Butterfly Conservatory, Key West

Butterfly
    by chorrell
    The Jewel Butterfly, according to Sara
    by 850prc
    You're a bright little fellow
    by vabchtraveler
  • vabchtraveler's Profile Photo

Delicate Beauty

by vabchtraveler Written Nov 21, 2012

Before we cruised to Key West, I had done a lot of research about what to see. I fell in love online with the Key West Butterfly Conservatory. It was our first stop in Key West (CityView Trolley dropped us right at the front door). First, the gift shop is amazing! You could spend an hour just putzing around in there. Once you finally cut yourself loose from that, you pay and enter the Conservatory. We had a coupon from the Trolley but the OPR (old person rate) was cheaper - $9 if I remember correctly. There's an education area and then you step into the rainforest - or that's what it feels like. It's very warm, very humid and very, very beautiful. It is astonishing to see all of the birds and butterflies at ease in their home. They just go about their business and leave you sighing in delight as they flit by you. There are feeding stations throughout to tempt them to land (and to, well, feed them) and a myriad of tropical flowers to tempt them, too. We spent a lot of time - lost track of how much - just trying to get a really good picture of the irridescent blue ones!! They are really fast and when they stop, they fold up their wings and the wings are brown on the outside -- disappointing but oh, so much safer for them, I'm sure!

This place did not at all disappoint. All the hype was right-on for me. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but if you are a tree-hugging nature lover like me - you'll get a kick out of it!

One negative to me. I'd been pining for the 'butterfly in a crystal ball' Christmas ornament and had even posted pictures on Cruise Critic for others to see and get excited about. Guess what? They only carry them at Christmas...I was denied the $45 Christmas ornament (probably just as well). And, yes, I can order online - but it's not the same thing. Haven't shop owners in cruise ports figured out that Chritmas ornaments are a big deal as souvenirs? Small, inexpensive (mostly), easy to transport, lightweight...just saying.

Absolutely gorgeous You're a bright little fellow All that color and it still blends in This chennile plant must be on steroids!
    • School Holidays
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Key West Butterfly & Nature Conservatory

by TravellerMel Written Apr 30, 2012

Key West was a port on a recent cruise, and that night at dinner, I heard several people talking about the butterfly sanctuary, and how much fun it was. I knew I was coming back to Key West in the Spring, so I decided I would check it out.

SO glad I did! It was great! The waiting area to get in was quite crowded, but once inside the conservatory, you had ample room to walk around and take pictures. It was so cool, seeing the butterflies flying freely. My husband had one land on him and I was able to get a photo - to my knowledge, none landed on me... :-(

The conservatory is beautiful, filled with tropical plants, feeding stations, a little stream with a bridge over it. You can spend as much time as you like in the area, and when you leave there is a small room with floor-to-ceiling mirrors so you can check your clothing for "stowaways". :-)

The tourist booklets offer $1 off admission ($12/adults). They have a really nice gift shop too, and the prices were reasonable. I really enjoyed visiting here and would recommend it.

Key West Butterfly & Nature Conservatory Key West Butterfly & Nature Conservatory Key West Butterfly & Nature Conservatory Key West Butterfly & Nature Conservatory Key West Butterfly & Nature Conservatory

• agurleysms's Profile Photo

Flying Flowers

by agurleysms Written Apr 28, 2009

We enjoyed going to the Butterfly Conservatory as a diversion from all of the eating/drinking/sun burning. The staff was friendly and the flitterbyes did not disappoint. My favorite were the ones that look like moths until the spread their wings, and you see the electric blue color.

Unfortunately, I am not a quick shot photographer and they hardly open their wings when landed. Do not expect this to be a place to cool off though, they keep it quite warm for their tropical friends.

Some of the displays in the gift shop were really amazing as well!

Overall, I would recommend this to anyone that has never been to a butterfly house before. It is a nice way to kill a little time before lunch!

• Photography
    • Birdwatching

• galaxyrain's Profile Photo

Come See the Butterflies!

by galaxyrain Written Jan 25, 2009

This conservatory is nice and a great place to take kids in Key West. We spent over an hour in there because we were trying to get a butterfly to land on us and take a pic of it. Never happened. They do land on you, but not when you are expecting it. There are so many butterflies and the area is calming. The price is somewhat reasonable. There is a gift shop and parking available behind the building, but it is sparse.
    Adults - $12
    Child (4-12) - $8.50
    Under 4 - Free
    Seniors and military - $9
    Conservatory Hours are 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM daily. Last ticket sold 30 minutes before closing.

• chorrell's Profile Photo

Key West Butterfly & Nature Conservatory

by chorrell Written Sep 1, 2008

butterflies everywhere - on your clothes and in your hair; impressive collection of flowering plants, cascading waterfalls and trees with little birds perching;i50 to 60 different species from around the world; climate controlled, glass enclosed habitat

Butterfly Orchid Butterfly

• Ericasmurf99's Profile Photo

Butterfly & Nature Conservancy

by Ericasmurf99 Updated Jul 6, 2008

"Take a stroll through tropical gardens filled with hundreds of butterflies." That is what the brochure says. So of course you think to yourself "whatever, hundreds must just be an advertising word, there may be a few"......but NO I am telling you there are THOUSANDS in there!!! You walk through that door and bam! you are hit with the awe of the place. Butterflys are everywhere, little birds are singing and hopping around (watch your step), glowing fish and turtles in the ponds, wonderful tropical plants; it truely is amazing and a must see.

