Bahama Mamas, Key West

My Jerk Chicken
  • FatesWarn's Profile Photo

The Art of Baking by Henrietta - CLOSED: Sweet Tooths' Heaven

by FatesWarn Updated Feb 9, 2014

Located in Little Bahama, Henrietta's offers a wide array of sweet baked goods. She is famous for her Coconut Strips, which are crispy strips of sweet-bread, covered and baked with coconut, and then her Conch Rolls, which are offered as a delicious dinner roll, or a sweet roll with coconut.
    I have tried both the Original, chocolate-covered, and the Key Lime Coconut Strips (she also offers chocolate-covered Key Lime). I highly recommend the Key Lime. They are a little chewy, but they are bursting with the delicious combination of key lime and coconut. I noticed that she kept them refrigerated, and that they seem to sweat in the heat, so if you're going to take some home with you, be sure to pick them up on your last day and then put them in the fridge or freezer when you get home. They freeze really well, and when thawed, are a perfect accompaniment to ice cream.
    On other visits, I had a slice of pound cake, which was perfectly dense and moist, as well as the Conch Rolls.

Favorite Dish: I am sorry that I did not buy more of them to take home with me, but the Coconut Conch Rolls were delicious. They are rolls shaped like conch shells. She offers a regular conch roll, which would make a great dinner roll, as well as coconut flavor. They're fun to eat because you can peel off layers at a time, like a cinnamon roll.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Bahama Mamas: Bahama Heritage

by grandmaR Written Jul 5, 2005

My Jerk Chicken

Our second night, we went to Bahama Mama's for dinner. They have several dedicated (free) parking places. Most of the seating is outside although they say there is inside seating also. There was one lady waiting on tables, and I presume someone else doing the cooking.

We got into conversation with two other couples - one from the Allentown area and one from the eastern shore and it was a nice relaxing evening.

Favorite Dish: Bob had the shrimp salad (which was a salad with grilled shrimp in it). I had the jerk chicken for $14.95. This was a small half chicken - tender and spicy, with a small portion of fried plantains, two hush puppies, and two sides. I took shrimp hash cake (which was kind of like hash browns but with shrimp and peppers in it), and crab and rice. I also had a piece of home made key lime pie $4.50 (it was warm) and I drank iced tea. The total bill was under $31 before tip.

Instant Answers: Key West