4.5 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars - 23 Reviews

Eggs Benedict at Blue Heaven, Key West
  • freedomtrip's Profile Photo

Blue Heaven: Roosters and music on Sunday

by freedomtrip Written Jun 10, 2007

I have been going here my whole life since I was born in key West. This place has been featured on the travel channel more times than I can count. It can be a little pricey at dinner and even lunch, but breakfast is just perfect. Roosters roam at your feet, eclectic mix-match tables and live music on the weekends. The food here is a touch-above any other breakfast spot on the island, as is the ambience. This place is one of a kind unique and when i venture away from the island, it is something I surely miss. And if you do go for dinner, get the bananas heaven dessert. The name does not lie.

Favorite Dish: The eggs benedict with key lime hollandaise and betty's banana bread, home-cooked everyday, along with the banana pancakes are all truly delightful.

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Blue Heaven: A Brunch Experience

by TRimer Updated Jan 17, 2007

Bar @ Blue Heaven

Brunch at Blue Heaven is one experience that is uniquely Key West. Located in Bahama Village, the restaurant has excellent food that is an eclectic mix of seafood, Caribbean creations, and vegetarian dishes. It is THE place to go for Sunday Brunch- but be prepared for a very long wait as they do not take reservations (you have to go and put your name on a list). Part of the experience is waiting for your table- preferably with a cocktail from the outside bar (which will also be packed). Resist the temptation to take a table inside. There is a gift shop which is air conditioned where you can browse and cool off. Chickens, roosters and cats will roam around your table while you eat.

Favorite Dish: I can only speak to the Rooster Special which was fantastic. Two eggs, any style, and grits or seasoned potatoes and bacon or country sausage and toast or homemade pancakes or Betty's banana bread (Yum).

Breakfast- 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
    Lunch- Noon to 3 p.m.
    Dinner- 6 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Blue Heaven: Finally got Breakfast - er Brunch

by grandmaR Updated Apr 15, 2011

Lobster Eggs Benedict

My daughter recommended this place for breakfast. But we almost never eat breakfast out, so we hadn't gotten to it until now. So when we visited my sister in a condo that she rented, rather than make breakfast, we went to try to find Blue Heaven. Unfortunately my map had Thomas and Thompson streets reversed on it so there was a delay in navigation.

When we got there. first we tried to go in the wrong door. When we found the gate, it was very crowded with a long (1.5 hour) wait. So we sat down to wait. Uncle George (my brother-in-law) went out to intercept Bob who was parking the car. My sister and I sat at the entrance and people watched. We also got a menu and read about the restaurant.

Eventually she went down to where George and Bob were and they also registered at the La Crêperie. However Barbara noticed that people were not being seated there any faster than at Blue Heaven, so she crossed our names off their list when we got seating at Blue Heaven.

Favorite Dish: Bob got banana bread and bacon sides which were $2.50-$3.00 each. I got a fruit smoothie ($5.00) and a lobster omelet ($22.00) which was the special. Aunt B and Uncle G got the lobster eggs benedict.

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Blue Heaven: Exellent Restaurant in Old Key West

by TooTallFinn24 Written Sep 18, 2011

Outside Eating Area at the Blue Heaven Key West

We were traveling on foot and the restaurant which is located on the 700 block of Thomas Street is not easy to find. However once you do it is well worth the walk.
    The Blue Heaven, whose seating is outside, is like sitting in a neighbor's farm back yard. The seating is casual and there are all sorts of chickens and cats roaming the backyard. While it sounds irritating it is actually quite relaxing.

We ordered the Jamaican Chicken Jerk Sandwich and the Shrimp Sandwich. The chicken sandwich consists of strips of chicken breast marinated in a delightful concoction of spices. It is served on a bun. The The Shrimp Sandwich is actually a shrimp melt on a fresh bun topped off with cheddar cheese. The waiter indicated that the shrimp is caught locally. It tasted fresh and was a joy to eat.

For desert the key lime pie served here is out of this world. It tastes like it was just prepared a few minutes ago and has the crisp taste of limes and just a nice addition of whipped cream.

