Bahama Village, Key West

Know about this?

• Like any other place

by RevRandy Written Mar 20, 2008

If your idea of safety is suburban, Bahama Village may seem threatening. People are on the street, voice can get raised in greetings, dominoes click into the night. But, as a resident of the area I would not hesistate to walk anywhere in my neighborhood at any time. In fact, I have. And lest you immediately make assumptions about me, let me just say I sunburn easily so safety is not a matter of fitting any racial stereotype.

But there is a courtesy in the Village - we do not stare, we greet each other even if we do not know each other ("hi, how ya doin?"), and we do not cross the street just because someone we don't know is in the path of our original route. AND we respect private property and parking restrictions.

So. be warned - leave your prejudices at home; we can sense judgement but we can also sense appreciation.

Welcome to our neighborhood!

• dreamseeker's Profile Photo

Most of Key West is incredibly safe...but

by dreamseeker Updated Jan 3, 2003

In the daytime it is a lovely place. My favorite restaurant is there and a few of the most reasonable guest houses, especially up around Julia Street. But I would not go walking alone late at night in just any part of Bahama Village. The majority of folks that live there are truly nice & friendly to tourist people, but there are some backstreets I wouldn't feel safe wandering around in after midnight.

Instant Answers: Key West