Turtle Kraals, Key West

Turtle Kraals
    The Happy Hour Spread at Turtle Kraals
    Pirates! View from Turtle Kraals
  • TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Turtle Kraals: Turtle Races and Happy Hour at Turtle Kraals!

by TravellerMel Written Mar 23, 2012

We came here for the turtle race, and just missed the action (apparently, these are fast turtles! LOL!) So we decided to stay for some grub - our timing was perfect since there is a happy hour from 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm which offers 1/2 price appetizers! So we loaded up the table with appetizers and shared - it was great! Of course, we couldn't eat all we ordered, but it was good food, fun friends, and a beautiful afternoon on the dock so we could watch the water and some of the boats coming in. This was a really fun place - we all enjoyed it very much.

Favorite Dish: We ordered the Bucket o Bones ribs (1/2 price = $6.25) and two orders of the pork sliders (1/2 price = $3.50 per order). We also split the nachos, boiled shrimp, fried calamari, and the wood-smoked fish dip. That was a LOT of food for 6 people, but we made a major dent in it.

Turtle Kraals The Happy Hour Spread at Turtle Kraals Pirates!  View from Turtle Kraals

• Turtle Kraals: Great BBQ!!!

by njbaseball Written Aug 21, 2011

While some folks may think that seafood is the food to eat at Turtle Kraals, it's their BBQ that has made me enter the place when I passed by. The mesquite smell permeates throughout the area. I was part of a table for 4, 2 of which ordered seafood and the other 2 ordered BBQ. I had the brisket while another friend had the dry rub ribs. Both BBQ dishes were outstanding. Both brisket and ribs were moist and tender, the ribs fall of the bone good. The two seafood dishes were lacking, both being rubbery crab legs. I would definitely recommend the BBQ food and stay away from the crab legs.

Favorite Dish: Brisket!!

• Martinewezel's Profile Photo

Turtke Kraals: Seafood... again

by Martinewezel Written Jan 8, 2011

This restaurant looks very nice. However, compared to other restaurants we went to, the food was just so so.

Favorite Dish: We had grilled shrimps with fries and vegetables for lunch.
    Perhaps we chose the wrong dish?

Turtle Kraals

• Turtle Kraals: A good, varied menu

by rockycomfort Written Feb 19, 2009

Sure, Key West means seafood, but this place has a nice variety of dry-rub BBQ: beef, pork, and chicken. On the seafood side, try the smoked fish dip and the grilled cheese oysters in the shell... Chat with the bartenders & servers, they're a sincere, friendly bunch.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Tower Bar: A nice seaport view

by easterntrekker Updated Feb 8, 2009

We ate upstairs with a nice view of the bustling waterfront. Downstairs has dining also and is called Turtle Kraals . They have excellent fresh grilled fish sandwiches.They have a smoker oven and an open flame mesquite grill which explains why the wondeful smells drew us in.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Turtle Kraals: Not as slow as a Turtle

by grandmaR Updated Mar 17, 2005

Turtle Kraals has a pleasant staff and it is an interesting place to sit and watch the activity in Key West Bight. There is a bar on the 2nd deck and the Turtle Kraal tower is behind it. We went here for lunch when we were at a mooring in Garrison Bight in January 2001. I remembered it as quite reasonable. However we went back again in 2005, and I thought it was expensive for dinner.

Favorite Dish: I don't remember exactly what I had in 2001, but it was probably a sandwich of some kind, because it was lunch.

For dinner in 2005, I had the special soup (lobster bisque with a muffin but the waiter forgot the muffin) and the special quiche, and Bob had a seafood burrito with beans and rice, which was too much for him to eat. Dinner was $36.52 including tip. We drank water, and I did not have dessert because I thought they were too expensive

Quiche of the Day (asparagus, ham, mushroom) $9.95 Restaurant from dinghy dock Lobster Bisque $3.95 Seafood burrito with beans and rice Specials menu

• Shetaur1962's Profile Photo

Turtle Kraals: Best Mango Crab Cakes!

by Shetaur1962 Updated Feb 22, 2005

The restaurant is open air, as is most everything in Keywest! This tip will have to double as a must see because of the turtle races. Yes, the turtle races! Go see, eat and by the tee shirt.... it is time very well spent.

Favorite Dish: Everything on the menue is wonderful, however, I have a new found addiction for the Mango Crab Cakes. Best to try a little of everything.

• twohandgrab's Profile Photo

Turtle Kraals: Get a shirt at the Raw Bar, but eat Turtle Kraals

by twohandgrab Written Jun 6, 2003

I'd have to say that most everyone goes to the Raw Bar to fill up on goodies before a night of hard drinking, I certainly did, until I tried Turtle Kraals. Not that the Raw Bar isn't great; it is. But when all the boats start up their engines, you get gassed out while you're eating! Try Turtle Kraals. Go upstairs; they have a great 2nd floor patio and the seafood is great! The raw selection is delightful and I think it's a good deal cheaper than other places in the area. Happy Hour sunset is a must. Most places are over crowded at sunset, but we had a great view and a table to boot!

Instant Answers: Key West

Comments

Hotels Near Turtle Kraals
4.5 out of 5 stars