Cheeseburger Key West, Key West

• Ericasmurf99's Profile Photo

Cheeseburger Key West: Ripped off... - Cheeseburger Key West

by Ericasmurf99 Updated Jul 12, 2009

Stupid $5.00 ugly cup!

My friend and I stopped in here for lunch. The actual food was good (I had a cheeseburger, she had a chickenburger) the problem we had was the waitress. She told us that her famous mango margarita was great and it came in a pinnapple cup. So my friend said sure. Then we got the bill and the waitress charged for the drink...and charged $5.00 for the stupid looking pinnapple cup. Now the waitress said "it comes in the pinnapple cup". I take that to mean that just happens to be the cup it comes in, not that you have to pay extra for it. She wouldn't give my friend a refund on it either. What a rip off! I felt lied to...and I am serious...it is a STUPID looking cup. Like something you might pay 50 cents at the Dollar Tree for as a gag gift.

***Update*** I've eaten here again since then and everything was fine, I'm not telling you not to come here, I was just relaying a funny story. Just don't buy the souviner cup ;).

Favorite Dish: Cheeseburger

• doug48's Profile Photo

cheeseburger: burgers & beer

by doug48 Written Nov 8, 2008

cheeseburger

cheese burger is a tropical adaptation of it's hard rock neighbor. of course they are known for their cheese burgers. note: no jimmy buffet music played here. a fun bar and restaurant in the middle of the duval street entertainment area. moderately priced.

• Beaches
    • Architecture

• 850prc's Profile Photo

Cheeseburger Key West (or Cheeseburger's): Screw you, Jimmy Buffett

by 850prc Updated Aug 6, 2006

Is it a Jimmy Buffett spy microphone?

I bet you're wondering what the anti-Buffett title for this tip means. Don't get me wrong, I have lots of Jimmy Buffett CDs and my wife has even seen him in concert...back in her college days. I learned, however, a little something about Buffett's greed when I requested that the bar singer do "Banana Republics", one of my favorite JB songs.

You see, this restaurant is called "Cheeseburger Key West" or just "Cheeseburger's" and apparently Mr. Buffett and his greedy lawyers think JB owns the word cheeseburger in Key West. And although it was decided that he did not, the mere mention of Buffett in this restaurant was something he was not prepared to tolerate, especially since an outlet of his kitschy JIMMY BUFFETT'S MARGARITAVILLE CAFE is located in Key West. So...musicians playing in the court of Cheeseburger's are barred, by agreement, from playing any Jimmy Buffett songs, lest the customer be "confused". I'm not confused, Mr. Parrot-Head. I know greed when I see it. Rant over. :)

Cheeseburger's is a wonderful little bar and restaurant on the north end of Duval Street. They make excellent burgers and sandwiches, and also feature many seafood items on the menu. Yes, they have conch fritters and Key Lime Pie. And, you can probably ask for songs about said foods as Buffett doesn't feel he owns those words. A lot of the burgers and such have a nice tropical flair, as you'll see below in my "favorite dish" section.

Cheeseburger's also makes some really kick-butt island specialty drinks, heavy on rum and coconut/pineapple, etc. And if you make friends with the bar singer and the manager, they'll load your drink up at no extra charge, unofficially of course. You know me, folks...I made friends.

Favorite Dish: I had an island burger which featured a "huge hunk of meat" as some song whose title eludes me describes. I skipped the Heinz 57 and the cold draft beer. But I did have some nice seasoned fries and added bacon, avocado and fresh pineapple to my burger. And, there was the matter of about three "specialty drinks" to deal with, too.

Last and not least, Cheeseburger's had perhaps THE friendliest service we encountered in what was already a very friendly town.

Instant Answers: Key West

Comments

Hotels Near Cheeseburger Key West
266 Opinions