T-Shirt Sharks, Key West

Duval Street Shop
    by grandmaR
  • t-shirt shops scam people in Key West

by 1234INFO1234 Written Feb 8, 2007

I went to Paradise T-shirts & was taken into an office to finalize the custom shirts & the price. The price was much higher than he had originally quoted. Avoid this place!
    Next, I went to the T-Shirt Factory. Toni took our order & told me when it would be ready...which was a complete fib.) Toni assured me that our custom made t-shirts woiuld be ready in week & a half at the latest. When I called a few times to ask the status, the design was never ready, & no t-shirts were made. They pride themselves that they make them on site, yet it took over a month to get any result...ie. a VERY simple design made. It was simple & boring. This took a month?! The was way past our deadline. We had decided to use this place after going to 4 other places, as she assured me they could do it in a week or 10 days. The fact is, they had nothing for us for a month. Their obvious priority was any order that was larger than ours. It was frustrating & disappointing. I would not recommend this place, as you can't rely on what they tell you. I had 2 weeks off to get this done & they wasted my efforts to meet our deadline. Whatever you do, get everything in writing & have them sign it, including the price, all the details & the date it will be ready!

• Business Travel

• GuyNoir's Profile Photo

Be careful of the Tee Shirt stores

by GuyNoir Updated Apr 12, 2006

Be careful of the Tee Shirt shops on Duval!

Don't use your credit cards in the Tee shirt shops! A few have been known to change the amount on the charge to a higher amount...especially for overseas buyers.

There was a police sting operation where an undercover police witnessed some major rip offs.

Some shops have code words that they use when they are deciding on which scam to run on you. Their most common scams are to ask you about 'customizing' a shirt and they start ironing on decals that you say you like even before you know the price. Before you know it they have just made a tee shirt that they are saying you need to pay $75 for!

They also say "I can't sell this to anyone else so you have to pay for it!" Just walk out or call the police. The police know about this scam and will protect you.

Also, a lot of the tee shirt shops have the same crass sayings (like: "I Love to Fart", "Tell your boobs to stop staring at my eyes", etc...) on the tees in the windows. I've thought, what is America coming to...I never see anyone wearing that crap on the streets?! Well, guess what, I talked to a friend in the Police department and NONE of those Tee shirt shops are owned by Americans!!!

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

T-Shirt Sharks

by grandmaR Written Feb 11, 2004

Duval Street Shop

The photo does not show one of the guilty T-shirt shops. I have not bought any T-shirts but it has been in the radio and newspaper news for some time.

T-shirt shops have been found guilty of scamming customers, failing to give written estimates of costs, and telling them how much T-shirts would cost after the work was done. Sometimes they would quote one price for the work and then charge another price at the the register. 37 out of 40 shops were in violation of the codes which are meant to stop these practices and eight of them were found guilty in a special master hearing in February 2004. Those shope are Smile Mon Inc., Smile Mon II, Sun Island, Coconut Island of Key West, Sunset Sport, Inc., Paradise Corner, Sivan of Key West and the Pelican. They were barred from making T-shirts for 10 days and fined $5000.00. The suspensions are being appealed.

• Cruise