Favorite Dish: Shrimp sandwich with cheese, and the fantastic key lime pie. Even the ice tea which they bring plenty of is tasty and refreshing. Basically you cant go wrong at this restaurant!

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Blue Heaven: Breakfast at Lunchtime

by DEBBBEDB Updated Apr 15, 2011

Entrance gate

This is everyone's favorite place for breakfast - it is one of the places I recommend to people who are going to visit Key West. They also do dinner, but they are particularly known for breakfast.

Monday - Saturday: Breakfast: 8am - Noon
    Lunch: "After breakfast**" - 3pm
    Dinner: 5pm - "10-ish" pm

Sunday: Brunch: 8am - 2pm
    Dinner: 5pm - "10-ish" pm

**Please note. Breakfast is very popular. Esepcially January - May. You may have to wait. After they finish breakfast, they start lunch.

Favorite Dish: Be SURE to have some of the Banana Bread

• agurleysms's Profile Photo

Blue Heaven: Skipping Blue Heaven is not an option!

by agurleysms Written May 18, 2008

GO TO BLUE HEAVEN! We really enjoyed eating here. We were seated outside and enjoyed the atmosphere while we awaited our food. We had a near collision with a Rooster while we were looking around. I recommend that you do not ever feed the chickens as they will beg the until you leave. Yes, chickens learn to beg.

Ok, the food was really great. I ordered the Rooster special which included eggs, seasoned potatoes, sausage, and pancakes. Adrian ordered banana bread and we split everything. The country sausage was really flavorful and the potatoes were a nice surprise.

This place was our favorite breakfast and will not disappoint!

• Ericasmurf99's Profile Photo

Blue Heaven: Cool atmosphere - Blue Heaven

by Ericasmurf99 Written Jul 12, 2009

This place has a "trendy and cool" vibe to it. The only thing I found odd was breakfast is served all the way to 1200. A friend and I went for lunch food at 1100 and had to wait...no big deal though we just chilled at the little bar. There is also a gift shop and clean restrooms. Oh, and zero parking. You'll have to walk here from where ever you find a spot.

Favorite Dish: I had a jerk chicken sandwhich. Pretty good.

• twohandgrab's Profile Photo

Blue Heaven: Don't skip this joint

by twohandgrab Updated Apr 4, 2011

Don't leave the island until to have dinner at Blue Heaven. It truly is a little slice of heaven. If you are going to go out for a nice dinner once on your trip...this is the one. Dress down in your best pair of flip flops and your favorite shorts and get prepared to eat some good fish! Get the tuna...Although, everything is top notch. Even the land lubbers will delight in the preparation of their pork, chicken, and beef. The atmosphere is just what you need to complete your vacation. Roosters run amok, there is outdoor ping pong and a rope swing. Zydeco music on the weekends. Need I say more?

Favorite Dish: Everything is good. Get the tuna (hehehe). I say that it is a little more expensive then a usual dinner (for me) but it is worth it to go there and not have to be pinching pennies. Go there and treat yourself like a king...or a queen. No offensive references meant. Go with a loved one or bring the whole fam, let the kids go crazy and relax for a moment just listening to the breeze.

• Blue Heaven: Ok, Tourists allowed...

by SaltyGuy Written Jan 27, 2006

Ok, if you are a tourist, I'll let you go to this place since I only go here when I have tourists in town to show around.

It is expensive, but so unique that you really can't miss this place. The breakfast is fantastic and especially their homemade breads.

There are lots of lazy, good for nothing cats lying around...And, tons of those pesky chickens that we locals wish we could use to bait our crab traps with without going to jail.
    So, you'd better watch your step in there.

I think it's all outdoor seating so watch that some loony tourist from Germany doesn't wack your dentures out when you walk by the rope swing.

Favorite Dish: Lobster egges benedict and as much homemade bread as they can bring.

