Kissimmee Things to Do

gatorland zoo
    by doug48
    by doug48
    Big Toho Airboat Rides (2010)
    by Kaspian

Most Recent Things to Do in Kissimmee

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo

Annual Mecum Auto Auction-world's largest

by TheTravelSlut Updated Mar 20, 2013
    I was on LIVE TV during the auction

Every January the world's largest auto auction, Mecum, returns to Kissimmee, Florida (adjacent to Orlando and Lake Buena Vista) and auctions off millions of dollars of muscle cars, vintage cars and specialty vehicles in the huge Osceola Heritage Park (convention center).

There were over 3,000 cars for auction in 2013 and over 2,200 sold. A 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 Roadster sold for $735,000 the weekend I was there.

The event was held over 7 days with the final Saturday being the premier day to see the best of the best being auctioned off.

Ticketholders can both view the live day-long auction from inside the arena (convention center) or enjoy walking through the various tents that display auto memorabilia and related items or even cars in a queue waiting to be auctioned off or those that have sold

For anyone that loves cars, old or new, then spending a day here will certainly fulfill one's interest you will share in the energy of a car every 2 minutes being auctioned off.

• Museum Visits

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo

Splendid China no longer Exists... Sorry. Closed!

by Hexepatty Updated Apr 4, 2011

Well, you know us Americans. We are scared of SARS... having said that, I suggest -- Americans, that you just bring your fat bottoms down to Kissimmee's Splendid China and you can save TIME and MONEY! And isn't it the same, anyway?!

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

Big Toho Airboat Rides

by Kaspian Updated Jan 12, 2011

Big Toho Airboat Rides (2010)

With less than five minutes to spare before the last Big Toho airboat tour of the day is scheduled to leave, my companion and I arrive in the parking lot. I run to the bathroom while she hides behind the car to change her shirt into something a little less formal. We quickly walk/run across the muddy grass, climb on board the boat, and sit down beside the other passengers. I am ecstatic right now!
    When I first told my Floridian friends that I was coming to visit they suggested a kayaking tour of the swamps. "Wait, aren't there alligators in there?," I wrote back. Not concealing my trepidation at paddling alongside my most feared creature, I offered an alternative, "Don't you guys have those boats with the giant fans attached to the back, like I see on TV? They look like fun!" Once a novel idea gets in my head, it's stuck there permanently--I wanted to ride an airboat no matter what! Before I left, I bragged about it to friends, coworkers, and anyone who would listen--"We're going to do one of those giant-fan-swamp-boat things in Florida." "Cool! Those look awesome!," was everyone's jealous reply.
    And here I am with the biggest Cheshire cat grin on my face, sitting beside a beautiful red-haired girl, when the operator gets on board, climbs to his elevated seat, and announces, "My name is 'Captain Joe'!" He turns the key in the ignition, the huge fan blades whirl into action, and just like that, we're off--tearing across the lake. Could life possibly get any better than this?
    Normally I'm an environmental sympathizer, and most people wouldn't dream I'd entertain the thought of racing through protected wet lands, scaring the hell out of all the wildlife, on a giant, diesel-powered machine.... But in this case, I'll easily make an exception.
    When Joe stops the boat at the other side of the lake to collect fare from us passengers, I decide he is exactly the sort of man I want powering an airboat--a hardened outdoorsy guy with a sense of humour echoed through a heavy southern drawl. He hands me a wireless credit card machine and I pay him our admission. Woah, high-tech hillbilly'n!
    The captain manoeuvres the boat through some thick swamp grass and winds us around a bend into a river. My jaw drops open in awe! Set before me is one of the most surreal scenes I've ever laid my eyes on. The channel is flanked on both sides by tall trees, Spanish moss drapes from the highest branches all the way down to the river banks, crystal still water mirrors the image back in negative as the sun sets in pinks and purples somewhere over the wooded horizon. It's an alien world beyond my wildest imagination! ...A scene from a creepy yet wonderful Tim Burton movie. This is the land that time forgot.
    As if to add its own crescendo to this fantastic landscape, a bald eagle abruptly swoops down from the thick forest to cross the bow of our craft. Surprised passengers gasp in astonishment and we all begin scrambling for our cameras. Then there's another! A second eagle follows the first and together they soar magnificently off into the sky. I glance back behind me and even salty Joe himself even seems a little astonished by the display we just witnessed. But eagles aren't gators, and since Big Toho guarantees an alligator sighting, the captain turns the boat around in search of the giant, prehistoric reptile.
    Finally, the eyes and snout of a gator are spotted peeking from some grass in the distance off our starboard side. Joe slowly moves the boat forward for a better look and the creature retreats, swimming further and further out into the dark, open water of the Lake Tohopekaliga. I find myself suddenly feeling sorry for the poor beast. My most feared creature isn't anything like the angry, gnashing cartoon shown on the Big Toho web site--instead, it's timid and very frightened of us.
    As the tour finishes, the captain docks the boat and proceeds helps us all out. I leave him with a warm "Thank you," and $10 tip. This was a fantastic tour--one of my all-time favourites ever. The only thing that could have made it better if it was me up in the captain's seat! ...But I can save that for next time.
    See my "Big Toho Airboat Rides" video.

• Sailing and Boating
    • National/State Park

historic district

by doug48 Updated Jan 4, 2009

downtown kissimmee

most visitors to kissimmee miss the real kissimmee old town. the kissimmee historic district has an interesting collection of historic homes and buildings as well as shops, restaurants, and bars. an area worth visiting when in the disney world area.

• Architecture

old town

old town is a collection of shops, restaurants, and bars located on US192 just east of the I-4 exit. there also is a haunted house and amusement rides. on friday and saturday evenings they have a classic car show. admission and parking to old town is free. this tourist attraction should not be confused with the kissimmee historic district.

