Loony's, Key West

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Loony's Restaurant & Bar: Goonie Loonie

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Picture from the car

This is a part of the Blue Lagoon resort. I do not know why this place is called Loony's unless it is sort of a play on the word Lagoon. It advertises dockside dining, and all-you-can-eat shrimp or fish.

We pass this restaurant every time we go to the Navy base to the commissary.

A review says:
    You walk in from the back as that’s where the parking is and you observe a different crowd then you would downtown. Its either tourist family’s sitting at the tables towards the back closer to the pool or people associated with the naval base sitting at the bar. The music is generated from a jukebox whose music hasn’t changed since Led Zeppelin ruled the roost. Everyone talks to you about everything imaginable at the bar, but at the table’s the servers feel you out a bit but don’t make a major effort to get you chatting.

The food is basic fish dishes with fries or other decently prepared basics...

Favorite Dish: We didn't go here until this past February. We tried the Sunset Grill on the Sigsbee base, and couldn't get waited on. As we were driving off the base, I said why not try the restaurant at the Blue Lagoon right on the corner of the road to Sigsbee. Bob didn't believe they had a restaurant, but their sign advertised and all you can eat Valentines Day dinner for $11.99, and I argued that they couldn't have that unless they had a restaurant. After we drove through the whole motel complex, we found it - it was called Looney's.

Since it was cold, and this was an open air restaurant (no indoor seating) overlooking the water where they rent PWCs, they had big palm tree like propane heaters. Everyone in there looked like a biker - they all had baseball caps and dark jackets. That was probably partly because it was cold, but there were 4 guys at one table who were all there on Harleys. Several people came and left again because it was too cold. I wore my winter coat and they put heaters on each side of our table and it was quite comfortable.

Bob had the fish and chips basket for $8.95 (which was what we tried to have at the Sunset Grill), and I had the half lobster special for $13.99. This was supposed to have 2 sides, and I asked for red potatoes and cole slaw, but instead of cole slaw, I got a crab cake. Go figure. I also had the special dessert, which was chocolate thunder cake for $3.99. Dinner was under $30.

Instant Answers: Key West