Price Scams, Key West

Key West in Sand
    by mafootje
    Shop around!
    by tpangelinan
  • Regarding pedicab (bike taxi)

by Islandschick Updated Sep 19, 2010

I'm responding to the people who had concerns. I live in the Keys year round. Be sure to ask the pedicab their rate before getting in (the prices Fluctuate and Varies from cabbie to cabbie) sorry to say but it's based on your appearance (and if they think you are a tourist) (so if you are wearing a camera around your neck instant skyrocket) and they will also take advantage of you if your intoxicated. If you know your destination ask for a "flat rate to there" if they dont give you a better price say you will wait for someone else or catch a cab(have a map so you can see how many blocks your actually going) People who want to save money bring tennis shoes Key West is small Island you can probably walk from one end of duval to the other in 30 min. Cabs are a fair price and gets you there quickly. Cheapest bet for limited parking is to rent a scooter Or "electric car" parking for these is free on the whole island. The trolley is nice if you are planning on site seeing or spring breaking, or have a large group you can buy an all day pass and hop on and off as many times as you want. but the trolley s not for the all nighters (cab for that) it stops at 9 or 10pm depending on season.

Hope this helps

• Private Tow Away Zones

by MidwestVisitor Written May 5, 2010

Prices for towing from private tow away zones in Key West typically run around $300, if not more. It is a ripoff. Some signs say minimum $125 or $135, but don't be fooled. There are all kinds of hidden charges towing companies place on your bill. Maximum cost is not posted and not required by any law to be posted. In fact, there is no regulation of towing charges from private property in Key West, and towing companies can hold your car hostage while you fetch your credit card or run to the ATM to get $300 or more. Good luck! It's less expensive to get a $25 or $40 parking ticket on the street. Keep out of private tow away zone areas.

• Adventure Travel
    • Spa and Resort

• A&M scooter scam, Fake Damages

by joeldude Written May 27, 2009

When I rented the scooter, it had a litle scratch on the front left turn light. I returned it next day and when we went to get soem cash out, we didn't have any money. When i got home from my vacation, He had charged me 300$ for damages. Check your scooter before and after, or better yet, go get one from Moped hospital or Pirates, they have damage waivers and they give you free gas. If you search on the internet youre going to find out many people have been ripped off for this from the same people.

• Motorcycle

• Key West. Sunset Watercraft damage scam

by lanka02 Written May 29, 2008

In visiting key west recently we found key west sunset watercraft in the tourist booklet we had and decided to go jetskiing with them. During the 28 mile tour around the island, the guide would occaisonally stop and tell us about different areas. At each stop had us all come in and told us to shut off our engines (we did this at all stops, the guide would direct us and tell us to cut the engine so we could all hear). Once the engine is off, there is no steering capability in these machines.
    At one stop, the guide had me come in, directed me where to go and told me to cut my engine, which I did. He then took off to talk to another tourist. During this time, another person in our group (whether or not they had their engine on or not, I am still not sure) pulled near me and the waves were kind of choppy, so my front end hit their rear quarter. I tried to avoid, but since the guide had told me to cut my engine, I could not steer. I was shocked at the time since the force of the hit was not that strong that the quarter on their machine cracked a bit.
    When we returned to shore, I noted the incident occurred and the guide told me not to worry about it. However, being an honest person (much to my detriment in this case), I asked the manager if anything was owed and he started to get really agitated that the damaged occurred, and said I owed $600. He said that he was giving me a "deal" since most places on the island would charge more. I found that was a little excessive and I also felt at though this charge should not be shared between myself an the other driver, but I was pinned with the charge since he had already decided it was my fault. I tried to reiterate the story at this point , but I was very upset since there is no way I could pay for this. He brought in the other couple and instead of mediating a conversation he only put the blame more on me and asked them if they had anything to add. They were smart and did not say much.
    Next day, I tried to go back and reason with the manager now that I could actually speak clearly to pay half and he refused to even listen to me.
    I am now fighting charges on my credit card, but I feel completely helpless and taken advantage of here. I am an extremely cautious and honest person and always make sure I follow the rules as not to get burned. It obviously did not work to my advantage this time. Please be forewarned!

• Eco-Tourism
    • Water Sports

• AVOID keysboat.com Charged credit card but NO BOAT

by cabinfever Written Jul 4, 2007

I rented a jon boat from this company for one week. As soon as I faxed my
    credit card info, I was charged in full. Once we were in the Keys, my phone
    calls went unanswered. I left messages where I was with cell phone numbers,
    etc. Finally reached "Joe" around 11am and he said he was sending someone to
    deliver our boat. No one came and no one called. When we called him again, he
    told us the boat was at the ramp. We were staying right next to the ramp and no
    one was there. An hour later, someone called to say they were at the security
    gate. We went to let them in and NO ONE WAS THERE!! At 3:30pm my husband was
    able to talk to Joe again and told him we still wanted the boat but didn't
    think we should be charged for that day since we'd been waiting on it all day.
    Joe hung up on him.

Now we get our credit card statement and the $596.00 is on it and he won't
    refund the money because he said WE DIDN'T CANCEL THE BOAT!! I have never seen
    anyone so shady before. How do people like this sleep at night? Well, I
    cancelled my credit card and filed a police report.

What a creep.

• Fishing
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Water Sports

• mafootje's Profile Photo

Gasoline....

by mafootje Written Jan 18, 2005

Key West in Sand

Hey...your on a island where can you go for gas...well....not so far if you are staying here for a while. So the owners of gasstations know, prices here are very high compared to other places and sometimes you just need gas....

But if you think ahead you might be able to save some...

Gas prices between Miami and Key West are mostly the lowest in Key Largo....so if you are driving to Key West just top off your tank and save some cash....and if you do the same on your way back you might save again...

Picture taken december 6, 2004

• Spa and Resort
    • Music

• melmart44's Profile Photo

Bike Rides home

by melmart44 Written Mar 21, 2003

best part is watching the cute biker from behind!!

Make sure you ask the price before you get all the way home!! I got a bike one night from Duval and it was 3$ a person.. the next night when it was just me he charged me 15$ same ride, except I was by myself!! WATCH OUT!

• hayward68's Profile Photo

Not a danger, except to...

by hayward68 Written Aug 25, 2002

Not a danger, except to wallet. This is one expensive place to stay! Shop around for a good price. My trip was so last minute, so didn't get much of a chance.

Also, if driving down, fill up the car with gas before you leave Key Largo. The price of gas really jumps once you get further than this point.

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

Prices can be so different!

by tpangelinan Written May 20, 2003

Shop around!

Shop around and buy later. I saw items that could be up to 50% less from shop to shop. We window shopped for days, and bought on the last day. We saved a lot of money, and could buy more gifts.

• Seniors