Favorite Dish: Beer, and next time I'll get my fish grilled.

• ksfmom's Profile Photo

B.O.'s Fish Wagon: As Seen on FoodTV - Bobby Flay

by ksfmom Written Jun 10, 2005

This was a very unique spot! We felt like we were destined to stop here - here's why: as we were throwing around the idea of visiting Key West, he happened to turn on the TV only to find Bobby Flay visiting several Key West restaurants. We enjoyed the episode and knew we would have to find the local spots featured on his show.

The place has real "character"and was a favorite for us. It is sort of a shack with a few mismatched tables, chairs, and benches. We chose to sit at a long bar which looks out on Caroline Street. You place your order at the counter upon entering. Since it wasn't very busy when we first arrived, they brought our food to us, but I would imagine that during busier times, you would pick up your order when your name was called.

A small variety of fresh fish is available along with soft drinks, beer, wine, and iced tea. The service was super! A perfect place for lunch!
    We chose to share the large order of fish and chips (made with the fresh catch of the day-grouper) and it was just the right amount for us. This place is a definite "must try!"

Favorite Dish: We had the Fish and Chips - available with whatever the "Catch of the Day" happens to be. Our choices that day were grouper or mahi-mahi. We had the grouper which was lightly breaded and fried and was served with very fresh french fries.

• B.O.'s Fish Wagon: Fresh seafood

by missmommy19 Updated Mar 28, 2005

Writing with chalk at BO's

For truly local seafood delicacies, B.O.'s is a must. It doesn't get any more local, laid back, Key West-style than this. It is better to stumble upon B.O.'s, like we did, than to plan to go there. Dogs and kids are welcome; dogs are given a complimentary hot dog and can share a bowl of water, kids are given chalk to write all over the counters with. B.O. himself is a local, and this open air establishment is a real island classic, one block from the Gulf of Mexico. If you show up and it is closed, like friends of ours did, B.O is probably out catching tomorrow's special.

Favorite Dish: The conch fritters are wonderful.

Instant Answers: Key West

Comments

Hotels Near B.O.'s Fish Wagon
4.5 out of 5 stars