Truman White House, Key West

Know about this?

Area to wait for tour
    House from the back
    by grandmaR
    TV showing tape of Truman's life
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

The Canonization of Truman

by grandmaR Updated May 5, 2007

Sign on the lawn

When we lived in Key West the Truman White House was on the Naval Base. I thought it might be nice to see it now that it is open to the public. So we walked over from the Shipwreck Museum (there's no parking inside the gates).

We had about 45 minutes on the parking meter.

Unique Suggestions: I realized that the homes that used to be officers quarters for the Navy had been turned into condos etc. Everything is very sanitized in a Disney type way. (This is not a compliment.)

I also realized that the tour not only would cost $10.00 each (way too expensive), AND would take more time than we had on the parking meter.

I read about the tour. The house had been restored to the 40's styles.

I can remember the 40s. I don't need to see 'restored' 'historic' sites that are from the 40s.

Historic - NOT

Fun Alternatives: There is a FREE 10 minute video tape extolling all possible virtures of Harry Truman and his life that you can see before the tour. I decided that the video tape was sufficient, and we didn't stay for the tour.

• Museum Visits

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

Harry S. Truman House (The Little White House)

by tpangelinan Written May 23, 2003

Little White House

Ugly, and not much bang for your buck.
    Any tour that starts with watching videos is...not that good a start for me. The house is not very charming, guides are good with what they have to work with. If you are a real Harry Truman buff, you will eat it up, but (yawn) time in Key West is much better spent somewhere else.

Unique Suggestions: I would only go here if my child needed it to count for a historical trip for school credit.

• Museum Visits