• Blue Heaven: Skeptical at first, One bite and I was sold!

by chappleg Written Jan 6, 2005

With the abundance of restaurants to choose from, and only a limited number of meals in your stay, your restaurant choice can make or break a vacation. I did my research before-hand and still wasn't sold on Blue Heaven, but my wife and I stopped in anyway. Boy am I glad we did! Lunch was spectacular. Neat outdoor courtyard setting, great service, reasonable prices.

Favorite Dish: I had some sort of Jamaican Jerk Shrimp PoBoy and my wife had the chicken. The fact that there are live chickens wandering around the courtyard at your feet adds to the atmosphere - until they begin staring at you while you're enjoying one of their siblings. 5 STARS!!

• jem126's Profile Photo

Blue Heaven: Famous for A Reason

by jem126 Written Feb 13, 2005

Every travel guide will tell you to go to Blue Heaven but there is good reason for that. The place is a real experience, decorated beautifully, great drinks and food and a real Key West ambiance. Dont even bother going for lunch or dinner, the breakfast is where its at.

Favorite Dish: The Lobster Benedict at Blue Heaven is the greatest meal in Key West. Its not on the menu, they almost always have it as a breakfast special though. Really good with a cafe con leche or a daquiri.

• Threefor10's Profile Photo

Blue Heaven: Relaxing place, good food

by Threefor10 Updated Aug 25, 2009

Its Key West, so your going to eat outside in the shade.
    A calico cat and hostess greeted us as we entered the courtyard restaurant, and we were seated at one of the blue antique wrought iron tables with an umbrella in the middle. Gazing up at the brown and white shade sails tied high in the trees sent me into a daydream. The old buildings and palm trees provide a lot of shade and privacy from the outside world as well as a beautiful backdrop for the bar and stage. A great retreat from the heat and crowds on Duvall St.

Favorite Dish: I had the Shrimp Plate. The Shrimp Sauteed in wine and butter was very good, came with a big slice of cornbread, black beans, and vegetables. very good

• KeyWest6's Profile Photo

The Blue Heaven Restaurant: Don't forget some Key Lime pie...

by KeyWest6 Updated Apr 4, 2011

A Blue Heaven Rendezvous

Picture if you can, the romantic ambience of dining outdoors in a woodchip covered courtyard, under the gently swaying arms of tropical breeze blown trees while being pestered into providing small portions of your meal to a mother hen and her offspring as a rooster crows loudly from the branches just above your head. This is all part of the "atmosphere" of this lovely restaurant.

Favorite Dish: The locals all know you have to make it to the Blue Heaven for breakfast, and you have to try the pancakes. I highly recommend the blueberry pancakes and a hot cup of coffee. With all the chickens and roosters sauntering around under (and above) the tables, you may find it a bit too intimidating to order the Jamaican Jerk Chicken Dinner. After all, you may be dining on one of your mealmate's relatives. But, that is all part of the fun at this place for great food and fun, relaxing surroundings.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Blue Heaven: Blue Heaven Key West

by TravellerMel Written Mar 21, 2012

Blue Heaven, Key West

This is just the kind of funky local place Boyd and I love to find! The outside seating area is covered by sails to protect from sun and rain, and there is a small stage for music. We went for breakfast, and it was great - chickens running between the tables (chickens seem to roam free all over KW). Loved the gift shop - t-shirts and postcards, but also works of art from local artists and craftsmen. I bought an awesomely funky ring for $10! This is a fun place with wonderful food - I would love to go back for dinner and hear some music!

Favorite Dish: I had the eggs benedict, and it was fabulous! I love that they serve Seattle's Best coffee, and our waitress kept if filled. Our friends had the Rooster Special (eggs, potatoes, pancakes for $8.95), and had a Bloody Mary that they really enjoyed.

• blue heaven: the chicken was very good

by kozmoball Written Feb 2, 2012

Great place to meet new friends the chicken was enjoyable the people a bit rare what ever you do bring a dog treat you never know what mite happen so take a walk on the wild side and try blue heaven you will be glad you did boss

Favorite Dish: It's all good

Instant Answers: Key West

Comments

Hotels Near Blue Heaven
4.0 out of 5 stars