• Architecture

highway 192

hwy 192 tourist shop

highway 192 also called irlo bronson memorial highway and within the city limits of kissimmee vine street is the main road between disney world and downtown kissimmee. US192 is probably the tackiest and the most touristy 20 miles in america. US192 is lined with gaudy tourist shops, discount attraction ticket sellers, miniture golf courses, fast food restaurants, cheap motels, and low end amusement parks. but if you are a real tourist this street should not be missed. children will love it and anyone with culture and class will hate it but still it is an american phenomenon that is worth a visit.

gatorland

by doug48 Updated Mar 30, 2008

gatorland zoo

gatorland opened in 1949 and is one of central florida's oldest tourist attractions. gatorland is a zoological park that displays reptiles and other animals. an interesting pre-disney attraction to visit.

• Zoo

lake toho

lake toho

lake tohopekaliga or also known as just lake toho is located two blocks south of broadway in downtown kissimmee. there is a very nice park that has picnic tables and a walking trail along the lake. lake toho is one of central florida's best fishing lakes. you can hire fishing guides at the kissimmee marina. another reason to visit kissimmee's other "old town".

• Fishing

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

Gatorland Zoo

by smirnofforiginal Written May 3, 2007

Returning to Gatorland 15 years after my first visit I was pleased to see that other than the introduction of "feed the gators" (where you buy sausages and lob them at their heads!) nothing had changed at all!

There's still the little Gatorland train trundling about the park.
    There's still the opportunity to have your photo taken with a snake and a baby gator.
    There's still the Wrestlin' Gator show which is so lame - it's only saving grace is the kind of cute guy with the gator!
    There's still the Jumparoo Show where the gators leap out of the water to get their decaying food.

There's the disabled gator pen when deformed and mutilated gators can merrily live out their lives.... if they are not maed into nuggets first! Yes, Gatorland breeds alligators for food... being a vegetarian I declined the opportunity to try the gator nuggets!

It's kind of a fun place and what's nice is it's size - it's not got anywhere near the enormity of places like Sea World and Disney and as such, it's quite a gentle, less tiring day out. Definitely a good thing to do on a day following one of the biggies!

• Zoo

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

Red helicopters

by smirnofforiginal Written May 2, 2007

I rang them before we went to Florida to check to see if we needed to make a reservation. The answer is "no" but when I asked them to tell me a little about themselves they said (and I quote) "Madam, our helicopters are big & red"... and when we got there, yes... indeed they were!

In 2004 the prices were adult/child $65/50 for a 15 minute flight which was tour 3 out of a possible 6. We were given headphones to wear because it was so loud but the children didn't like them. Our, then 2 year old was frightened by the noise and our, then 4 year olde wasn't sure. We, as adults loved it.

We were flown all over Orlando - except over Magic Kingdom due to security measures.

Would recommend it!

• Adventure Travel

• mafootje's Profile Photo

Get the adrenaline pumping..

by mafootje Updated Apr 10, 2007

The coaster

Well i don't know it by experience but i can't think it doesn't do that to you.
    The skycoaster in Old Town Kissimmee is 300 feet high and does make all those simular rides that can be found around the world look like toys.

When you have been lifted up and then released you will reach speeds up to 85 mph.

For a map and video of this ride click here .

• bip_231's Profile Photo

Titanic Ship of Dreams exhibit

by bip_231 Updated Jul 5, 2006

'Titanic: Ship of Dreams' is located in the Mercado Shopping area on International Drive, and is worth a visit. Charting the 'birth' of the ship, to it's sinking, you're given a tour around the complex (but you have the oppertunity to go back on your own to read all of the information etc) which includes artifacts recovered from the ship, as well as mock-ups of several areas of the ship, e.g. first class suite. The guides were friendly and informative, as well as the attendant in the giftshop. Great place to visit if you're looking to do something other than theme parks!

• Museum Visits

• bip_231's Profile Photo

Florida aquarium

by bip_231 Written Jul 4, 2006

The Florida aquarium, located on Channelside Drive, Tampa, is a fantastic place to visit. We visited on a day when the weather wasn't so great, and as it's all indoors, we didn't have to worry about the weather. It's a great place to go, with a lot of animal exhibits, and things to see, such as animal talks, and feeding displays. It does take about 2-3 hours to go round, so leave plenty of time to see it all. We visited on a Sunday afternoon, during bad weather, and it wasn't too busy, but I'm sure it would have quieter in the morning, or on a week day.

It is a great place to visit though. It's informative, and educational, but in a fun way, we really enjoyed our visit.

• Aquarium

• yellowbell's Profile Photo

Safari Ride in Animal Kingdom

by yellowbell Written Mar 1, 2005

Enjoy the safari ride in Animal Kingdom - there's nothing quite like it. The truck takes you to the wide expanse of the jungle with elephants, rhinoceros, zebras, lions etc. The animals are not in cages but in their simulated jungle habitat.

Not to be missed also are shows like Tarzan Rocks where you can see acrobats and hear some rock music and Festival of the Lion King (a musical show). These shows are good opportunities to be indoors and take refuge from the heat.

• yellowbell's Profile Photo

Be a princess for a day in Disney's Magic Kingdom

by yellowbell Updated Feb 28, 2005
    Magic Kingdom

Watch at least one parade in any of the 4 parks of Disney because this is a good photo opportunity for the young ones or those young at heart like me! You will see floats of Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Pinnochio and all the magical Disney characters.

Instant Answers: Kissimmee

Comments

Kissimmee Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Kissimmee things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kissimmee sightseeing.