Operating Hours are from 9am to 5:30 pm.

**military discount**
    **discount coupons available in many brochures**

• eugini2001's Profile Photo

Butterfly Farm

by eugini2001 Written Dec 25, 2007

I’m happy I didn’t buy shore excursion on the ship, instead we strolled along Duval street and we rewarded with having lunch with pirates. Moreover, Kew West is approximately 2 miles wide by 5 miles long. If I had more time, I would walk north to South and East to West all the way on my feet. We visited The Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory (voted #1 attraction in Key West for the Fourth Consecutive Year by the “People Choice Award” in Key West). We saw hundreds of living butterflies that are huge and beautifully colorful, exotic birds in a climate-controlled greenhouse. It’s not that big as you first think, it’s rather too small and crowded, but full of wonderful colors!
    They have a nice gift shop with nice prices for gift shops and many things on sale. I bough a lot of Christmas ornaments to my collection at the very good price.

butterflies butterflies quails birds butterflies
    • Farm Stay
    • Cruise

• bluejaxx's Profile Photo

Butterfly and Nature Conservatory

by bluejaxx Written May 12, 2007

If you love small animals and butterflys you will come into close contact with them at the conservatory. When you enter the conservatory you must do so very carefully because the butterflys might fly out. You have to walk slow and be careful where you step because there are quails walking around and butterflys everywhere in a beautiful garden setting. A perfect place to take pictures. Unfotunately we saw that someone had stepped on one of the poor butterflys (I hope he is ok). I was waiting for one of them to land on me but none did but there were so many beautiful colors.

• 850prc's Profile Photo

Butterfly Heaven - The KW Butterfly Conservatory

by 850prc Updated Aug 5, 2006

Oh my God. If ever a place was built to make my daughter happy, it's the Butterfly Conservatory in Key West. Butterflies are Sara's new passion, and the conservatory has an incredible indoor butterfly garden and oasis, just brimming with all sorts of exotic beauty. Talk about a peaceful place to spend some time.

I personally am not that "into" butterflies, but I found it both uplifting and calming...and the nice cool climate inside the sanctuary was nice, too. We had a chance to speak with some of the butterfly "handlers", too. Very interesting to learn of all the different steps in setting up such an undertaking.

As a sideline, the owners of the conservatory make some incredibly beautiful art and plexiglass displays of various butterflies. Mind you, no cruelty is happening here...the butterflies have a life span of about 2 weeks, and every day, they go through several times to pick up the beauties who's time's run out. The ones with bodies in good shape are given to the butterfly artist/taxidermist and voila...magical creations. I know it doesn't particularly sound great to talk about butterfly art, but trust me, you'd be amazed at the talent of the artist and the grace and beauty of his subjects.

Oh, one other thing...in addition to butterflies, the conservatory's garden also has a nice collection of beautiful and color birds to blend in with their butterfly color. They all seem to get on nicely, I didn't see any of the "employees" eating one another.

Like everything in Key West, it costs $10 per adult...but we did find some coupons that saved us a few dollars. And, once you've bought a ticket, you're welcome to revisit as often as you'd wish for that day. It comes in handy when you're maybe a little hot and tired. Go back into the cool conservatory and sit on the benches for a bit. (See photo of me and Sara below) The conservatory is open daily from 9:00 am until 5:30 pm.

Sara and I resting inside the conservatory The Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory Don't you love beautiful vegetarians? The Giant Swallowtail, according to Sara The Jewel Butterfly, according to Sara

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

The Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservancy

by grandmaR Written Feb 5, 2005

I hesitated to come here - we have been to other butterfly places in Costa Rica and Belize, so I thought this would be more of the same, but it turned out to be the best one of the bunch. In the first room there are exhibits with live caterpillars munching away, and also a 15 minute video tape about the life cycle of butterflies.

Then you go into a very warm and humid glass conservatory with a multitude of flowering plants, and also some birds - no hummingbirds like they had in Costa Rica - that was a much bigger place. But they had some yellow and orange finch type birds (not insect eaters), and some little quail, a turtle, and big fancy finned koi in a pond. Plus of course all the kinds and colors of butterflies that you could imagine.

Right away, a butterfly came and sat on Bob's shirt (which was red), and one lighted on his head later. They have a mirrored room on the exit so you can check to see if there are any hitchhiking butterflies. I got almost 20 good close-up digital photos of the butterflies

Conservatory Hours

Adults $10
    Children 4-12 years $7.50
    Under 4 years Free
    Seniors and Military $8.50

One of the beautiful butterflies Bob walks from the parking lot Butterfly up by the conservatory windows Butterflies and birds share apple slices A butterflies that likes Bob's red shirt

• The fluttering wonders

by donfrog Written Jan 26, 2004

Have you ever walked among 1200 flying flowers? With many birds singing? With a wonderful spiritual feeling of peace and serenity? Try visiting the Key West Butterfly & Nature conservatory!! 13 16 Duval Street, away from the t-shirt shops and into a wonderful flying world!!

• Photography
    • Museum Visits

• grasshopper_6's Profile Photo

Butterfly Conservatory

by grasshopper_6 Written Jun 29, 2008

A really neat place. A greenhouse - like room with hundreds and hundreds of exotic butterflys from all over the world. A photographer's dream and also very relaxing if it's not too hot.

Instant Answers: Key West

Comments

Hotels Near Butterfly Conservatory
4.5 out of 5 stars