Know about this?
Like any other place
If your idea of safety is suburban, Bahama Village may seem threatening. People are on the street, voice can get raised in greetings, dominoes click into the night. But, as a resident of the area I would not hesistate to walk anywhere in my neighborhood at any time. In fact, I have. And lest you immediately make assumptions about me, let me just say I sunburn easily so safety is not a matter of fitting any racial stereotype.
But there is a courtesy in the Village - we do not stare, we greet each other even if we do not know each other ("hi, how ya doin?"), and we do not cross the street just because someone we don't know is in the path of our original route. AND we respect private property and parking restrictions.
So. be warned - leave your prejudices at home; we can sense judgement but we can also sense appreciation.
Welcome to our neighborhood!
Most of Key West is incredibly safe...but
In the daytime it is a lovely place. My favorite restaurant is there and a few of the most reasonable guest houses, especially up around Julia Street. But I would not go walking alone late at night in just any part of Bahama Village. The majority of folks that live there are truly nice & friendly to tourist people, but there are some backstreets I wouldn't feel safe wandering around in after midnight.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
Key West Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Miami Beach Hotels
- Mecca Hotels
- Malgrat de Mar
- Puerto Peñasco Hotels
- Galveston Hotels
- Cebu City
- La Spezia
- Laoag City
- Pattaya Warnings and Dangers
- Goa Warnings and Dangers
- Dominican Republic Warnings and Dangers
- New Orleans Warnings and Dangers
- Chicago Warnings and Dangers
- Angeles City Warnings and Dangers
- Puerto Rico Warnings and Dangers
- Boracay Island Warnings and Dangers
- Abu Dhabi Warnings and Dangers
- Madrid Warnings and Dangers
- Moscow Warnings and Dangers